Urban Suburban 1989 GMC Build

Excellent work Rally, great fab. Almost afraid to ask if your going to use it off road its really too nice to get dirty. Can't wait to see the total build.

Rally592

Observer
Project NOT dead! i am just slammed at work for the last couple of months. I will try and get some updates later this week along with some pics.

Rally592

Observer
wrapping up.

Well to update you all I have been busy at work and Burb is on the road. Right now just making sure everything works like it should and shaking out little details. I enjoy driving it every day and will be taking it on a camping/fishing trip end of august to try out even more features etc. Top rack is all on. Tire swing out all done although I measured wrong and had to use a wheel spacer to space out spare. Thing drives good!

Here is pic of spacer I had to use. 2.5 inches! Yes I really messed that up measuring and found out after powder coating!

So far getting 15 MPG on highway, Sub 10 MPG driving in town.

So pics as it sits today. not sure what is next on it. i hope to add pics out and about on adventures soon.

justcuz

Explorer
Excellent job on the (I'll call it restoration) of the Suburban.
I throw out a couple things for future reference.
1. I've installed cams as big as 398/420 lift on a stock 5.7 throttle body engine with no adverse effects passing smog. The stock TBI cams are puny and a standard 390/410 lift carburated camshaft is an improvement.
2. 1 ton 3 leaf front springs from an early model tuck are direct bolt on and give about a 1.5 inch lift.
3. 3/4 ton or 1 ton rear leaf springs can be bolted in as well or added to your existing main leaf to build a cutom spring pack. Obviously the previously mentioned springs have to come from a square body GM product.
4. There is a rear sway bar used on dually camper specials that will bolt right on to the rear axle and chassis of your truck. They are a little hard to find but they are serious beef compared to aftermarket ones if you choose to go that route. The bar mounts use the u bolt spring plates. If you add heavier springs I doubt you will need the sway bar.
5. If you ever blow up that 10 bolt, find a 14 bolt semi float. The 6 lug ones come in 88 and newer light duty 2500 trucks. You will have to relocate the spring perches, but you will gain a 9.5 inch ring gear, 1.33 inch diameter axles and 13 inch rear brakes. The only bigger axles you can get in a semi float rear axle is a Dana 60. 6 lug Dana 60's only came in GMC trucks from 67-72 and are real hard to find.
I really look forward to seeing some of your trip reports now that your ready to roll. You have really done a nice job!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior