TrekboxX drawer system for JK idea thread

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
I agree that any space would be useful, but it may be tough considering the system will need a center vertical piece most likely. You could do a single drawer pretty easily that hinged up, maybe some gas struts, but not with a full system. I'm working on an Xterra with a similar cubby, and that's where we're housing electronics that will rarely need access.

How about system mounting? Are there rugged tie down points in each corner, for example?

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
How about system mounting? Are there rugged tie down points in each corner, for example?

Yes, there are 6 D rings around the perimeter. These could probably be used as is, or R&R'ed (torx screw) with something more suitable to your needs. Not sure how strong they are, but I certainly crank down hard on a couple of them to keep my fridge from moving. They seem solid.

TrekboxX

Yes, there are 6 D rings around the perimeter. These could probably be used as is, or R&R'ed (torx screw) with something more suitable to your needs. Not sure how strong they are, but I certainly crank down hard on a couple of them to keep my fridge from moving. They seem solid.

Nice. Might make my job easier and allow for a hollow bottom sheet to lighten the system...

Samuelwoo

I would love a drawer system that has an add on platform for the rear seats area when in the fold down position. The platform would securely attach itself to the drawer system to form a flat sleep platform.

TrekboxX

I was just on your website over last weekend and read the "Trekking with Trekboxx" review. I thought how great it would be to have this system for my 2dr JK Rubicon and was drafting a letter to you.
Cash on hand ready to buy if its anything like the one for the 100. I really like the side storage idea incorporated into the 100.

Stay tuned! Also, feel free to send me a direct email at info@trekboxx.com. I will put you on my mailing list to be notified when the JK systems are ready, in case you miss it. It would help to let me know your expo handle in the email. Sometimes I don't realize I'm talking to the same person online and via email...

TrekboxX

I would love a drawer system that has an add on platform for the rear seats area when in the fold down position. The platform would securely attach itself to the drawer system to form a flat sleep platform.

Is this idea for a 2 door or 4 door? Don't the 4 door rear seats fold fairly flat to the floor? Forgive my ignorance!

Matt

Adventurer
Edit: There is a cubby in the Jeep trunk's floor. Most drawer systems ignore the cubby, making it inaccessible after installation. Though not a large amount of space, it would be great to see a design that keeps the cubby accessible. Every little bit of space helps.

wrangler_interni_10.jpg

I built a drawer/fridge slide in the rear of my JKU a couple months ago. I cut an access door in the top and a hole in the base of the plarform over the storage cubby. When the drawer is pulled all the way out you can get to things in the storage cubby. I keep things that I don't need often like jumper cables, etc. in there.

IMG_0826_zps71cce158.jpg

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I agree that any space would be useful, but it may be tough considering the system will need a center vertical piece most likely. You could do a single drawer pretty easily that hinged up, maybe some gas struts, but not with a full system. I'm working on an Xterra with a similar cubby, and that's where we're housing electronics that will rarely need access.

I would be happy as long as the space wasn't being wasted. If you're working on something similar and housed electronics in there I would be content with that. However there is a drain plug in there in case any water were to get in, so any electronics in there would also need to take that into account.

Samuelwoo

Is this idea for a 2 door or 4 door? Don't the 4 door rear seats fold fairly flat to the floor? Forgive my ignorance!

This would be for a 4 door. I'm assuming that the TrekboxX rear drawers would sit on the floor and create a higher platform when the rear seats are folded down. There should be an augmented piece to recreate the flat surface area to sleep on.

This would save me from having to create that platform from say an ARB drawer system. I would find huge conveniences in that offering.

GetOutThere

Adventurer

Could the system not have lift up hinges on either side of the vertical support? Or perhaps a system where the OE cover is removed, and when the drawer is fully pulled out, there is an accessibility hatch? I don't advocate creating a system that makes it easy or practical to get to the cubby, just a system that makes it possible without removing or disassembling the system.

TrekboxX

I would be happy as long as the space wasn't being wasted. If you're working on something similar and housed electronics in there I would be content with that. However there is a drain plug in there in case any water were to get in, so any electronics in there would also need to take that into account.

Gotcha

This would be for a 4 door. I'm assuming that the TrekboxX rear drawers would sit on the floor and create a higher platform when the rear seats are folded down. There should be an augmented piece to recreate the flat surface area to sleep on.

This would save me from having to create that platform from say an ARB drawer system. I would find huge conveniences in that offering.

Gotcha!

Could the system not have lift up hinges on either side of the vertical support? Or perhaps a system where the OE cover is removed, and when the drawer is fully pulled out, there is an accessibility hatch? I don't advocate creating a system that makes it easy or practical to get to the cubby, just a system that makes it possible without removing or disassembling the system.

Yes, totally possible. I was thinking the center vertical would prevent the cubby's door from opening, but if removed you could get at it pretty easily. As long as the contents didn't bounce up and jam in the drawer slides....

I was on a roll last night. Up til 3am designing. May have found a way to gain some much needed lateral space. More to come.

Matches

On a 2dr with the rear seat removed you could use the brackets where the seat latches for mounting points in addition to the tie down points.

TrekboxX

On a 2dr with the rear seat removed you could use the brackets where the seat latches for mounting points in addition to the tie down points.

Good to go.

As far as the stove thing, I'm thinking of keeping the shallow drawer pretty much as is, but perhaps deepening it to store a stove. Since day to day most folks won't be carrying it around... The stove could then be put anywhere on the rig- on the tailgate table, a separate table, or I could customize the stove to hook onto an open drawer. Any other manufacturers that are popular with the Jeep crowd than Partner Steel?

Personally, I love to have a "grill" while camping. I use a Camp Chef Rainier, which is good but would really be great if built a bit tougher...

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I have a '13 JK (2 door) with the rear seat removed. The perfect box for me is basically a more economical version of your "System Bravo." All I want is a couple drawers with a flat top platform 8" or so above my floor. I also would want some tie down points on the top of the platform to tether gear down. Gotta lash those action packers somehow.

The price listed on your site is prohibitive though, I'd cobble something together myself that would look and function much worse (probably) before being able to justify that much coin. Also, I feel like the weight of that system is also a no go. I understand wanting it to be bullet proof but at nearly 200 lbs it just adds too much to my already saggy rear end when loaded with gear.

I'm not trying to clown on your product, I'm very impressed with what you have, I'm only trying to give perspective. I guess I'm probably not your target audience though either.

TrekboxX

I have a '13 JK (2 door) with the rear seat removed. The perfect box for me is basically a more economical version of your "System Bravo." All I want is a couple drawers with a flat top platform 8" or so above my floor. I also would want some tie down points on the top of the platform to tether gear down. Gotta lash those action packers somehow.

The price listed on your site is prohibitive though, I'd cobble something together myself that would look and function much worse (probably) before being able to justify that much coin. Also, I feel like the weight of that system is also a no go. I understand wanting it to be bullet proof but at nearly 200 lbs it just adds too much to my already saggy rear end when loaded with gear.

I'm not trying to clown on your product, I'm very impressed with what you have, I'm only trying to give perspective. I guess I'm probably not your target audience though either.

I hear you, and I appreciate your understanding that it's a personal choice. I am, however, going to do my best to reduce the weight as much as possible. The Land Cruiser is a much larger and heavier vehicle, and 200 lbs and even much more isn't really a big deal. Especially when you remove the rear seats which are 100 lbs. I understand the Jeep is much lighter, and will try to build accordingly while maintaining top quality and robustness.

The price, on the other hand, is a tough one. I made a decision early on to produce the top-shelf system, partly because I'm OCD and overbuild everything, and partly because a "good enough" option and a "cobbled together" option are already easily attainable. I don't like to badmouth any competition, but I think in this case the closest option is the ARB system. Nothing against ARB, they make some fine products (or at least buy other companies that make fine products, IDK), but their systems are roughly 20-25% less expensive. It's not really comparing apples to apples, but somewhere close. So the question is whether Trekboxx products are 25% better, tougher, sexier, whatever. It's a personal and logistical choice. My target market is someone who appreciates a piece of fine American made craftsmanship and is willing to pay for it. Absolutely no shame if it's not for you. For example- personally, I'd probably never pay a couple grand for a rooftop tent when I can have a nice, lightweight ground tent for a couple hundred bucks. But, I would (and did) pay a couple grand for a color-matched super duty plate bumper that I rarely use. Go figure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94