Driverside door lock acuator removal question

bikerjosh

Explorer
This is probably pretty easy question, but trying to do the "cautious" rather than "ham fisted" approach to removal. I have the dreaded auto, relock on the power door lock system where you press unlock and it relocks the doors faster than you can get them open. I removed the 2 10mm bolts that hold the assembly but in peering through the door with a flash light wired socket wouldn't seem to come loose (must be missing a retaining clip, day light might help) and the upper rod has a green plastic connector that holds it to the lock actuator arm. Any advice on freeing either of these.

Also from a continuity point wasn't sure if I should just post this convoluted question in my build thread?
thanks

nwoods

Expedition Leader
This is a very common issue, and to fix it, you need a new or different door switch control module. You do NOT need to replace the motor and rod assembly. The module itself is pretty easy to take out. There are two large screws in the interior door pull handle, and then the pushpins around the front perimeter of the door (or screws with caps if a Gen 2). Once the 4 or 5 pushpins are removed, you just pull the panel out and up to remove it. Flip the panel around, and there are a couple of screws holding the switch module to the door panel.

The wiring harness connector is a stiff one, but fiddle with it until your thumb finds the magic pressure spot to allow it to unclip.

NOTE! I might be mis-remembering this. I did my Volvo and Montero around the same time frame, and I might be remembering one or the other, but they were similar so you should be okay :)

bikerjosh

Explorer
Thanks, I took a look at it yesterday late afternoon. Wow, what a difference working in the light of day makes. LOL got it out with out incident. From what I read, the fault seems to occur from the internal bumpers on the actuator. Sounds like you are referring to the actual switch rather than the piece in lower left corner of the door? I better pull out my FSM and take a another look.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I thought it was an electronics failure, not mechanical. I haven't actually fixed mine, drives me nuts though. What's worse is that my external key lock on the drivers door works only sometimes. The front passenger key works, but the UpDown thing is worse on that side. The rear passenger door lock doesn't work at all. I'm *THIS CLOSE* to just resorting to Dukes of Hazard style entry.

drfreema

AEV JK350
This is a very common issue, and to fix it, you need a new or different door switch control module.
Just to be absolutely clear (since I have this issue, too), you need to replace the switch in the driver's side armrest that controls the windows and locks? I priced one out at the Mitsubishi dealer and it was $356. I found a used on on eBay for ~$30. I just want to be clear before I purchase. Thanks.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Just to be absolutely clear (since I have this issue, too), you need to replace the switch in the driver's side armrest that controls the windows and locks? I priced one out at the Mitsubishi dealer and it was $356. I found a used on on eBay for ~$30. I just want to be clear before I purchase. Thanks.

No in my case it was the actuator inside the door near the bottom. Check out my thread here, post #17 has a picture of it
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/130673-new-to-mitsubishi-group

drfreema

AEV JK350
bikerjosh and jlocster, thanks for the links.

I was digging through a bag of stuff the previous owner threw in the back of the truck and I found a used door lock actuator. I threw it in and it works. The only thing wrong now is that the key fob doesn't unlock or lock anymore. I'll throw a new battery in it to see if that's it but any other ideas?

drfreema

AEV JK350
So I feel stupid. I found out why the key fob didn't lock or unlock the doors after I changed the actuator. I had the doors open when I was trying the fob. The fob works perfectly as long as all the doors are closed. I feel stupid but I'm glad everything works. Lesson learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz