Urban Suburban 1989 GMC Build

Rally592

Observer
One problem with body work is the mess it makes! I have had the burb on the back patio for about 5 months doing body work (no HOA for me!) Hey I figure better than the front yard!

Rally592

Observer
The hood on this truck was a repo hood and it appeared somebody previous to me let their kids stand on it and maybe use it as a trampoline. It was not worth saving so ordered a new CAPA certified (whatever that means but I think it means it is supposed to fit) hood from rockauto and then did some louvers to help hot air out of the engine compartment (yes I got the idea from PMA4X4).
Pics of hood.

Rally592

Observer
Thinking of possibly future mods I wanted to modify the fenders for a little more tire clearance. My 32’s don’t rub but I want to possibly upgrade to 33’s when I need new tires. So I modified the fenders. It is hardly noticeable unless you know what to look for. Clearance should be good for 33’s hopefully?

Rally592

Observer
Color is WA9201 Medium Mesa brown. It is an original color for 1989 GM trucks. I am painting all jambs then assembling the truck and will shoot the exterior all at once. The reason I am doing this is all the parts and the body will not fit in a paint both! It is a big truck when blown apart! I am using a Sherwin Williams Automotive single stage urethane. Its formulated for heavy duty trucks (semi’s) so it will hopefully hold up to kids and camping.

Rally592

Observer
Classy build so far, will be subscribing. What color do you think the final paint job will be?

thanks trying to just make a clean family rig. Color is WA9201 Medium Mesa brown. It is an original color for 1989 GM trucks. The color shown on the pics of the jambs is the color it will be all over.

warwgn

Explorer
ok where did you get the hood louvers from and part number? I am loving that, I put out a but load of heat and those would really be the ticket to help keep it cooler!!

Rally592

Observer
So finally got the final blocking done and doors etc back on the truck. Hood fits good! Along with that I rebuilt all the hinges so no more saggy doors. Next step is paint!
Pics of truck back together.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Great project, I got to drive that body style a good bit back when they were new. Loved them then, and the feeling has remained. Subscribing, looking forward to more! :lurk:

Rally592

Observer
I have good memories of this body style. One of my earliest memories was in Oklahoma at my uncles ranch where they raised Brahma Bulls for rodeos. those suckers were mean. I remember watching the guys come to practice and my cousin somehow broke an arm. We got into the old suburban and headed out to the hospital as fast as that thing could go. some things stick with you. My ride in that burb still does. That and the ground shaking when the bulls would do their thing.

Rally592

Observer
As of last week it is off to paint at a friend’s house. He has a paint booth in his back yard and he normally does not paint cars for people but we built/painted a car for somebody years ago together and also worked together at my previous job. I always try to stay in touch with him and we help each other every once in a while with various projects. Here is a pic on the suburban on the trailer heading out for my friends back yard.

Hopefully get it painted soon and start putting this thing back together. Updates will be a little slower as it is currently too hot to paint (about 110 with high humidity). We are currently waiting for a little cooler weather then hopefully get this thing painted and put back together.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Awesome! I wish I had more room to work, tearing my truck apart like that couldn't happen at my house. Excellent work man, I can't wait to see it painted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles