Additional Chevy saddle tanks on Suburban?

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Not sure yet if this would work, but do any of you know if the Chevy/GMC pickup saddle tanks would mount onto a Suburban? The thought occurred to me last night, I could add another 40 gallons of fuel capacity to the Woofwagon by running left and right side tanks.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Sentinelist

Adventurer
In for feedback as well, on my K3500. It seems like a lot of space that could be used on that side as well, maneuvering around the exhaust (oh, maybe that's why)...

One of my next projects is getting the 10-gal. tank from the back of a Suburban mounted in my truck, same spot, spare tire relocated to a hitch carrier. I was told by someone this was needed, probably in either case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161113261973?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

superbuickguy

Explorer
you're welcome to measure my truck.... I've considered going the opposite way, putting a 40 gallon tank where the spare is on my truck, in the end I just haven't - but I don't see why you couldn't put side saddle tanks on the 'burb.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I don't either. A single point fueling system like what's on fighter jets could be built up either using a siphon or 12VDC transfer pumps.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I will be crawling under my 'burb this weekend doing some measurements....now you have me thinking.....

Even though I was thinking of putting a compressor and air tanks under there, there is A LOT of room under a Suburban.

MikeCG

Adventurer
Not sure yet if this would work, but do any of you know if the Chevy/GMC pickup saddle tanks would mount onto a Suburban? The thought occurred to me last night, I could add another 40 gallons of fuel capacity to the Woofwagon by running left and right side tanks.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I don't see why it wouldn't. My aunt had an '87 1500 Silverado 4x4 that had dual tanks and a switch on the dash to select which tank you use. I imagine there isn't much of a difference under the bodies to the trucks vs. the subarban. I had an '82 F150 that had dual tanks (center and rear, if your looking for a take to go under the rear, I would look into one of those.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
That's why I'm scratching my head why I haven't heard of this kind of mod before. I'll be taking some measurements this evening on the Woofwagon to see if this is possible. I'm thinking that a 6 position switch/valve would be able to handle 3 tanks. The biggest issue would be to wire up the three separate fuel level floats to the gas gauge.

DaveNay

Adventurer
That's why I'm scratching my head why I haven't heard of this kind of mod before. I'll be taking some measurements this evening on the Woofwagon to see if this is possible. I'm thinking that a 6 position switch/valve would be able to handle 3 tanks. The biggest issue would be to wire up the three separate fuel level floats to the gas gauge.
Since it's just a resistance value, a three way selector switch should work fine.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I will try to remember to take some pictures tonight of the underside with some dimensions. I don't see why this wouldn't work. I think the biggest issue would be filling the tanks and how to route the filler ports without body panel modifications.

DaveNay

Adventurer
This type of switch should work

http://www.amazon.com/Split-Shaft-P...=1409956411&sr=8-6&keywords=1+pole+3+position

61fjzH5BEkL._SL1500_.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I was just looking at my K10 and Suburban it looks like the small 16 gallon truck side saddle tank may work in a Sub however rigging up a fuel fill hose could pose as a problem. If your burb also has rear A/C it looks like the A/C lines would also interfere with the tank brackets on the passenger’s side.

Like Superbuickguy, I have often thought about removing my two 16 gallon tanks on the K10 and going to a Suburban or G-van 40 gallon suburban tank in the rear. The problem on that truck is the rear winch bumper and receiver hitch don’t leave any room for a rear tank. I hate having two tanks on different sides of the truck. Nothing but a hassle to turn the truck around when it is time to fill up both tanks especially at busy truck stops.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Not sure if this would be of any help to you. BLT Offroad Avalanche
The Avalanche is similar to the Suburban undercarriage. Mine is a newer model, however there may be some similarities?
I removed the spare tire and installed an 18 gallon fuel tank. It tucks up nice underneath.

tank9.JPG

I decided to carry my sand ladders under it They also act as a skid plate :)

Ladders.JPG

Two filler necks can confuse the attendant some times :)

filler2.JPG

This has been working great for me all these many years now. No regrets. I found the extra 18 is just about right. I have a comfortable range around 500 miles. I can push it to 700 if needed. More means more weight. I did that on my last truck where I packed 35 gallons over the stock fuel tank. I rarely dipped into the third tank. For me 20 gallons more than stock is plenty. My Avalanche has a combined capacity of 49 gallons.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That works great for newer Suburbans that have the fuel tank between the frame rail and drive shaft but these old square Suburbans already have the tank in the rear between the axle and bumper. The frames are too narrow on the old burbs to place a tank between the rail and driveline, which is why the tanks were in the rear to begin with.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Kinda thought that might be the case. Sure seems like you might be able to fit a tank from a truck -'73 to late '80s. I know there were some concerns about side impact collisions, however some sliders should offer extra protection there. I say go for it and lets see how it should be done. The transfer tank works well for me.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
My 'Burb already has a 40 gallon tank in the rear. Between the frame rails. I do like that idea of the sand rails to protect the tank though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94