TrekboxX drawer system for JK idea thread

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to encroach on that space. I just wanted to make sure you guys didn't need more space in the "main" area.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Will a camp stove fit in the smaller pull out? Also it looks like the tailgate tables won't play nice with the pull out stove/cutting board/reefer. Anyway to mirror the system so you can have the stove/reefer pulled out and still use a tailgate table? I realize it would be tight, but at least it would be usable.

TrekboxX

I don't have the shallow drawer depth determined yet, or even if there will be a shallow drawer. That's the kind of info I'm looking for from you guys. The shallow drawer and work surface is awesome, but it raises the fridge a bit and adds weight and expense. I don't have the specs on any camp stoves to fit in there, but I'm guessing not. Not only would it be a tight squeeze, but I don't think it would be a great idea to cook in a Line-x covered wood system. The drawer would have to be made of aluminum or steel I would think.
Yes, I'm working on a mirrored system, with the fridge on the driver's side. Just like my Land Cruiser systems.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I prefer to keep the fridge as low as possible, then have a shelf above it to stow lighter bulky stuff.

I agree, if the bottom drawer isn't going to hold a camp stove, get rid of it, simpler, more affordable. Almost everyone has a tailgate table anyway. Also, make it so when the reefer is slid out you can access the storage under the drawers from rear doors with the seats folded down. Obviously you aren't going to use it often, but its nice to keep it as storage option. Fridge definently on the drivers side so you can access it with the tailgate table pulled out. But thats just my $.02

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
This is funny. Trekboxx helped me buy my Jeep. Paul Gardner was picking up a set of trekboxx drawers from you in San Jose the same day I was buying the last granite JKUR with tan leather in San Jose. He gave me a ride to the dealer from LA. I'll have to get up to date in this thread and see what you've come up with.

TrekboxX

I prefer to keep the fridge as low as possible, then have a shelf above it to stow lighter bulky stuff.
10-4

I agree, if the bottom drawer isn't going to hold a camp stove, get rid of it, simpler, more affordable. Almost everyone has a tailgate table anyway. Also, make it so when the reefer is slid out you can access the storage under the drawers from rear doors with the seats folded down. Obviously you aren't going to use it often, but its nice to keep it as storage option. Fridge definently on the drivers side so you can access it with the tailgate table pulled out. But thats just my $.02
10-4, gotcha

This is funny. Trekboxx helped me buy my Jeep. Paul Gardner was picking up a set of trekboxx drawers from you in San Jose the same day I was buying the last granite JKUR with tan leather in San Jose. He gave me a ride to the dealer from LA. I'll have to get up to date in this thread and see what you've come up with.
Yep, I remember! Hope you are liking the Jeep!

Thanks guys!

greater mn

Well... I've been tracking this thread since last fall and figured I'd pipe up on my 2¢ ...

So... I've been leaning on putting in a AT system for my JKU with some modifications (I'm probably a bit like you when it comes to fit, build and quality... while the AT system is nice... I think I can make improvements...). Anyways, ... your thread has delayed that purchase a few times already... so hear comes my imput.

~ Lots of comments on tailgate tables and I agree that most of us JK owners have them... but I'll also tell you that you can never have enough table space. I like the look of your tailgate table and I'm not sure the 3-4 inches lost in having that slide under the fridge is a big-enough-deal to warrant ditching the table drawer.

~ I think I would be a fan of having the table drawer deap enough to support a stove. I'm not sure there's alot of concern about the drawer being wood as most units I've seen used in chuck boxes and wood drawer systems are self contained... in any case it would be nice if the stove folded up would at least fit in the table drawer for storage (Nice spot for it I think...).

~ Not sure I saw any mention of this and maybe all of your slides support this... but having a method to lock those drawer/slides in the out position is huge in my book. Many other storage solutions don't have them... but I can tell you from experience that having that drawer stay open on a steep incline will reduce driver frustration when getting to recovery gear and tools.

Love to see what you come up with for proto type... any ideas of initial proto type dates? or beta production runs? I might be up for being a guinnea pig if you need a paying customer willing to cut your teeth on.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Another idea if possible is leave enough room at the front of the box to allow a front runner water tank to be installed between it and the rear seat, you could even include installation brackets. This would provide your users with 11 gallons of potable water and only take up 3" of space. You could even work a pump and fossett into your lower drawer.

front-runner-upright-water-tank-with-two-cut-outs-flat-WTAN009-1.jpg

Last edited:

TrekboxX

Well... I've been tracking this thread since last fall and figured I'd pipe up on my 2¢ ...

So... I've been leaning on putting in a AT system for my JKU with some modifications (I'm probably a bit like you when it comes to fit, build and quality... while the AT system is nice... I think I can make improvements...). Anyways, ... your thread has delayed that purchase a few times already... so hear comes my imput.

~ Lots of comments on tailgate tables and I agree that most of us JK owners have them... but I'll also tell you that you can never have enough table space. I like the look of your tailgate table and I'm not sure the 3-4 inches lost in having that slide under the fridge is a big-enough-deal to warrant ditching the table drawer.

~ I think I would be a fan of having the table drawer deap enough to support a stove. I'm not sure there's alot of concern about the drawer being wood as most units I've seen used in chuck boxes and wood drawer systems are self contained... in any case it would be nice if the stove folded up would at least fit in the table drawer for storage (Nice spot for it I think...).

~ Not sure I saw any mention of this and maybe all of your slides support this... but having a method to lock those drawer/slides in the out position is huge in my book. Many other storage solutions don't have them... but I can tell you from experience that having that drawer stay open on a steep incline will reduce driver frustration when getting to recovery gear and tools.

Love to see what you come up with for proto type... any ideas of initial proto type dates? or beta production runs? I might be up for being a guinnea pig if you need a paying customer willing to cut your teeth on.

Good input, thanks! I agree that you can never have enough horizontal surfaces... Yes, our drawer slides lock in, out, and halfway out. A must for a heavy drawer, imo.

I'm hoping to have a system by summer if all goes well. This is a side gig/hobby for me, so everything takes a lot longer than I'd like.

With enough demand, we could easily have a model with a shallow drawer and one without.

TrekboxX

Another idea if possible is leave enough room at the front of the drawers to allow a front runner water tank to be installed, you could even include installation brackets. This would provide your users with 11 gallons of potable water and only take up 3" of space. You could even work a pump and fossett into your lower drawer.

front-runner-upright-water-tank-with-two-cut-outs-flat-WTAN009-1.jpg

I like the idea, perhaps for a vehicle that isn't so spacially challenged. As it is there's barely enough room for a decent sized fridge. I also have to consider that the folks that aren't interested in a water tank might not not be willing to give up 10 percent of their available storage space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz