TrekboxX drawer system for JK idea thread

Espo78

Adventurer
I have a 2 door so the sleeping platform doesn't apply to me anyway. My line of thinking though is that the leg system is still taking up space that could otherwise be used for something else, and it's kind of an awkward shape. However maybe it will fit under the rear seats when they are in the upright position. I know some people store a hilift under the seats. From a 2 door owners perspective I just wouldn't want to haul around extra pieces if they don't have a storage spot that couldn't be used to store something else.

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Mike,
I'm not really understanding your concerns. With a 2 door, you wouldn't buy the sleeping platform, and therefore wouldn't need to worry about storing it. If you had a 4 door and wanted a sleeping platform, you would probably be alright with finding a spot to store the leg mechanism, since it is a necessary piece of equipment. Am I missing something?

Espo78

Adventurer
I know I wouldn't need the sleeping platform with a 2 door. I was just getting at the fact that every inch of space matters to me, because I am so limited in space. Just my general thinking about storage.

TrekboxX

Thanks guys. The slide is a Knape and Vogt lock in/out slide. Same HD ratings as the Accurides I've been using. I took off the ugly handle that came with it and made a custom bracket and powder coated aluminum T-handle. So, by pulling the handle it unlocks the slide, making for an easy open. To close the drawer once it's locked out, you just push the handle in to unlock it. Truth be told, I'm not sold on it yet. In theory and ascetically it's great. The big issue I have is that there is about 1/8" of play in the slide when it's closed, making the potential for a rattle or clunk. Those that know me understand that is totally unacceptable. So, it seems like it would be an easy fix with a bumper to hold the drawer out against the lock. Not that easy. With outward pressure the lock does not want to release. Any magnetic or tension catch strong enough to reliably hold the drawer closed on the back side of that play would make the drawer difficult to open. So, there are a few bugs there, but I'm working on it. It would be easy to just go back to the Accurides. They are bombproof and very, very smooth. And they can be "persuaded" to have zero movement when locked and still open reliably.

Yes, I've designed and will be offering the cargo rack as well. It mounts to the roll bar and is a stand-alone unit. It is adjustable 4" vertically. The panels are Line-X covered Baltic Birch, making it easy for the end user to modify them, such as drilling holes to mount equipment, etc. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, minus a few design tweaks needed to the mounting bracket. The rack will also become the top shelf for the Alpha System I'll be making next. The fridge barriers will attach to the bottom of the rack. I'm 99% sure an ARB 50 will fit. And for those of you wanting to store a stove under the fridge, you'll be able to. :)

Those of you interested in weight, the Bravo System you see weighs in at 93 lbs including the cutting board. The Wing kit is 6 lbs. I haven't weighed the rack and sleeping platform, yet, but I'd guess the rack is around 30 lbs and the sleeping platform is 40-45 lbs, maybe less.

This system will be going to Moab this next week for a trial run. In the meantime, I'll be making some minor design tweaks and getting some feedback from the trip.

David

RobRed

Explorer
Almost makes me want a Jeep... almost :)

For those that have not seen David's work in person it's quite a treat. His attention to detail AND function set a high bar. His consideration for end users day to day and lifetime use always amazes me. The fact he considers the tiniest details, 1/8" slide play for potential rattles for example, should give you a sense of his dedication to perfection.

TrekBoxx is the real deal.

TrekboxX

After some more testing I'm scrapping the Knape & Vogt slides. There's no easy fix for the slop in the locking mechanism, and they also have less ball bearings and therefore are not as smooth as the Accurides. Back to the Accurides with pull handles. I'm also increasing the length by 2", which will not only give more than full extension, it will enlarge the cutting board/work surface by 2".

Any of you guys heading to Moab this week that are interested in seeing the system in person, pm or email me. Sam, the owner of this system, said he would be happy to show it.

TrekboxX

JKU System Alpha

Hey guys. Finishing up the design details on the Alpha System for the JKU. Here are a few teaser shots!
JKUSA 1.jpg
JKUSA 2.jpg
JKUSA 3.jpg
JKUSA 4.jpg
JKUSA 5.jpg

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
looks great!! I didn't have the slop problem with the KV slides. I also had smaller slides with less weight. I just had felt stoppers so it provided the right amount of tension to prevent rattling. I'd have to push in slightly when unlocking them so I understand where you're coming from, especially when meticulously designing a product that will be sold to people. Looking forward to watching your designs progress.

TrekboxX

looks great!! I didn't have the slop problem with the KV slides. I also had smaller slides with less weight. I just had felt stoppers so it provided the right amount of tension to prevent rattling. I'd have to push in slightly when unlocking them so I understand where you're coming from, especially when meticulously designing a product that will be sold to people. Looking forward to watching your designs progress.

Thanks! Yeah, I was bummed about the slides. But truth be told, I was happy to switch back. The Accurides have really been great and I'm very familiar with them. They have little to no slop at all, and if there is any you can easily get rid of it prior to shipping to the customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne