Urban Suburban 1989 GMC Build

Rally592

Observer
Well I broke a right side quarter glass today. Got rear barn door glass back in and two front door windows and vent windows in.

Does anybody know any tricks to the rear quarter glass? (Big windows). For some reason it is really not working.

I have to find a new window :(

Rally592

Observer
After a nice long weekend and a trip to 3 different pick a(your) parts (50% off all weekend!) I replaced the passenger side/rear window I broke and managed to get both sides installed. There is not really any trick except to use lube. The gasket is placed on outside of opening then the glass is put in (reverse from rear barn door windows or windshields) . It takes two people and patience but it goes in. The issue is the gaskets do not fit tight on window so you can not rope them in. So I managed to get them in and I like the dark factory tint with the brown. Window cost me $20 and some time but no big deal. Glad there are still some of these in junk yards as parts are plentiful and cheap. Also got vent windows in along with door glass in front doors. Still trying to figure out a electrical issue with passenger door. All this little stuff takes so much time but hopefully will be worth it. some pics of the installed glass.

utherjorge

Observer
This looks beautiful. Not too many pick and pulls in my neck of the woods, but this spring, when it's time for color, I think I'll be doing some replacing.

rayra

Expedition Leader
All that black and brown is going to look real good together. I'd be tempted to black out the rest of the chrome bits.

Rally592

Observer
So I finally got the windows sorted (two broken wires and one bad switch later). I am starting to tackle the interior. I just laid the carpet out to try and get it to relax a bit and I am working on the headliner and overhead console. The overhead console is actually stock with the truck as it came from Grand Prix conversions. I just updated the dome lights with LED dome lights and the switches are all wired for spare stuff and also things like radio, dome light override etc. This is where the driving lights and off-road lights will be activated.

I refinished the wood (oak) and re-upholstered the console and also got the headliner half way in this weekend.. It will not be in until all the fiberglass/plastic trim is in on the sides as that holds the edges the rest of the way. I kept the reading lights from Gran Prix also as they are nice to have. Next challenge is carpet. I went with brown to go with the theme of the truck. Anyway, latest pictures attached.

FoeHammer

Beautiful Burb:Wow1:. I'm planning on getting one this tax season to turn into a camping truck. Subscribed!

Rally592

Observer
Just a quick update guys. Working interior stuff stinks more than body work in my opinion. I cant wait to get to more fun stuff like roof racks, winch bumpers etc.

One of the complaints my wife had about the truck was the seat belts. They would sometimes worked and sometimes did not. You can imagine with the family that made her nervous. So I am updating the seat belts with more modern ones! This required some fabrication and cutting the old belts off the brackets (one big rivet) at this point I have the middle seat in and also the seat belts as of yesterday. They are DOT approved and look good. here are some pics. enjoy!

Bojak

Adventurer
Good luck. I spent what I consider to be a lot of money for new belts. Bought really highly recommended ones, mehhh! Dont retract very well at all. Hope yours do better.

Rally592

Observer
There are updates but I have been too busy working to get them up! The Project is alive and well. I have a camping trip scheduled for mid march and want to take the burb… we will see.
Interior is done. For now. I added the interior winch control and dual battery switch from 12 volt guy where the ash tray used to be. I still need to do a bunch of wiring for the lights, winch, dual batteries etc. I managed to paint the fairing on the rack and it will go on the truck soon. I also started mounting stuff to the front bumper although I am not going to put that on until last. Here are some pics. Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94