New Used Canoe?

Cayuse

Observer
The one in your link is heavy, will be slow and the dents are a sign of a soft hull but it is cheap!

I would look for a fiberglass cloth canoe rather than one of the plastics. Glass will be easier to repair and will glide better through the water, not to mention it will be lighter.

Have no idea what the market in Minneapolis is like for used canoes so no idea how long you may have to search to find one that falls in your price range.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Well being in Minnesota you are in a meca for Canoes. Look for a good brand name like Old Towne, Mad River, Wenonah, or Bell.

In your price point I would look for a plastic boat or Rolodex.
Pros: Durability, you can drag the boat across a rocky beach and have little worries.
Price will be cheaper than wood, fiberglass or Kevlar.
More quite in the water than aluminum boats (good for fishing) and warmer to sit on in cold water.
Cons: look for dents or warps in the plastic. If the canoe was crushed; pinned in a hydraulic, snow load or stepped on by a moose the boat will be shot.
Plastic may be too heavy for you. Will you be putting in on your truck/car rack solo? Do you plan on big portages around Voyagers Boundary Waters National Park? If so look to spend more money and get a glass boat or a folding boat like an Ally boat.
When shopping:
Find a size that is good for you: solo paddling 12-15 foot tandem 15-17 foot with a 2 + big newfoundland dog 17-18 footer, want three seats or removable seats? Rivers or lakes? Boat rocker and hull shape is something to look into as-well-as. Will you put a kicker motor on the boat? A square stern may be better than adding a bolt on transom. http://www.trailspace.com/articles/canoe-shapes-curves.html
Check the gunwhales and seats to see if they are pulling away from the hull of the boat. Wood may look good but plastic or Aluminum gunwhales and seats are also more durable and require less care.
If storage is an issue living in the city renting boats may be better for you to start with I know many places in the Midwest rent good boats.
Big thing is get out an d have fun.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/clt/4656759838.html
Mad River Canoe - $425 (Burnsville)

00B0B_jGBqvSBN6N1_600x450.jpg

condition: good
Mad River Canoe, Teton model. 16', 34" beam. Also includes canoe seats and paddles.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/4653760611.htmlCanoe-Mad River Canoe - $350 (Pine City)

01717_kAzbdH6tPqB_600x450.jpg

condition: good size / dimensions: 16 feet
Canoe: Approximately 16 feet, Mad River Canoe in very good condition. Webbed seats. Contact Gene at
show contact info
(call or text). Cash only.
Same seller as above but an 17 foot old town http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/4653705206.html

Lastly I'm a sucker for wood boats this is what I would by, but they are a special kind of boat, hard to store, lots of sanding and upkeep on these boats.http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/4650159897.html

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Why no aluminum love?
For your budget I would look for a 16' grumman...manageable weight solo...indestructible...and will outlast you...I still have my grandfather's from the 50s
I leave mine outside...no worries

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Why no aluminum love?
For your budget I would look for a 16' grumman...manageable weight solo...indestructible...and will outlast you...I still have my grandfather's from the 50s
I leave mine outside...no worries

This is true, grummam's got me out on the water growing up. Paddled one down parts of wisconsin rive last summer.

jhill15

Explorer
Check out your local dicks sporting goods. If you can wait until around october youcwill be able to get a good deal on a brand new one. I bought my potomac 14.6 canoe on clearence for $279.
This one is the same canoe as mine...
a1b4b4fd9f00d594739d410d372451d8.jpg
here is mine strapped to my trailer
dbbde8abf6116d25bcb91d6f2639facb.jpg
after I bought it I ran over to cabellas and bought 2 paddles for $15 each and was in the water for under $340 tax included.
Anywho thats what I would do. Wait it out until they go on clearence and snag a new one for cheap.

Cayuse

Observer
Wood boats don't require as nuch upkeep as you might thing and are more durable than most people give them credit for. I have a 17' cedar strip canoe that is is very similair in hull shape to a Wenonah Spirit II and weighs 64lbs. About the only maintenance I need to do on a regular basis is wipe down the gunwales with tongue oil to keep them from drying out. I have taken it down small streams and through some rapids and it has the scratches to prove it.

Not a fan of aluminum or any or the plastic boats that have a keel on them as they cause problems in moving water. If you can find a copy of The Open Canoe by Bill Riviere it is well worth reading and will tell you more about materials and canoe design than you probably ever wanted to know.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
When buying a new canoe be aware that you get what you pay for. Try to stay away from any thermoformed canoes, as they are the "cheap" versions and the quality is simply not there. 3 layer poly are widespread and a great canoe, and if you have the chance to get a royalex at a decent price, do not pass it up. They are lightweight, reliable, and not made anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles