My new project

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
That is how a Range Rover should look. How much did the extra steel sag your suspension? Any plans for a winch?

Chucaro

Adventurer
Thanks Mike
The Range is well under the maximun payload and it is a bit high on the front to allow for a new bullbar and a winch. The rock sliders already done the work in the Stooge Rangie last weekend. The problem is going to fit the big rear spare wheel at the back. That is extra weight well back of the rear axle and here in Oz we have to make it very strong.
Cheers

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Have you considered the roof for mounting the spare? I know it's weight up high and decreases your avalable storage, but it wouldn't add a lot of weight, and what it did would be between the axles. It would also help keep you from overloading the roof rack.

If you do mount it on the back, how many hinge points are you going to use?

Chucaro

Adventurer
Mike, the roof mounting it is out of question for me due to a health reasons (very bad back) and also increse the high of the vehicle limiting the access to under cover car parks.

The system that i use for rear wheel carrier is based in only one hinge point that is made using the hub and axle butt for thrailers. It is very strong and using bearings with proper grease last for years. Not many people use this system or think about the idea.

For trailers and long expedition vehicles I use a spare hub on the top mounting of the spare wheel which is a handy spare hub to have in case that one of the hubs of the trailer or vehicle breacks down.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles