The Wanderers

superbuickguy

Explorer
Rick Sieman is a renown motorcycle racer and, as you will see (if you've never read the Wanderers while they were published in Offroad magazine) a very good writer. If you enjoyed what you read, do buy a copy of his CD on http://superhunky.com/

By way of introduction Carl is retired Navy, and Emma is his very patient wife. They travel the country in a pretty stout Suburban on 44s with a 454. It's fiction(ish).

THE WANDERERS #8

SHINE ON HARVEST MOON – PT 1

By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, they had just spent a consid¬erable amount of time with cranky old Uncle Howard in Ohio. Even though Carl had lost a trail-driving bet with Uncle Howard, he managed to gain a dog; specifically, he found a mangy mutt, named him Ace the Wonder Dog, and made him a permanent part of their traveling road (and off road) show.

We join them now, as The Whale heads south on Interstate 77. Route 77 wanders through Canton, Marietta and farther south into West Virginia via Charleston.
The Whale lumbered through Beckley and eventually into Blue¬field at the base of the Great Smoky Mountains. The massive mountain range loomed through a slight mist, majestic enough in its own right to stand up to anything Europe had to offer.

Carl looked up ahead, as the beautiful highway climbed up and up and up. Emma sighed. "Isn't it beautiful, Carl? Sort of takes your breath away!"
"Yup. Prettier 'n a gutted deer on the hood of a pickup truck."
Emma shuddered. "Carl, you certainly do have a way with words."
"Yeh, I do, don't I? Anyways, why don't you whip out that East Coast map and see how far it is to East Carolina?"
"You mean North Carolina, don't you!"
"That's what I said. You got wax in your ears, woman?"
Emma sighed again. "Well, we have to cross the mountains, then the first big city in North Carolina is Winston-Salem. Carl, would you mind telling me just exactly where we're heading? Or am I supposed to guess?"
"Here's the deal. North Carolina is tobacco country and one of the guys at that Boron gas station back in Ohio was telling me that you could get tobacco products down there real cheap. So I figure I could save a bundle and stock up on some chew. My favor¬ite brand of chewing tobacco is actually made at a plant some¬where south of Fayetteville. Yes sir, Mule Butt Chewing Tobacco is grown, harvested and processed in a little town by the name of Harvest Moon. Boy, talking about chewing tobacco is making my mouth water. Think I'll treat myself to a plug."

Emma started to say something, but thought better of it and instead grabbed a copy of People Magazine and started to read an article about Cher running off with the entire backfield of the Green Bay Packers. After all, Carl did stop smoking those horri¬ble green cigars. Still, that habit of his of spitting out the ...
Splat! Carl ejected a wad of juice out of the window of The Whale with deadly accuracy and blasted a roadside sign dead center. Yet another mist of tobacco juice wafted back to stain the driver's side of The Whale. A constant smile creased Carl's face and he turned to Emma: "Hey, honey pot, here we are in the Rockies, the home of Blue Grass music. See if you can get some of it on the radio."
"You mean Smokies, dear."
"Yeh, that's what I said."

Emma fiddled with the dials of the impressive sound system, not really sure of what she was doing. In the back of her brain, she had this small fear of hitting the wrong button and getting ejected through the - roof like one of those fighter pilots.
Eventually she stumbled on a control that changed the sta¬tions:

"... and that was Fester Dank and the Frog Mountain Boys playin' "I Met Her Under The Haystack And Got Stuck On The Pitchfork Of Love: Next, we'll hear from White Lightning Willy and the Stump Jumpers after this message from the Lumberton Chicken Farm down near ... "

…Dial, dial, dial. . .
" ... so you figure 41 bushels an acre without Wonder-Gro and at least double that with ... "

…Dial, dial, dial . . .
" ... songs for truckers only. So send $19.95 for your 50 greatest hits, including White Line Fever, Doomsday Hill, Outta Control and Haulin' Gas, and everyone's favorite, Don't Pass Me On The Right, 'Cause I Left My Heart For You. Remember, that's $19.95, plus $3.50 for shipping and han ... "

…Dial, dial, dial. . .
" ... We'll be here for the next four hours, just a pickin' and grinnin'; so stay tuned to the happy spot on your dial. We're gonna kick it off with Dueling Jugs, by The Newton Grove Corn Squeezers. . "

"Yup, that's it Emma. Leave it right there."
The sound of banjos being plucked filled the cab of The Whale and Carl slapped the dash and jiggled his head from side to side like a demented chicken. Emma sighed for the 200th time that day and tried to concentrate on her magazine article.
Ace the Wonder Dog slept soundly, with his tail moving in time to the music and a pool of drool formed under his jaws as he dreamed about chasing and catching fat juicy rabbits.

About four hours later, they crossed the magnificent Smokies and descended into the heart of North Carolina. Emma fumbled with the map and gave Carl directions. They peeled off of Highway 1 near Southern Pines and headed east toward Harvest Moon.

The two-lane blacktop road soon deteriorated into a hard packed dirt road, which got worse and worse the further they went. Ruts and bumps appeared, then rocks. Small ones at first, then slabs of granite. Carl drove carefully, driving around the worst rocks and ruts and letting the suspension suck up the small bumps and obstacles. The satellite dish on the roof of The Whale swayed gently, as did the boat and the two trail bikes hung on the bumper racks.

A moment later, a deer darted in front of The Whale and Carl yanked violently at the wheel, missing the deer by inches. The Whale careened off the side of the dirt road and the stomach wrenching sound of abused metal ripped through the cab, and tree branches flew all over place!
Emma clutched her chest and yiped. "Oh, Carl! I'm so proud of you. You made a heroic effort to miss that cute little deer and you saved its life. I could just hug you!"
"Hey, save your hugs for New Years Eve when they're playing some hot Guy Lombardo music. I woulda blasted Bambi there head on with a full throttle, but if you'll recall, I got a brand new winch on the front and I don't need to get the cable all gunked up with deer guts. As far as I'm concerned. Bambi got off real cheap. Tell you what though, if The Whale is hurt real bad, I'm gonna get one of my rifles off the roof rack and hunt that pointy headed hunk of venison and make a stew out of him."

Carl wheezed and grunted as he got out of the giant Suburban to inspect the damage. Emma heard a stream of curse words come out of Carl's mouth that would have curdled milk on a cold day. Apparently not all was well with The Whale.
Carl yanked the driver's side door open and snarled. "Well, Bambi put us in a fine fix. We got a hole in the radiator from a tree branch big enough to hide a ham sandwich. Hope I can find a place that's got some torches. I can braze that sucker shut."
Emma sighed yet another time. "But Carl, we're out here on a dirt road in the woods of North Carolina. I haven't seen a house for a half hour ... oh, Carl, I'm worried!"
"Hey, honey pot, don't you worry none. Old Carl has been in tougher situations than this and still come out smilin'. Got it?"
Emma emitted a weak smile, and nodded.

Carl got out and climbed the ladder on the back of The Whale to the roof. He peered around like a very fat Indian scanning the horizon, and finally found what he was looking for. "There's smoke, Emma. No more than a mile or two away. And where there's smoke, there's people. I figure we got enough spare water with us to keep fillin' the radiator without overheating and get us there. Looks like it'll be straight cross-country, but I think The Whale is more than capable."
Carl filled the radiator with water and grumbled as he watched the water pour out, then fired up The Whale and headed off through the deep woods.

Twenty minutes and three re-filling stops later, Carl broke into a clearing and breathed a sigh of relief. There were three buildings, a half dozen trucks and all sorts of equipment around. A long tall fellow with a straggly beard ambled over and leaned on the drivers side door.

"You folks lost?"
"Nope. We got a hole in the radiator and saw your smoke. I was hopin' you might have a set of torches handy so I can fix it up. I'm sure willing to pay a few bucks."
The tall man scratched his beard. "Well, Luke has the truck with the portable welders on it, and he's, aahh, out in the field makin' some repairs right now. Why don't y'all join us for a bite and some hospitality while we're waitin' fer Luke?"
"Hey, great! This here's my wife, Emma, and my name is Carl."
"Hidee. My name is Stanhope. C'mon and sit."
"Great! Nice spread you got here, Stanley."
"Stanhope."
"That's what I said."
"Okey-dokey. You folks care for somethin' to sip on?"
Emma smiled. "Yes, a cold soft drink would be nice."
Carl chuckled. "Being an old Navy man, I could go for someth¬ing a bit stronger. Maybe a beer?"
It was Stanhope's turn to chuckle. "Oh, I think we got sumpin' that'll clear your throat. C'mon over here behind the shed."

Carl followed Stanhope behind the shed and before he stopped walking, was handed a large clear jug. "Have a sip, said Stan¬hope.
Carl tilted his head back and took more than a sip. In fact, more than a slug. What he took was a big, big, super deep drink. And before he knew what was happening, the cool liquid was in his stomach. It was only when he took a deep breath that he realized that whatever he was drinking was certainly not lemonade.
Stanhope hooked a finger through the handle on the jug and took a pull himself, then handed it back to Carl, who took a snap, then handed it back to Stanhope, who took one more drink, to Carl who really nailed a deep one, and so it went, for the better part of an hour, while Emma had some lemonade with a nice lady named Louella.

The afternoon was hot, and Carl was thirsty. After an hour or so of "slacking" his thirst, Carl started getting a bit hungry. "Think I'll jump in The Whale and fix myself something to eat, Stanhope."
"You go right ahead, Carl ol' buddy. I sorta gotta keep an eye on things around here. I'll come an get you when Luke gets back with the welder."

Carl stumbled inside The Whale and extracted some cold sand¬wiches from the fridge, then tried unsuccessfully to get them in the microwave oven for a good ten minutes before he realized that he was trying to open the front of the TV.
He giggled, then ate the sandwich cold, and promptly fell asleep with a glob of mayonnaise dangling off the edge of his chin.

An hour or so later, he was awakened by the sounds of thumps on the side of The Whale. "Hey, Carl! Luke's here with the torch¬es. Let's get your truck fixed up."
Carl's head felt a little thick, but he figured he'd better get it in gear, so he stumbled out of The Whale, blinking in the bright sunlight. There was an old International pickup backed up to The Whale and it was loaded with welding equipment and genera¬tors. Quite a rig! Luke introduced himself and they hit it off well.

A half-hour later, they'd traded some chewing tobacco around and Stanhope brought the jug out again. Carl mentioned that maybe, just maybe, he ought to get busy and fix The Whale, but Stanhope said, "Hey, there's always tomorrow, Carl. Life's too short not to enjoy yourself. Anyways, one of the women is frying up a mess of fresh catfish and ya'll are invited to partake and camp the night, iff'n ya like." Carl smiled a crooked smile at Emma, who sighed once again, then tipped the jug back and took a deep swallow.

At that point, all hell broke loose. Gunshots filled the air and a bunch of men in uniforms charged into the clearing. "Don't anybody move! You're all under arrest for moonshining! Captain Parkins here will read you your rights, but if you make a funny move, you'll hear those rights through an extra hole or two."
Emma squeaked.
"Oh, Carl ... what have you gotten us into?"

What, indeed. Will Carl and Emma go to jail? Will The Whale get impounded and sold at auction? Next month, we find out the an¬swers to these and several other things too weird to consider this month.

THE WANDERERS #9

MOONSHINE BLUES - PART II

By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, Carl had stumbled on a moon¬shine operation in North Carolina and they were arrested with the nice folks who ran the still. They were loaded into a large green box van and driven to a nearby town, where they awaited booking and jailing. Emma cried crocodile tears the entire way back, much to the dismay of Carl and his new friends.

Stanhope sighed and said, "Shoot, I'm sorry, Carl. They wasn't due to raid us for another three or four weeks. Didn't mean for you nice folks to get your buns busted. Somebody musta forgot to pay off deputy Scumwald. He's supposed to get his two hunnert bucks a week regular as clockwork."
Carl spit a glob of chewing tobacco on the wall of the van. "Heck, that's OK, Stanhope. Wasn't your fault. We used to make our own drinking stuff when I was in the Navy. My favorite was Aqua Velva aftershave lotion and orange juice. Kept me occupied when I was out at sea, ya know. Anyways, what happens next?"
Stanhope scratched his straggly beard. "Well, they'll book us and bust up the still. Then they'll confiscate all the shine and probably make a tidy profit on it when they sell it to our regu¬lar customers. Ya know, we're proud of our brew. It's all natural ... no additives or junk like that. Just straight rotgut."
Emma whimpered in the corner. "Will it be the gas chamber or the firing squad, Stanhope?"
"Now, pretty lady, don't you worry none. Way I figure it is this. We post bail and maybe pay five hunnert bucks each in fines, then it's business as usual."
Emma wailed. " But I'll be a criminal! I'll be branded for life! They'll yank my 4x4 Owners Club license and I won't be able to get my 20 year pin!"
Carl looked at the rusty ceiling and sighed.

An hour later, the box van stopped and the dangerous prisoners were unloaded and herded into the jailhouse. A very large officer with several chins and a beer gut the size of a juke box motioned for them to have a seat. Huge patches of sweat stained the under¬arms of his shirt all the way down to his belt. A basket of 30-weight French fries sat on a pile of reports and a light layer of oil gleamed on the papers.
He sat down in front of an ancient Underwood manual typewriter and poked one key at a time with a huge forefinger. Every third word or so, he made a mistake and swore under his breath, as he was forced to correct it with an eraser.

Two hours later, he had all the reports done and herded the men into one cell, and clanked the door shut. He turned to Emma. "M'am, we ain't got no cell for women, so if you'd like, you can just sort of hang around the A&W Root beer stand next door. Or take in a movie. You don't look like the criminal type to me. Just make sure you show up here by tomorrow at nine AM when Judge Pinrod shows up. Okey dokey?"
Emma sniffed back the tears. "Can I call my lawyer?"
Carl yelled from the cell, "Emma, we ain't got a lawyer. Now go see a movie or something. Better yet, find out where they impounded The Whale and make sure it's OK."
Emma shuffled out, head hung low.
Carl looked around the cell and took a seat as far away as he could from the three winos sleeping on the floor. Stanhope alrea¬dy had a game of cards going with Luke and one of the deputies. Carl slumped down against a wall.

Three hours later, Carl was rudely wakened by the huge officer with the huger sweat stains. "Hey, you the guy what owns the big four-wheel-drive truck?"
"It's a Suburban, and yes, that's me. Why do you ask?"
"Well, seems that we just got a call over the radio. The Judge is stuck out in the woods over by Blister Creek. He went off the road trying to miss some stupid deer and he's stuck bad. Couple of guys tried to get him out and now they're stuck, too. Feel like lending a hand?"
"Why should I even think about helping that ... "
Ooooof! An elbow to the ribs by Stanhope stopped Carl in mid-sentence. "Sure, Officer Blint. My friend here would be glad to help out his honor. All we gotta do is make a small repair on his radiator first. Fred at the Texaco station can fix it up quick, and then we can get the Judge took care of."
Officer Blint grunted. "Good. But I'm going with you clowns, and if anyone makes a break for it, or tries anything funny, I'll shoot you a whole bunch of times and throw you back in jail later on. Got it?"
The men gulped. They had it.

The trail was rougher than Carl had imagined! A dirt road deteriorated into a miserable dirt road, which in turn degenerat¬ed into a sloppy muddy two-track bordering an evil-looking yellow water creek.
Officer Blint and Stanhope were wide-eyed as Carl fought the steering wheel and The Whale wallowed from side to side. Officer Blint spat a huge glob of tobacco juice out of the driver's side window and said, "We ain't gonna get stuck, are we? it gets worse further on up. We had us a lot of rain the last two weeks and this is lowlands, ya know."
Carl emitted a hearty laugh. "'Officer Blunt, I ... "
"That's Blint."
"Yeh, that's what I said. Anyway Officer Bonk, this here Suburban has a 454 under the hood, and it ain't even close to being stock. And those 44-inch Gumbo Mudders ain't on the wheels for decoration. I could probably idle straight up the side of a redwood tree if you'd clear the brush off."
Stanhope looked a bit green around the edges as The Whale's front end lifted over a rise, then slammed down to the ground.
"Are you gonna rip the front end off this thing, Carl?"
"Hey, calm down, Stanhood. I got 14 Ranchos up front and 18 of the puppies in the rear. The Whale can take a bump!"

Officer Blint pointed a finger straight ahead. "Carl,
we got to climb up this steep hill after you go around this here bend coming up. When it's dry, you got a 50/50 chance of making it to the top. when it's wet, well ... if it's just the same to you, I'll get out and walk up while you take your shot at it""
"What! And let me escape! Nope, you just hang on Officer Blimp and ... "
"That's Blint!"
"Yeh, that's what I said. You got one of those French fries stuck in your ear? Just hold on to the door real good and I'll give you one a those Disneyland E-ticket rides up the hill."

Carl saw the hill up ahead, and it was, indeed, a nasty one. He knew that the only way to conquer this hill was to use momen¬tum. Muddy slick uphills do not usually offer a great deal of traction.
Carl stopped and studied the hill for a few moments, with the engine idling comfortably in neutral. He put The Whale in reverse and backed up as far as he could and lined The Whale up straight and true with the hill.
He then smiled an evil smile and said, "Hang on, Officer Blintz . We're goin' hill climbing!!!"

Carl clicked the shifter into second gear in four low, and pinned it. The mighty 454 hesitated for a micro-second, then The Whale lunged forward like a Top Fuel dump truck. The tach read 6500 rpm and the Econo-meter blipped red lines and told Carl that he was getting 1.2 miles per gallon at the moment.
The Whale charged up the base of the hill and hit the first jump wide open. The engine screamed its guts out as all four wheels cleared the ground, then snapped the heads back on all the occupants as The Whale hit the ground and threw four giant rooster tails.
The Whale continued its charge up the hill straight and true. Carl kept the wheels in the ruts and the pedal stayed right on the metal. About 50 yards from the top, The Whale started to bog down in the deep mud and Officer Blint yelled, "We're gonna die!"
Carl just smiled and reached over to the dash and flipped a chrome toggle switch. Immediately, the engine barked and emitted a huge roar. "Nitrous oxide, Officer Blump. Kicks in another 250 horsepower or so."
Stanhope clawed his fingers into the seat back and started singing Rock Of Ages at the top of his voice, and Officer Blint merely closed his eyes while his sweat stain doubled in size.
Amazingly, The Whale clawed over the top cleanly and sailed 30 feet past the crest, landing neatly on the downslope.
Stanhope stopped singing and clapped Carl on the back. Officer Blint let out a mighty breath of air, that smelled like a MacDon¬alds counter.

Ten minutes later, they came upon the carnage of the Judge stuck off the side of the road and two other trucks buried to the cross-members.
Carl got out and took charge. "Which one a you guys is the Judge?"
"I am. Judge Pinrod at your service. And I thank you for coming to our rescue."
"Well, listen up, Judge Pinhead ... "
"That's Pinrod, sir."
"That's what I said. Anyways, you get in that truck of yours and point the wheels up toward the road, I'll get the winch out. Don't fire it up until I tell you. And when I do tell you, I want you to pin it. I hope you got a V8 under the hood of that Dodge."
"Nope. It's a six. But it's a good one."
"Judge Pinwheel, there ain't no such thing as a good six. Whatever. When I give you the signal, floor it."

Carl strung out the winch cable and hooked it to the front of the Dodge truck, then gave the signal. The engine roared and the winch whined ... and the bumper of the Dodge ripped off and flew over the trees, out of sight.
Carl grunted. "Maybe I should have hooked it to the frame instead. Let's give it another shot. And this time, pay atten¬tion."
Stanhope looked up at the sky and moaned quietly.

Carl rooted around underneath the Dodge and hooked the winch around a frame rail, then got the winch taut. He nailed the winch lever and gave the Judge the signal. The winch whined and strained, but started pulling the buried truck out of the goo.
Judge Pinrod screamed the throttle and the Dodge shuddered and shook, and eventually rose free from the mud. Two minutes later, the Dodge was up on level ground again, blowing steam like a 200 year old train.
Ten more minutes of work had the other two trucks free, and hearty smiles were exchanged by all.

An hour and a half later, they were back at the jail and the Judge decided to hold the hearing right there on the spot.
"I find the defendants sort of guilty, but because of their willingness to help a neighbor in need, the charges are official¬ly dropped. Now, if'n y'all will join me down at the Rusty Nail Bar and Grill and Bar, I'm buying drinks for the house."
Carl beamed and Emma beamed even more. "Oh, Carl! We're not criminals. In fact, we're heroes! I'm so proud of you!"
For the first time in his life, Carl blushed. "Hey, don't thank me, honey pot. Thank Judge Pinhead, here."
"That's Pinrod."
"Yeah, that's what I said. Now let's go have us a couple or three beers."

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Hehe, yep. I kinda miss The Wanderers. Then again, I also miss Willy Worthy, and Superdawg....not to mention the Desert Fox, Granny King.

Yep, fun days back then. A different time.

Hard to believe it was 1989 that granny passed on....hard to believe

98dango

Expedition Leader
You have no idea how many reports is did for school on the wonders and Grandville king. Simpler times my friends

Czechsix

Yep. Simpler times, it's true.

There always seemed to be something else coming up that prevented me from swinging by Grannie's place. Work. School. Women.

Never did manage too, came close a few times, but never did. Then the chance disappeared altogether.

I regret not having a few beers with the guy, and throwing a couple of bones out for Superdawg - whatever version he was on at that time.

Not many folks remember him now, but if you wheeled back then....you knew him. I'll have to hoist a cerveza to his memory tonight.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Rick Sieman is still around - perhaps dropping him a note (he responds) would be good idea? I'm not your conscience, but the little I know of him thinks he'd appreciate the kind words. He's had a rough go of it recently.

I doubt I'd do Overland were it not for him and the adventures he wrote about.

Czechsix

Yep, I stop by Super Hunky writings every so often. I wrote a few "thanks" notes over the years to him when it strikes me.

Haven't checked on him for a while - what's he having a rough go at?

superbuickguy

Explorer
He got sick and had to move back from Mexico, the treatment bills are - in the words of others - difficult to manage. He'd never, ever complain - but as I've really enjoyed his writing and he doesn't know where I am to yell at me - I'll simply say, kind words now mean a lot. Buying his CD with all the stories on it as well gives the opportunity to do a fair exchange and helps him out without charity.

I promised occasional posts of his story. The next post will be another of his

superbuickguy

Explorer
THE WANDERERS #13

ON THE ROAD TO MIAMI - SORT OF

By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, they had just spent a few fun-filled weeks with a speed trap-operating cop in Georgia, and in the process, had managed to break up a ring of 4x4 thieves. They were next headed for Florida. Specifically, Miami. We join them now as they wander (what else?) south on Interstate 75.

Emma looked up from her knitting and asked, "Carl, I'm curi¬ous. Normally you don't take big freeways like this."
"Interstate, Emma. Interstate. There is a difference."
"What's the difference, dear?"
"Ummm, well, er, ahhh... you see, an interstate is funded by Republicans and a freeway is funded by Democrats. Yeah, that's it."
Emma beamed. "Carl, you're so smart! I never knew that. But anyways, why are we on this interstate instead of one of the backroads we take most of the time?"
"Its because I'm in a big hurry to get to Florida. You know I was in the Navy for 29 years, 11 months and 53 days, right? Well, I got some fond memories of the time I spent in Jacksonville and Sanford. I want to sort of drive by there and maybe look over the old stomping grounds. So I want you to keep an eye out for High¬way 10. That'll take me right ********** to the middle of Jackson¬ville. "
"Dear, this map says that 10 is an interstate, not a highway. Is there some other kind of difference I still don't know about?"
"Uhh, yup. You see, a highway is not quite as wide as an interstate, and if it is, you can't hardly make out the dif¬ference just by looking at it. You ever see those guys out on the roads with those binocular-looking deals on the big tripods? Well, they're out there to measure whether it's a highway or an interstate."
"Oh, Carl, I just don't know how you manage to squeeze so much knowledge into your head."
"Well, I don't let it swell my noggin woman. Anyways, enough about roads and such. See if you can get something decent on that radio."

Emma fiddled with the dials on the imposing multi-bucks radio, and eventually found a control that changed stations.

Brrrraaaap ... zzzuup ... skritttch ... went the noise from the radio as the dial was turned from right to left.

" ... So stop by the Stuckey's nearest you and enjoy our pecan pie special. Now, back to our music, featuring Wesley Dank and the Pigtown Boys playing one of the biggest bluegrass hits this year, 'Don't Leave Me for a Trucker or a Cowboy, Just Jump off a Cliff Instead'... "'

…Dial, dial, dial…
" ... and we can expect a 90-percent chance of rain today across the southeastern seaboard, with humidity in the high ..."

…Dial, dial, dial…
" ... should be a great day today, with virtually no chance of rain and a brisk breeze from the south in the coastal region, with ... "

…Dial, dial, dial…
" ... and dry, hot winds from the west should virtually guar¬antee hurricane conditions if the cool air from the east hits it off the coast, so batten down the ..."

"Whoa, did you hear that, Emma? When I was in the Navy in Florida, the big seller was YooHoo Chocolate Soda. Looks like tastes have really shifted towards Coca Cola. Maybe we ought to invest a few of our retirement dollars in a Coke distributorship?"
"Oh, Carl, here's Highway 10. You have to head east here.'
"Hey, you're talkin' to a Navy man. I know the points of the compass like the back of my head. You just sit back and knit or read one of them wimmins magazines about mutant hormones, and leave the driving to old Carl."

Carl studied the maze of signs ahead, then guided the huge Suburban through the cloverleaf turns, eventually settling down to a cruising speed exactly two miles per hour over the speed limit.
Emma coughed quietly "Dear, are you sure you're going the right way?"
"Woman, just make like this is a Greyhound and leave the driving to me. I'll wake you up when the majestic Atlantic Ocean rolls into sight. Next stop, Jacksonville, home of a great Naval Air Station."
Emma crossed her arms, pouted and mumbled something under her breath. Carl drove happily on, spitting a wad of tobacco juice out of the window of The Whale every 6.2 miles or so, depositing yet another stain on the flank of the huge Suburban.

Hours later, Carl nudged Emma awake, and proclaimed, "There it
is Emma. The mighty Atlantic - the wettest and deepest of the 11
seas, and there's Jacksonville in the distance. Sorta puts a lump in my throat."
Emma snuffled. "It ought to put a real big lump, Carl. See that sign up ahead? It says 'Pensacola - 7 miles'. If that's the Atlantic Ocean l'm Jacqueline Cousteau."
"What ... wha' ... where ... How in the ..."
"Simple, dear you turned west when you should have turned east way back there, where 75 met highway 10. I tried to tell you, dear, but you wouldn't listen. Noooooo, you told me to go to sleep. Well, Mr. Navigator-Compassman, I'm going back to sleep. Wake me up when we do get to Jacksonville."
Carl swore a hearty string of Navy curses and swung The Whale around. The squeal of the tires was almost loud enough to drown out the giggling coming from the passenger's seat.

At Tallahassee, Carl swung south on 363, taking them close to the Gulf of Mexico. The white sand against the blue water was a thing of beauty, and they stopped for a while, found a two-track road leading to the beach, and parked The Whale there for two days.
For those two glorious days, they truly lived the good life. Carl fished in the small inlets, while Emma cooked some great meals. In the evenings, they sat in lawn chairs, running their toes through the warm white sand, sipping a cold drink or three.
To cap it off, they retired to the interior of The Whale, turned on the television, lined up the satellite dish and watched wres¬tling until they dozed off.

After the welcome camping break, they loaded up The Whale, and drove carefully down the sugar-sand road to Highway 98, which they took east to 27. Instead of heading back to the main roads again, Carl kept to the tiny back roads and got a genuine view of the real Florida that the tourists never get to see.

They passed small lakes where cattle stood knee-deep in water, munching on tall green grass. He drove by groves of orange trees, tidy little farms, towns that appeared to be straight out of the 1950s and sections of swamp land that looked like primeval bogs. They explored some interesting dirt roads, wandered from pavement to dirt, and back again. They stopped to eat along the way in small diners, and had real, fresh, orange juice, great seafood dinners and pecan pie with near-sinful richness.

Eventually, they arrived at the outskirts of a big city. This time, the sign said Jacksonville. Carl had no trouble whatsoever finding his way to the massive Naval Air Station, and after getting a visitors' permit, was allowed to drive on the base.
He pointed out the magnificent aircraft and huge hangars to Emma, who "ooohed" and aaaahed" with genuine appreciation. Smart¬ly dressed sailors walked around, looking much like starched penguins.
Emma pointed "Why are those sailors over there dressed so funny, dear?"
"Them ain't sailors, Emma. Them's jarheads."
"Jarheads!"
"Yeah, Marines. Swimming pool sailors. Their insignia is a chicken standing on a basketball with an anchor hanging from its butt. lf you can t read or write, you get to be a Marine. lf you're smart, you get to be a sailor."
"Gosh, I never knew that, dear!"
"Don't ever forget it, Emma."

After two hours, Carl had seen enough to convince him that the Navy was still functioning strongly, despite the fact that he was no longer in it.
They drove The Whale up to the gate and Carl went inside to sign out and return the visitors' pass. The Lieutenant JG behind the desk was courteous. "Well, sir. How did you like your tour?"
Carl beamed. It was the first time he'd ever been called sir by an officer
"It was great! You know, I just retired from the Navy a few years ago, and this sure brought back a lot of memories."
"Well, l'm glad you enjoyed it, sir. Where, to now? Back home?"
Carl scratched his chin. "Nope. It's off to Miami for us. l'm going to look around a little bit, relax and maybe try to work out a deal where I can distribute some Coke and turn my retire¬ment money into some real bucks!"
The eyes of the young officer turned deadly cold.
"Sir, please leave this facility right now. And if I see your face again, I'll shoot you in both legs on the spot!"
Carl, stunned, took Emma's arm and escorted her out to The Whale. As they drove away, very confused and puzzled, Emma shook her head and asked, "Carl, why do you think that nice young man turned so nasty all of the sudden?"
Carl spit a wad of Red Man out of the window! "Dunno. Must be a YooHoo cola man."

Good Lord! What is Carl getting into? He's heading south to Miami, the drug center of the United States, and doesn't know the difference between coke and Coke. I don't know about you, but frankly, I'm concerned about what's coming up!

Czechsix

He got sick and had to move back from Mexico, the treatment bills are - in the words of others - difficult to manage. He'd never, ever complain - but as I've really enjoyed his writing and he doesn't know where I am to yell at me - I'll simply say, kind words now mean a lot. Buying his CD with all the stories on it as well gives the opportunity to do a fair exchange and helps him out without charity.

I promised occasional posts of his story. The next post will be another of his

Is he still at Superhunky.com?

Ya know, I completely forgot about that cd offering....I'm gonna go pick up a few, some as Christmas presents.

Thanks for the reminder.

superbuickguy

Explorer
THE WANDERERS #17

BLUNDERING THROUGH BAJA WITH CARL AND EMMA

By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, they had just crossed the border heading into Mexico. While chatting with the border guard, Carl found out that the Baja 500 race was being held the upcoming weekend and jokingly said that he just might enter the event. Or was he joking?

We join them now as they wave goodby to the border guard and head in to beautiful downtown Tijuana.

Carl looked up at the signs with the foreign names and arrows pointing here and there, and said to Emma, "Hokey dokey, the trick here is to ignore all those other signs and just look for the town we’re headin' for. And that town is Ensentango.

Emma peered at the map. "You mean Ensenada, dear."

"At’s what I said. You got bean dip in your ears, woman? Now just keep your peepers peeled for Enchilada. I don't want to take a wrong turn and end up in Texas.

The huge Whale lumbered through the streets of Tijuana, sharp contrast to same of the aged taxis and oil spewing cars that roamed the streets. Emma sat on the edge of her seat like a nervous bird and pointed out the correct turns and lanes.

Remarkably, Carl was able to navigate the twisting lanes and turn-offs, and reached the main highway that flanked the beautiful Pacific Ocean, heading south.

Carl bit off a plug of Red Man tobacco and moved the wad over to his left cheek. "How 'bout that, Emma? Got through that border town clean as a whistle."
"Yes, dear. You did real good."
"Yeah, didn't I though? Ya see, Emma, the secret is being able to read the signs. Like that one up ahead that says CURVA PELIGROSA'. That means DANGEROUS PELICANS, so you gotta watch out for large birds that nest here close to the ocean and …”
Emma shrieked and pointed straight ahead! A sharp curve was directly in front of them and The Whale was going way too fast. Carl slammed on the brakes and the big tires howled in protest. At the last micro-second, Carl got off the brakes and pitched the steering wheel hard left.
The Whale slewed sideways like a dirt tracker and Carl sawed at the steering wheel, trying to keep control. Inside The Whale, loose items started to obey the Law Of Gravity. A half-eaten bowl of Sugar Frosted Flakes slid across the sink top and blasted into the side of refrigerator. A small radio fell off the shelf and landed on the head of Ace the Wonder Dog, who was busy sleeping and dreaming of big bones at the time.
Ace yelped in stark raving terror and leaped into Carl’s lap, which did not help steering accuracy. The Whale left the edge of the paved road and hit a nasty rut. More things flew around inside the huge Suburban.
A copy of the World Wrestling Federation Magazine fluttered though the air and landed on top of Carl’s head, effectively cutting off his vision. Forty or so empty beer cans split open a paper bag and danced around the cab like popcorn in a popper. A half dozen knitting needles flitted through the air and ended up quivering like arrows in the back of the seat cushions.

The Whale bounded into the air and Ace the Wonder Dog howled
mournfully and slobbered a whole bunch of dog spit all over Carl’s
face. Emma clasped her hands together and started reciting the Lord's Prayer.
A loud popping sound told Carl that a tire just blew, and The Whale teetered sharply over. Through sheer instinct, Carl steered hard on opposite lock and The Whale thumped back down hard on all four wheels and, thankfully, came to a stop.

Carl switched the key off and let out a sigh of relief. Ace the Wonder Dog quivered with fear, then his kidneys sort of lost control arid he wet all over Carl’s lap. Carl pushed the dog off his lap, and let out a long sigh. "Emma? We got three things to do here. First, I gotta changed a busted wheel. Second, I gotta check out The Whale and get us back on the road. Third, I gotta get my shotgun out and kill this mutt extremely well."
Emma got a tough look on her face and pointed a finger at Carl. "If you touch one hair on Ace's head, I will get very mad and I will stay very mad forever, Carl. And one more thing. That sign back there did not mean DANGEROUS PELICANS, it meant DANGEROUS CURVES. I read that in the book the AAA gave us about driving in Mexico. That's the book you didn't want to read.
Remember?"
Carl sighed. "OK. OK. I got the message, but I ain't too happy about life in general right now. Think about it. I damn near crashed The Whale, I ruined a wheel, maybe tweaked somethin’ underneath, made a mess inside the cab and the mutt slobbered spit all over me and then took a leak on my lap. To top it all off, I just swallowed my tobacco and I think I'm gonna be sick."
It was Emma's turn to sigh. "Well, you just go ahead and do what you have to do dear, I'll tidy up inside The Whale.”

A half hour later, Carl and Emma were rolling down the highway once again, with Carl looking a little pale around the gills. A few minutes later, a toll booth rolled into view. Carl reached into the little tray on the dash for some coins and then did a double take. "Emma! They want 1200 bucks to use the toll road! I'm headin' back to the states quick as I can!"
Emma thumbed through her handy dandy little guide book. "Don't panic dear. That means pesos, not dollars."
"Pesos, dollars, what's the difference? We're talking big bucks here."
Emma got out her pocket calculator and smiled. "One dollar is worth 2700 pesos, dear. That means that 1200 pesos is worth about 45 cents."
Carl got a puzzled look on his face. "So, you mean if I give a Mexican bank a couple of quarters they're gonna give me over a thousand of their dollars back? Emma, if that's true, we're rich!"
"No dear. The buying power of a peso is quite a bit different than the dollar. Let me give you an example. How much would a new Suburban cost?"
"A stock one, with four wheel drive? I dunno... maybe $25,000.”
Emma punched some numbers in her calculator. "That Suburban
would cost you... oh, about sixty seven million, five hundred thousand peosos.”
"What! That's outrageous! Where do they get off asking that much?”
"Never mind, dear. Give the nice man at the toll booth two quarters, please.”
Carl leaned out the window and handed the tollkeeper two quarters. "Hey, buddy. I'm payin you in good old U.S. money. You ain't gettin any pesos out of me."
The man gave Carl a nickle back in change and smiled.
"Whatever you say, senor. Enjoy your stay in Mexico. Buenas dias.”
"Yup. And buenas airhose to you."

They rumbled slowly south, keeping the ocean to their right and marveling at the contrast. On the ocean side, there was greenery, white beaches and brilliant blue water. On the left, baked dry mountains and hostile-looking desert terrain.

Carl looked off the to left. "Ya know, Emma, there's some dirt roads over there that are just beggin' to be explored. And it looks like some of em head south in the direction we're goin’ . Let’s give it a shot; I'm gettin' tired of this pavement."
Emma fidgeted in her/seat. "Now, dear. We could get lost. Remember the time you got us lost in Ohio. Then there was that time in West Virginia... and three or four times in Texas and once in Nevada and..."
"Jeez, put a lid on it, woman. There's no way to get lost here. All I have to do is keep the ocean on my right side and I'm headin' in the right direction. Only a pinhead could get lost with an ocean in sight."

Thirty minutes later, Carl was hopelessly lost. He was in a canyon with tall walls all around him. The terrain was brown and the only vegetation was stunted scrub brush and the odd cactus.

Emma had a concerned look on her face “Carl, what are we going to do? We're in the middle of Mexico and we're lost."
Carl smiled. "What else? We eat. Let's have us a good meal and see if maybe we can catch some wrestling on the TV. Tell you what... you start the cooking and I'll crank the satellite up. But first, let's park The Whale right in the middle of this here fireroad. That way, when somebody drives by here, they gotta stop and then we can get some directions out of here Hey, if worse comes to worse, we just camp out for a few days. Now, quit jawin' and fry me up a pound or two of bacon and somethin' to go with it."

All things considered, they had a delightful evening. The meal was simple, good tasting and filling, and Carl sucked down a 12 pack of beer while Emma sipped a small glass of wine. Then they watched Wrestlemania on video tape (for the fourth time) and folded the bed down for a good nights sleep.

It was dawn when the sound of a snarling engine woke them up. Carl peered out of the window and saw a very odd looking truck sitting there. It sat poised high in the air and sported a whole bunch of shocks and big, gnarly tires.
There was a roll cage visible and inside the cab sat a man with a helmet on. He waved at Carl. Carl pulled on his sweat pants and stumbled outside. "Hi there. Name’s Carl and we're sorta lost. Think you might point us in the right direction?"

The big man inside the truck got out. "Sure thing. The name's Ivan Stewart. Be glad to get you to the highway."
"Thanks, Alan. Appreciate it. Why don't you take a break and have a cup of coffee with us first."
"Sure thing, Carl. The name is Ivan."
"Yeah, I heard you the first time, Evan. Come on in and meet the missus."

The two men stepped inside the roomy Suburban and Ivan let out a whistle. "Nice set-up. Looks like you’ve got most everything you might need for camping out."
"Thanks, Elvis. Say hullo to Emma."
"Pleased to meet you. The name is Ivan. Uhh, here's my card."
Emma studied the card for a moment. "Oooooh! Why, you're Ivan Ironman Stewart. I saw you on those Toyota commercials. Carl, this here is the famous racer Ivan Ironman Stewart."
"Hey, this is quite a thrill. Imagine meeting Ironjaw Stewart in the middle of Mexico. What you doin down here, anyways?"
"The name is Ironman, Carl, and I was down here practicing for the race. We call it pre-running."
"Wow, that's neat, Ironbutt. Tell me a little bit about this here race."
"The name is Ironman, and the race is the Baja 500. It starts in Ensenada, wanders around for about 500 miles, then ends up back there."
"Ensenada? Is that anywhere near Enchilada? That's where we're goin'."
Emma sighed. "Carl, the name of the town is Ensenada, not Enchilada."
"Whatever. Say, listen Ironhead, I was thinkin' of entering the race. What class would I have to run in?"
"What would you be racing?"
"What else? This. The Whale. My Suburban. It’s got a 454 under the hood that runs about 550 horsepower. Course, I realize that I'd have to take the boat off the roof and remove the satellite dish, and maybe duct tape the stove and fridge door shut..."
Ivan's eyes got real wide.
"Uhhh, yes, and you might have to take those two trail bikes off the bumper racks, and most of us racers usually remove the outside awnings before we roll up to the starting line. And I'd probably leave most of the fishing rods somewhere before I hit the first turn. And there will probably be some modifications needed to meet the rules, so maybe you better check with the race promoters before you start ripping stuff out."
Carl scratched his chin. "Yeah, you might be right, Ironlips. Say, do you mind if me and Emma follow you in to Enchilada and maybe you can introduce me to the race promoters?"
Ivan smiled. "No problem. Let’s have that coffee and then head for Enchilada."
Carl poured some coffee. "You mean Ensenada, Irongut. All you racers have trouble with names?"
Emma sighed. This was going to be a long trip.

superbuickguy

Explorer
When we last left Carl and Emma, they had gotten lost in Baja on the way
down to Ensenada to see (and possibly race in!) the Baja 500. After
camping out overnight, Ivan Ironman Stewart stumbled across their camp in
the early hours of the morning while pre-running for the event. After
sharing coffee, Ironman agreed to lead Carl out of the back country into
the town of Ensenada.

Carl quickly broke camp as Emma did the dishes, then went out to inspect
Ivan's truck. "Say, Ironbutt, that there's a funny looking truck you got
there. Ain't enough room in the back for a sheet of plywood. Hope you
didn't pay too much for that unit. What's it worth, anyways?"
Ivan smiled. "Oh, I'd guess maybe four or five hundred thousand at the
outside. Of course, the radio's extra."
Carl let out a low whistle. "Hooooeeee'. Man, you coulda got a whole bunch
of Suburbans for that kind of money. And you can only get one person in
the front. Whattsa matter? They charge you extra for seats?"
Ivan bit his lip to keep a straight face. "You see, Carl, this is a
special kind of racing machine. It's made to do one thing, and that's to
go fast over bumpy ground."
Carl scratched his chin. "That means you gotta have some good shock
igsorbers under them fenders."
"You mean shock 'absorbers ..."
"Yeah, that's what I said. All them races affect your hearing or
something? Anyways, I found that if you can't afford a good set of
Ranchos, you can take some Monroe Adjusto-matics like they used to run on
El Caminos and drill a hole in 'em and take the old oil out and pour in
some Motor Honey instead. You can't hardly bottom them suckers then. No
charge for that tip, Ironhead.
"Uh, yes... well, thanks Carl. Listen, why don’t we get rolling here real
soon. I want to get back into town and have my crew make some changes to
the truck. Tell you what, I’ll just go nice and slow and you hang back
about a hundred yards so don't have to drive in the dust and..."
Carl cut in. "Listen up, Ironlips. Don't you worry none about me keepin'
up. I got a 454 under the hood and it ain't exactly stock. Whadda you got?
One of those four bangers? Or maybe a six? Your biggest problem will be
worrying about me banging into your rear end if I can't get on the brakes
quick enough. So you just get that Nissan up to speed and..."
"It's a Toyota..."
"That's what I said. Anyways, let's head for Enchilada and have a couple
of manzanitas to cool us down."
"You mean margaritas and ... oh, never mind."

Ivan fired up the nasty sounding race truck and smoothly got under way.
Carl lit off the 454 and threw up a fine looking pair of rooster tails.
Ivan drove easily and munched on some dried fruit as he enjoyed the sights
of the rugged back country.
At the same time, Carl was hammering the throttle and yanking wildly on
the steering wheel. Emma let out a squeal: "Carl, you slow The Whale down
or I'm going to poke one of my eyes out with this knitting needle. How do
expect me to finish this sweater if you drive like a wildman?"
Carl glanced over at Emma and yelled over the roar of the engine: "Hey,
put that sheep hair away and keep your seat belts tight. This here's good
practice if I up and decide to enter the Baja 600."
"You mean the Baja 500, dear."
"Yeah. That one, too, soon as I get done with the 600 first. Anyways, that
Irongut fella can sure drive. It's takin' everything I got to stay with
him."

Meanwhile, up front, Ivan was turning map pages with his right hand, while
steering with his left and balancing a bag full of dried fruit on his lap.
The Toyota had been in second gear for 20 minutes and the engine was
burbling just above idle.
Back in The Whale, magazines were fluttering through the air, fishing rods
were banging against the roof liner like limp celery, bags of chips were
splitting open, Ace the Wonder Dog was yelping as his food bowl clonked
him on the head, the refrigerator door flapped open and closed, the boat
on the top clanked up and down and the chemical toilet started flushing
itself every 20 seconds.

Up front, Ivan yawned and adjusted his sunglasses as the morning light
streamed through his windshield. The ancient two-track road wandered
through some canyons flanked by tall walls. Scrub brush and gnarly little
cactus dotted the landscape here and there.

The odd looking team of vehicles crested a rise and before them the mighty
Pacific Ocean came into view. It was a breathtaking sight. Ivan stopped
and hopped out. Carl screeched up behind the Toyota and tumbled out of The
Whale. A toaster, 11 magazines, five cans, a pair of binoculars, several
fishing reels, one box of Kelloggs Corn Flakes, a jar of peanut butter,
one tennis shoe and a medium-sized mutt fell out of the door well to the
dusty ground.

Ivan pointed to the ocean, which was hundreds of feet below. "Thought you
might enjoy the view."
Emma gushed. "Oh Carl, it's gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen
anything quite as beautiful!"
Carl bit off a plug of Red Man chewing tobacco and offered Ivan some,
which he politely declined. "Yup. The Mighty Gulf of Mexico," said Carl.
"It sort of takes your breath away."
Emma looked at Ivan and Ivan just held both hands at shoulder level, palms
up, and didn't even bother to correct Carl.

Twenty minutes later, they intersected the main highway heading into
Ensenada, where Ivan met his Toyota/PPI crew. Ivan gave directions to Carl
on how to find the SCORE people who were running the race, and they shook
hands and parted company.

Carl shifted his plug of chew from his right cheek to his left cheek.
"Nice guy, that Elvis Stewart. Hope he does good in the race. Speaking of
that, why don't we just wander down to find those SNORT officials and see
what it takes to enter this here race?"
Emma got a worried look on her face. "I'm not so sure about this, dear.
Racing is dangerous and the people who do it are professionals, maybe we
shouldn't risk our rolling home-away-from-home?"
Carl let out a big booming laugh. "Hey, don't you worry none, honey pot.
I'm sure these SNORT people wouldn't let some inexperienced yahoo out
there on the course to mess up good drivers like me and old Ironbutt.
Anyways, I got directions here and we're supposed to look up some guy
named... let's see … Sal Fish. He's the head of SNORT."

Carl and Emma eventually found the SCORE headquarters and asked for the
boss. A tall man in a cowboy hat pointed. "That's him. Guy with the black
mustache in the white shirt. His name is Sal Fish."
Carl wanderered (what else?) over and stuck out his hand. "Hidee doo, Mr.
Shellfish. My name is Carl and I want you to take a look at my rig and see
if I can enter your race?"
"Glad to meet you, Carl. By the way, the name is Sal. Sal Fish"
"Right. 'At's what I said. This sun got to your ears? So come on over
here, Sailfish, and check out my truck."
"The name is Sal Fish."
"Right. Well, here it is, Al. Whattaya think? Is she ready to roll?"
"Sal. Please, the name is Sal. Hmmm, let me see here. We haven't had many
race trucks with a boat on the roof and trail bike lashed to each end. And
I don't think our tech inspectors would let you race with that satellite
dish on the roof and all those rolled-up awnings on the sides."
"Hells-fire, Mr. Tuna, I know that!"
"Fish. The name is Fish. See if you can get it right. Tell you what, we
couldn’t let you race in the regular classes with a stove and fridge
inside, but we do have a class that might fit you just fine. It's called
our Safari class."
"Holdit, Flash. I don't wanna go for a stroll through the jungle. I came
here to do some serious off-roading."
"Carl, this is serious stuff alright. The Safari Class starts after all
the regular racers, and instead of racing each other, they're on a timed
schedule. Show up late at a check, and you lose points; show up too early,
and you lose points, too. The team with the least points wins. And you run
on most of the same course as the pros. Simple as that."
Carl beamed. "I like it, Cal. That means that the missus can ride along
with me as I go for the gold. Isn't that great, Emma? You get to be a
big-time racer. Whattaya think?"
Emma let out a small squealing sound like someone had just rammed a sharp
pencil up her nose.
Carl slapped Sal Fish on the back heartily. "This sounds like a great
idea, Al. C'mon, take a break and me and Emma will buy you a manzanita.

Will Carl really enter the Baja 500 Safari Rally? Will Emma ride along
with him? Will Mexico ever be the same again? Next month should reveal all
these mysteries, and perhaps a few surprises. Stay tuned.

superbuickguy

Explorer
When we last left Carl and Emma, Carl was talking with the SCORE/Baja 1000
race promoters about entering the Baja Safari, a non-racing rally event
that runs on the same course as the Baja 500. Emma, quite naturally, was
horrified.

She insisted that Carl think about it for a few hours before committing to
such a foolish endeavor with their beloved Suburban; so Carl agreed to do
a few hours of shopping in beautiful downtown Ensenada with her. We join
them now as they wander (what else?) through the streets.

Emma dragged Carl into a small shop. "This looks like a nice place, dear.
I want to get a new purse; my sister told me you can get some great deals
here if you know how to haggle with the shop owners.
Carl snorted. "Hah! Woman, you're liable to walk out of here with a bunch
of junk if you ain't careful. Most of this stuff is aimed at tourists."

Twenty minutes later, they left the shop with a new leather purse slung
over Emma's shoulder; Carl carried a huge black velvet painting of Elvis
fighting a bull, with a burning ship sinking in the background. Carl
beamed. "Lookit this, Emma! This painting has got it all! There's Elvis,
and he's got those big eyes like a wounded harp seal. Then you got some
action with the bullfight, and in the background you got a sinking ship.
There must be two or three dozen pictures of different kinds of cactus in
the left-hand corner. This here's a masterpiece! And the best part is the
sparkly stuff they glued on the guitar. When you move the painting, it
catches the light like sun on a dead catfish."
Emma looked at the painting as if a sea gull just pooped on her shoe.
"Well, it's a bit big for the Suburban, but it certainly is … ahhh …
different."
"Yup. And I got a real deal on it. The guy wanted a hundred bucks, and I
haggled him down to $98.50. I saw tears in his eyes, but hey, business is
business."

As they walked down the street, however, Emma saw about 150 other
identical paintings, most of them selling in the $20 range, frame included.
Tactfully, she did not point this out to Carl.
After accumulating a huge sombrero, a model ship made of string and wood,
a pair of sandals made out of tire tread, a Rolex watch for $18, a plastic
saint for the dashboard, a chess set with carved pieces that look like
melted candy bars, a wooden pelican, a clay flower pot, a serape with owls
circling around a dead rabbit on it, a belt four inches wide with a
two-pound buckle, and a hand-woven basket to hold their laundry.

All this shopping made them hungry, so Carl and Emma stopped in one of the
many small restaurants for a bite to eat. Carl grabbed the menu and
studied it. "You gotta be careful, Emma. Drink one glass of water, and
chances are you'll keel over like a snake just bit ya. Drink all the beer
you want, but make sure you eat a ton of hot sauce with it or it'll make
your blood circulate backwards. That's what my buddy, Howie, told me.
A smiling waiter walked up. "Buenas dias, friends. What can I get you?"
Emma pointed at the menu. "I'll have a number 26, please."
"Good selection, senora. That will give you a sampling of many different
dishes. And for the senor?"
"I'll have this here Jalapeno Special, and put some serious hot sauce on
it. None of that wimpy stuff. And bring me a couple of cold suds, too."
"Cerveza?"
"No. Beer. Cold ones."

"Will he be okay, doctor?"
"Oh, Si, senora. He only has a small cut on his lip, and his stomach will
be just fine in a few hours. The cut ?"
"Oh, that? That's when he stuffed his face in that bucket of mop water on
the restaurant floor. He must have banged it on the edge, or maybe the mop
handle. You see, that special was soooo hot."
"Yes, I know. My people tend to like their food on the spicy side, but
even the bravest of them normally do not add hot sauce to a platter of
fried jalapenos and chili peppers. Make sure that he takes some of this
medicine each hour for the rest of the day."

Later that day, a recovered Carl and a happy Emma walked in to one last
shop. Emma bought a sweatshirt that showed Spuds McKensie getting run over
by a Corona truck on the front, and Carl put on the Baja 500 T-shirt he
had just purchased.
The saleslady handed them their change and asked: "Is the senor here for
the big race.
Carl perked up. "Yup. And I think I just might sign up now that I'm
feeling better."
The smile disappeared from Emma's face and she let out a moan.
The saleslady asked: "Is the senora sick?"
"Naw. Just musta been something she ate."

The next day, Carl stood in line with numerous other drivers signing up
for the Baja 500 Safari Rally. It is, indeed, an interesting concept. The
drivers get to drive their rigs on most of the same course that the racers
do, but with a few important differences: They start after the racers, and
they run on timed rally rules, rather than flat-out racing.
A great deal, of course, depends on the co-pilot, who has to act as the
navigator and feed the driver information.

"Sign here, sir. Now, who will be your co-driver?"
Carl smiled broadly. "Why, my wife, Emma, naturally. Hellfire! She gets me
all over this here country without getting lost, so I figure this should
be no sweat. Emma? Emma? Now where did that woman get off to?"

Whoa, folks! It looks like Carl up and did it. But where's Emma? And will
they actually compete? I don't know about you, but, quite frankly, I'm
getting worried. Next month should be interesting.

superbuickguy

Explorer
When we last left Carl and Emma, they had just completed a shopping spree in Ensenada, Baja, Mexico... and Carl had decided to enter the Baja Safari, a timed rally that was to be run in conjunction with the Baja 500 race.
The competitors would actually drive on the same course as the regular racers, but would start after them, and would have to drive against the clock. We join them as they leave the sign up booth and head for tech inspection.

"Uhh. sir, are you going to race this... thing... in the Baja Safari?"
Carl eyeballed the tech inspector. "Yeah. What about it? This here is a stretched wheelbase, four wheel drive Suburban. Ain't you ever seen one before?"
"Oh, yes... of course. But I've never seen one with a boat on the roof, a satellite dish, two trail bikes, four roll-out awnings, a fold-up porch, an external barbecue and an outside shower."
Carl beamed. "Hellsfire, boy, then you ought to take a looksee inside. You're really gonna be impressed!
They clambered up inside the huge Suburban and Carl gave the inspector the tour.
"This here's the fold down table, and over there is the stove and fridge. I keep the fishin' rods on the roof, and over there is the fold-out beds. The TV, stereo and VCR is over here and the pool table is tucked in alongside the fridge. The generator hangs out on the back rack where the big trail bike is mounted, and I got six batteries under the hood. There's two winches in case I git 'er stuck, which is highly unlikely, because I am a muchly skilled driver. And there's a half dozen other goodies I ain't even showed you. Well, whaddaya think?"
The tech inspector just stood there, jaw hanging, eyes bugged out.

Forty hours later, Carl and Emma were sitting in The Whale, lined up to compete in the Baja Safari. The regular racers were up ahead, roaring off the starting line, one every 30 seconds. It would be two hours before the Safari entrants rolled.

Carl bit off a plug of tobacco and grumbled. "Jeez, Emma, you'd think they'd woulda left some of our stuff in The Whale. Do you realize our truck here is practically gutted? No fridge, no tables, no beds, no TV... they even made me take the boat off the roof and both trail bikes off the bumper racks. Well, guess that's the price you gotta pay to be a big-time racer, right Emma? Emma? Emma, you OK?"
Emma had the fingernails of both hands buried into the dash, her face was pale and a large blue vein throbbed visibly in her forehead.
Carl patted her comfortingly on the shoulder. "Now, dear... don't you worry none."
Emma looked up sharply. "Worry? I'm not worried. I'm sick as a sheep dog that just ate an Army boot. I feel like I might die and I'm afraid that I won't."
Carl spit a small wad out of the window of The Whale. "No doubt it was those 14 margaritas you drank over there in Hussong's Cantina the other day. Boy, I was wondering where you got off to. And you know, it's not like you to drink much more than a glass or two of Boones Farm Strawberry Ripple wine every now and then."
Emma shuddered. "Carl, you big bozo, I was hoping to get drunk and get thrown in jail so I wouldn't have to race in this dumb race with you."
Carl raised one eyebrow. Spit it out, Emma. What are you really trying to say? I mean, if you didn't wanna race, you shoulda said something. Well, anyways, it's too late now. We'll be up and rolling before you know it. And you're gonna have the ride of your life!"

Carl rolled forward on the crowded main street of Ensenada, which was blocked off for the start. Only one truck was in front of him... and then it was gone, accompanied by a chirping from the rear tires on the pavement.
Carl smiled a crafty smile. That's a start? Hellsfire, he'd show them a start! After all, he had a 454 under the hood, and it wasn't a stocker, nosirree, not by a long shot.
The starter waved The Whale forward and Carl inched up carefully, put it in neutral and rapped the healthy motor a few times. Impressive, yes indeed, even the causal observer could sense that.
The starter pointed the flag at Carl, and indicated with his fingers that ten seconds were left. Carl depressed the clutch, and revved the engine: five, four, three, two, one! Carl let the clutch and smashed the gas pedal. The engine screamed and the tach leaped for the red zone.

And The Whale stayed right where it was.

Vehicles tend to do that when they're in neutral.

Carl looked down sheepishly, and then slammed the shifter into gear, then let the clutch go. The Whale lurched backward and slammed into a Toyota 4-Runner directly in line behind Carl. The sound of breaking glass and bending metal was clear and loud.
Whoops!
Carl quickly yanked the shifter out of reverse, put it in low, the punched the throttle again. One entire bumper and half of the grill was ripped off the Toyota and both awnings on The Whale unfolded from the impact and rolled out to full extension. Carl thought he ought to get out and hook the awnings back up, but a glance in the rear view mirror showed an angry driver getting out and waving his fist.
Now seemed like a good time to leave. Carl wondered why the Toyota driver was so upset. Hey, he thought, racing is racing, and you can't whine over a little incident.
Carl looked over to the right side. Emma had her face covered up with both hands and her knees were clapping each other like one of those little toy wind-up monkeys you get at the carnivals. Carl sighed. Some people just weren't cut out for racing.

The first part was simple and easy... just paved roads and streets leading away from the town of Ensenada, but Carl knew that some real off-roading was coming up. Now would be a good time to calm Emma down before they got to the rough stuff.
"Emma? Honey-pot? Why don't you whip out that there rally map and see what pace we gotta maintain to win this here rally?"
Emma let out a pitiful moan.
"Hey, you feelin' worse dear?"
Emma shook her head from side to side. "No. It's just that you left the rally map and times back in the hotel room."
Carl sighed. "Well, never you mind, honey-pot. We're gonna do just fine. Way I figure it is this: most of the people in this here event ain't even gonna finish it. I got everything under control."
Emma looked out of the window at both awnings flapping in the breeze like some sort of giant prehistoric pterodactyl, and wondered if, indeed, ANYTHING, was under control!

What will happen when they hit the dirt? Stay tuned, because next month we'll join Carl and Emma in the thick of battle. Sends shivvers up my spine just thinking about it!

superbuickguy

Explorer
When we last left Carl and Emma, they had just started in the Baja 500 Safari, an event held in conjunction with the Baja 500 off-road race. The Safari is a timed event, but run on the same course that the racers compete on. Carl, much to Emma's dismay, had entered The Whale in the event. Their start was less than auspicious, as Carl backed into the truck behind him when the flag dropped, and had both awnings unroll on a fast road section. We join them now as they are pulled off the side of the road, and putting the
remains of the awnings in the cavernous interior of The Whale.

"OK, Emma. I got the awnings stuffed inside. How much time did we lose doing that?"
"Emma glanced at her Timex. "About five minutes, dear. It's a good thing they didn't blow away."
Carl grunted and spit a blast of tobacco juice at a lizard standing on a rock about ten feet away. The last half of the lizards tail got coated with the brown substance, and it quickly darted away, no doubt doing its own version of lizard-swearing.
"Well then, we just gotta make up some time before we get into the dirt. It's gonna be pedal to the metal, hammer-down all the way, red-line city, full-throttle, torque-twistin'..."
"Carl, just shut up and drive, please. And try not to kill us.”

Carl fired up and lurched off with a chirp from the tires. Then a frown covered his face, and he screeched to a halt. He put The Whale into reverse and chirped the tires once again, then squealed to another halt. "Sorry about that, Emma. Guess I forgot about you. Hop in, Honey Pot."
Emma sighed. "Actually, I would have been better off standing there alongside the road. The worst that could have happened would be that I would get robbed and killed. With you at the wheel, were probably gonna get lost and then you'll kill us both when you drive off a cliff, and then we'll be dead AND lost!"
Carl looked up at the sky. "Emma, just git back in the seat, and I promise I'll drive real careful and never race again. After this one, that is."
Emma sniffled and reluctantly got in the passenger seat. "Promise?"
"Promise!" said Carl, while keeping his hands behind his back, so Emma couldn't see his fingers crossed.

A few miles later, they peeled off the narrow paved road onto a narrower dirt road that was hard-packed and riddled with rain ruts. Evil looking cactus and foreboding rocks lined the edges of much of the road... if you could call it a road.

Carl drove quite well, holding a brisk pace, but taking no chances. The ride in The Whale was quite comfortable, with the exception of the awnings jumping around in the back and the goldfish getting slopped out of his (her?) fish bowl twice.

A checkpoint popped up around a turn and Carl idled into the lane. A checker dropped a stub in his stub can, and wrote down his time. "How am I doing?" asked Carl.
"Number 27? You're about two minutes off your pace. Not bad. At least you're not burning the check like some of those maniacs.
"Burning?"
"Yeah. That's when you come in too early. Cost's you double points."
Carl thought this over for a second. “Hokey-dokey. Thanks for the info. Say, you ain't ain't got another map, do ya? We sort of left ours back at the hotel."
The lady gave Carl and map and waved them off with a big smile. "Hot damn, Emma! Now we're in business again. I want you to study that map while I make up some of those lost two minutes."

Carl got on the gas hard for the next half hour and passed a number of other vehicles, some of them broken down alongside the course, or changing flat tires.
Emma yelled over the sound of the engine: "Dear, there's a thing coming up called an "EITHER-OR" section. If you take the long way, it's easy... and if you take the short way, it's hard."
Carl gave a fiendish smile. "There's no choice, Emma. We take the short way and pick up some serious time. That's what it's all about. The challenge of man and machine against nature and the natural. How much further 'till the "NEITHER-NOR" section?"
"A few more miles, dear."

For the next few miles, Carl climbed steadily upward. The narrow road twisted and turned as it climbed, with an alarming drop-off on the passengers side and a near-vertical wall on the drivers side.
Near the summit of the climb, Carl saw a sign that said, LONG WAY/SHORT WAY, with two arrows pointing. Without even thinking, Carl took the SHORT WAY turn and promptly regretted ever being born. He was going down an almost vertical hill!
He nailed the brakes and it made absolutely no difference. Emma let out a horrifying shriek! "We're gonna diiiiiiieeeeee! ! !"
Carl white-knuckled the steering wheel and concentrated on trying to survive. On the way down, he had to dodge a few deep ruts, rocks and gnarly bushes, but the truck didn't want to turn. Then he remembered an article he'd read a few years ago, and gave the throttle a little nudge, and lo and behold, The Whale responded! Carl made a mental note to re-subscribe to the magazine if he lived through this.

The Whale picked up speed and plummeted down the hill at a truly frightening rate. At one point, Carl noted that the speedo read 62 miles per hour, and he thought it was weird to be breaking the speed limit while pointed nearly straight downward. Then, oddly, the hill started flattening out. Just a little at first, then more... until at last, Carl found that he was on level ground.
It was then that he realized that the hill was nowhere near as dangerous as it looked. The huge run-off area made it relatively safe, in spite of its fearsome appearance. Carl got to the flat land and let out a sigh. "Emma? You can relax now. We're at the bottom and we're not even close to being dead. Emma? Don't bite the dash like that. You're liable to get vinyl poisoning, or something like that."
Emma emitted a small moan and slumped back in the seat. "Carl, I think I might take up sky diving when we get back to the states, just to calm my nerves down. Let me tell you one thing, buster! If you ever take me down another hill like that, I will break all of your fishing rods and run off with the first band of gypsies I meet!"
Carl got a puzzled look on his face: "So what are you saying, Emma?"
"Carl!"
"Yes, dear."

Some time later, Carl rolled into another check. "How am I doin' ?"
"Well, you are a whole bunch early. How'd you manage to move up through the pack so quick?"
"I went down that hill back there and took the short cut."
The check worker let out a low whistle. "Wow! Nobody has been going down that hill except for a few of the crazier racers, and they've come in all pasty-faced and shakin'!"
Carl put on a smug smile: "Shaking? From that itty-bitty hill? You gotta be kidding? Why I could go down that thing three times and up it four while tuning in a good station on the radio and eatin' a tuna fish sandwhich. It's a piece a' cake."
The check worker shook his head from side to side. "Mister, you're a lot braver than you look. Gotta hand it to you. Too bad you lost so many points by coming in early. Actually, you're the first Safari Rally truck through here."
Carl waved goodbye to the checker and proceeded down the course, which was getting rougher and rougher. He kept up a good pace, not really having any ideas of whether or not he was on schedule.

A few miles later, The Whale veered hard to the right and whacked a bush with a course marking ribbon hanging on it. The ribbon came off and wrapped around the antenna. Then the truck darted to the left side a few minutes later. Carl picked up more ribbon, this time it wrapped around his mirror.

After another half-dozen brushes with the bushes, he realized that something was wrong. Carl got out, did an inspection under the truck, then grabbed a front tire and wiggled it. Whoops! The wheel bearings were loose. Real loose. Perhaps even shot.
Carl yelled into the cab. "Hey, Emma! How far is it till we get to that check point/pit that's on the stretch of highway. No way do I want to work on the wheel bearings in this deep sand."
Emma peered at the map and ran a chubby forefinger over the indicated route. "About 30 miles, dear. Do you think you can make it that far?"
"Yeah. Long as I don't hear any grinding or see any smoke. Of course, the handling ain't gonna be too great. It's gonna take all of my driving skills - which are considerable - just to keep The Whale between the trees."

For the next hour, Carl wobbled and weaved down the trail, banging into bushes, weeds tree branches. In the process, he collected hundreds of feet of red and white course marker ribbon.
Eventually, they got to the highway section and Carl jacked the front end up into the air. Forty five minutes later, he had the wheel bearings replaced and wiped his greasy hands on a red shop rag. "How many Safari trucks passed us by while I worked on the truck, Emma?"
"Why, none dear."
"How could that be? Hells fire, we been down for nearly an hour. Well, that ain't my worry. Let's get goin', woman. We got us a race to run!"

For the balance of the race, Carl drove conservatively, and almost lulled Emma into relaxing. Eventually, many hours later, they idled into the town of Ensenada and crossed the finish line. When asking, Carl found out that no other Safari Rally entries had finished yet. Carl and Emma went to their hotel, showered, then went to a restaurant for a meal.

They then went back to the finish line to check the results. Oddly enough, there were still no other Safari Rally finishers. Carl shrugged his shoulders and went back to the hotel to catch some sleep.

The next day, all the results were posted, and lo and behold, Carl was the overall winner of the Safari Rally. In fact, he was the only finisher. Even as they were looking at the results sheet, a Safari Rally truck drove into town, with the driver looking very upset. He ran up to the race officials and started yelling and waving his arms. Carl sidled in closer to hear what was being said: "...were doing just fine, then right around mile 150, all of the course markers disappeared. Nothing. Not one piece of ribbon. It's as if someone went out there and took everything down. I spent half the time getting un-lost and the other half trying to get directions. There are Safari Rally trucks all over the place trying to find out where they are and where they're supposed to be. I tell you, I've never been so..."
Carl walked over, got Emma by the arm and gently pulled her away from the hubbub of activity at the finish line area. "Emma, let's go get us something to eat. I hate to hang around bad sports. Sorta takes the edge off a sweet victory. We'll come back and get our trophy later in the day."
Emma gave Carl a funny look, but chose to say nothing, which often is the mark of a wise woman.

Next month. Heading north.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94