Recommendations for replacement dual band mobile

pir8p3t3

This is my first post on this forum, so if it is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

My mobile radio is finally giving up on me, and I am looking for recommendations from anyone who has used any of the following or has a better suggestion. The radio I have is an Alinco 599T and is pretty close to 20 years old, but has been a workhorse.

I am looking at either a Yaesu FT-7900R , a Yaesu FTM-400DR, Icom ID-880H , or Kenwood TM-D710G.

I haven't shopped for a new radio for the car in a long time, and have read reviews on QST etc, but am curious if anyone here can give me any real world insight.

Thanks for your help.

Pete KI4UIL

Frdmskr

Adventurer
The 7900 and 710 would be my preferences. My rationale is: not too much DStar in the back woods yet (880H). The 400dr is not one I am familiar with so can't comment.

If APRS is important that 710 rocks. If not the 7900 is better on cost (but the Kenwood I find more user friendly.) YMMV.

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pir8p3t3

Thanks for the feedback. i'm not sure APRS would be necessary. I do some work with the local CERT team and am a semi active member with the local ARES group. I know they have been playing with it, primarily to be able to track people during events. That is the only reason I am even considering that particular unit, but user friendly is always good too.

Again thank you for the input.

SARguru

Observer
I have 2 ft7800 which are a older original version of the 7900 and really like them. I like that the buttons are illuminated so in low light conditions you dont have to blindly push all buttons. Having 1000 memory seems like too much but when you program several provinces and states it is not long before the radio is filled up. The memories can be assigned to banks so you dont have to scan 1000. I ended up with 2 as I wanted to be able to scan and monitor another freq., which the 710 would do. I like the 400 however i would never buy it because the digital format isnt compatible with dstar or dmr and havent seen a repeater where it could be used, if they offered a non digital version I would get that. My 2 radios have been in vehicle since 2008 and never had any issues. If i was buying again and wanted aprs i would get 710, if not i would buy 7800/7900 again.

pir8p3t3

Now i just need to decide if I need/want the APRS. And if I want dual channel in a Yaesu, I could always look at the FT8800. Thanks again for your feedback everyone.

Expedition Leader
I love my Kenwood TM-D710A, but if you aren't going to use the APRS then you're wasting some money. Personally, I find APRS to be fun and it allows family and friends to watch my trip progress in real time on the internet.

pir8p3t3

I love my Kenwood TM-D710A, but if you aren't going to use the APRS then you're wasting some money. Personally, I find APRS to be fun and it allows family and friends to watch my trip progress in real time on the internet.

I agree, and the only reason I am considering it would be for ARES. As my kids get older I am becoming more active, and my last radio lived for a really long time. I would rather spend a little extra now, instead of finding out a year down the road I should have gotten it. I am honestly leaning toward the D710 at this point because of that. Or my thinking could be totally wrong. Again, thanks for everyone's input. You have all given me a lot to consider.

uli2000

Adventurer
I'd also look at the Kenwood V-71a. It's basically the same radio as the D710 minus the TNC and GPS, though you can add the RC710 later if you want to make it a 710. I love having APRS, so personally, I'd look at the 710 or the Yaesu 400dr.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
One thing on dual vfo. You can have side A on your convoy and side B on a calling frequency, repeater, etc. To monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBiram

Adventurer
Dual band has so many advantages, especially if it has crossband repeat.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBiram

Adventurer
Not so sure about that. The kenwood D710 has an ident feature in repeater mode.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles