Don't flame... BUT is the Wrangler the new Defender for the U.S. ???

swrider

Observer
So, just curious to get everyone's opinion on this statement. First I will say that I don't own either of these vehicles, but if given the chance I would go with the Defender in a heart beat, especially a custom piece from Land Rovers UK. In reality, it will probably be a JKU, because I do live in the State and defenders are like unicorns.
Anyways, I've heard this statement before from people who have owned both vehicles and I am not sure how accurate it could be. Both vehicles are very capable; they both come with tons of history behind them, but...
How would you compare them to each other; ride quality, build, aesthetics (because we all like the look of what we drive)???

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
If you search, there is a 2012 Expeditoon Portal blog article discussing this. I would say, that in terms of relative capability and flexibility, the JKU is as close as we'll ever come on these shores.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Defenders are not unicorns. If you want one, there are dozens of them for sale on any given day. Whether you have the motivation to actually commit to owning one or not is a different story, one that may not be fully written until after you've bought and owned one for a year plus.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Defenders are not unicorns. If you want one, there are dozens of them for sale on any given day. Whether you have the motivation to actually commit to owning one or not is a different story, one that may not be fully written until after you've bought and owned one for a year plus.

And even if you do buy one for the allure, you'll likely sell it after 6months-year because it's a tractor with a high price tag.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
LOL i don't know about the ugly part, some JKU's are pretty bad *** looking.

Some look great. I really liked the Jurassic Park Jeeps. I know they're not JKUs. There's just too many of these embarrassing abominations running around
Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Sport-Utility-4-Door-3-6l-Wrangler-Photo-.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
The JK and building one is basically the new midlife crisis vehicle.

No more sportscars because you gotta have 4 doors to take the family.

That said, a 2 door Rubi JK is probably the most capable off road vehicle in stock trim. Even without the rubi package, the 2 door JK is formidable assuming the tires don't become too much of a limiting factor.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Cargo capacity and fuel mileage are the only things keeping me from buying a 4 door heep. I'd love a D110 but not for the money people are asking for them...and not for everyday driving....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles