Kargo Master Pro III as a base to build on?

yosemitesamiam

Hey all,

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota quad cab with a Glasstite camper shell. I was looking for some sort of rack I could build on, rather than modifying the shell, or attaching a roof rack to it.

I came across the Kargo Master Pro III which claims 1,000lb load capacity (far exceeding my truck's capability which is fine by me...I'm more interested in using this while parked).

I was wondering what ideas you could all conjure up with this? I could go with or without the shell...my first thought was with shell, add a rooftop tent.

My other thought was forget the shell and build onto the frame of this thing...maybe soft-side the lower portion where a shell would be and try to pick up a few inches of leg room for sleeping, since the Dakota does lack in more-than-little-person leg room.

Any ideas? Here is a photo of what it looks like on the back half of a newer quad cab dakota.

Pro-III-Mini-KS-Large.jpg

Thanks all!

Sam

jdinevens

Adventurer
I've got a kargo master on my truck, not that model though, check in the Sig. My plan is to put a RTT on it eventually, they are pretty solid, but they end up putting a brace in your bed, not sure if thats a big deal for you. I've had a lot of people ask me about it that would use it for Kayaks. My only gripe is that it's a bit long, it sticks out past the top of the windshield a little bit and the front part definitely flexes. Any other questions let me know.

Bojak

Adventurer
Most manufacturers load rate with a safety factor that is safely below actual load ability. " if it can hold 1500lbs. , then we will say a 1000 and have less liability." The reason I mentioned this is I have had a kargomaster and they are extremely strong. I have put 22 boards of 2x10x16ft.and it didn't phase it a bit. As far as ideas go, mount retractable awnings to the sides, mount expanded metal or metal mesh across cross bars as a floor, lots of LED light mounting option, and it can hall many loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior