Roof Top Tent: Take me to school

Blind_Io

Adventurer
For what is worth, I have a CVT Rainer. It was been a solid investment.

Bobby over at CVT is a super nice guy, and stands behind their product.

If I was planning on a multi month trip, say, 6-9 months… I might consider a higher end tent, and only then maybe.

Our CVT gets used about 30-45 night a year, and has suited this purpose very well.

I will be in Moab next week if you want to make the trip to see it.

One word of advice, if you roll around in your sleep like I do, get a bigger tent than you think you need. Our tent is a 4 man, and idea for two of us and a couple small dogs. I think a 2 man would be too tight for my needs.

Best of luck,

Brandon

Thanks, as much as I would love to get down to Moab, things at work are blowing up right now. The CVT seems to be well liked by owners and I'm not planning on any month-plus long expeditions (I still have to work, after all). It seems like I could probably get a larger and more comfortable tent for the money going that route.

My big thing is finding the right balance between economy and quality. I don't want to waste my money on something that won't last, but I also don't think this will be the last tent/camping solution for me. I may end up with a hardside trailer down the road, but right now this seems like the most efficient way to improve my comfort. Honestly, it will probably be an evolution, with the RTT being eventually moved to a small expedition trailer when one can be added to the fleet, and possibly a hard side trailer with some more creature comforts down the road. Now I'm still very new to overlanding, but I have extensive experience driving off road on day trips and camping, just not combining those two. It seems that overlanding opens up much more but demands many more skills in the logistics, planning, and navigating areas. I'm excited to get out and start doing it, but with all the damage I've done to my body in my younger years sleeping on the ground just isn't happening any more. I did my time sleeping under the stars, now a memory foam mattress and an air conditioned vehicle is where it's at.

mudlover86

Thanks, as much as I would love to get down to Moab, things at work are blowing up right now. The CVT seems to be well liked by owners and I'm not planning on any month-plus long expeditions (I still have to work, after all). It seems like I could probably get a larger and more comfortable tent for the money going that route.

My big thing is finding the right balance between economy and quality. I don't want to waste my money on something that won't last, but I also don't think this will be the last tent/camping solution for me. I may end up with a hardside trailer down the road, but right now this seems like the most efficient way to improve my comfort. Honestly, it will probably be an evolution, with the RTT being eventually moved to a small expedition trailer when one can be added to the fleet, and possibly a hard side trailer with some more creature comforts down the road. Now I'm still very new to overlanding, but I have extensive experience driving off road on day trips and camping, just not combining those two. It seems that overlanding opens up much more but demands many more skills in the logistics, planning, and navigating areas. I'm excited to get out and start doing it, but with all the damage I've done to my body in my younger years sleeping on the ground just isn't happening any more. I did my time sleeping under the stars, now a memory foam mattress and an air conditioned vehicle is where it's at.

I can second the CVT as well. The tent is really good quality. I have been in a few different RTTs before and was quite (pleasantly) shocked how well made it was especially for the price. You can probably find a cheaper tent out there, but the CVT quality you get for price it would be hard to find.

In addition Bobby is a really great guy and went above and beyond helping us with our tent. I would highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreamin88s

When you do decide on a RTT make sure to get it up and open asap.
Look for needle holes zippers that are problematic or just plain defects.
I had mine for a while before using it and found all the above. ....and yes it was/is name brand....
I still like it very much but disappointed in the quality for $1400.
Manufacturer kinda shrugged it off as a later model n out of there control.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
May I ask for the company name? If they won't stand behind the product that will factor I to my decision of which tent I should get. I don't have a problem with a company that makes mistakes, I do have a problem if those mistakes are ignored - it is a matter of integrity.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I like the idea of a hard shell, but space is an issue. I am wanting to mount the tent on my factory XTerra roof rack and still have access to the wet box where I store my recovery gear. I also have a tentative plan to have fuel storage up there too, so having a larger sleeping area that packs into a small footprint is the goal.

I would think carefully about having a rack, tent, recovery gear and fuel on the roof. That is a lot of load and will definitely screw with you COG. Light stuff up top, heavy stuff down below...

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I have considered other options, but the only viable alternative to get the desired functionality is a far more expensive trailer - an alternative I cannot afford right now. I also don't particularly like the idea of towing off road. The recovery gear is pretty light, a base plate for the high lift, a strap, and a couple of clevises. I also have a polymer handle axe and a tarp up there.

As for the fuel, I have a design in mind that might help with that. I'm talking to a fellow XTerra guy and fantastic fabricator about my idea and we think we can make it work. If the design moves forward I will be sure to post the results.

One of the things I'm considering in a tent is the weight and dynamic load is on my mind. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget so grand ideas for the ideal expedition rig simply can't happen right now. I have quite a bit of wheel time in my vehicle with several different suspension builds. My current setup was designed for extra load carrying. I am confident that my many years of experience combined with the rig itself will be able to manage the dynamic loading in off camber and other tippy scenarios. I will, of course, do some testing in a managed environment with a spotter before finalizing any configuration. At some point I do want to widen the stance by 6" with a Titan Swap. That means no roll bars but a significantly wider stance to handle off-cambers.

awesternroad

I'm a big fan of Treeline Outdoors, one of the newer players in the roof top tent market. http://treelineoutdoors.com/collections/roof-top-tents

My favorite thing about it is how lightweight it is, only 97lbs.

"The Tamarack model features a rugged, lightweight aluminum honeycomb base, the strongest and most durable tent base on the market. Oversized awning windows can be rolled up for unrestricted views. Other unique features include utility storage bags and a hi-tech Diamond Ripstop rainfly. As always the tent sets up and takes down in minutes and comes with a built-in, cloth covered, high density foam mattress that can stay inside the tent during travel." http://treelineoutdoors.com/collections/roof-top-tents/products/the-tamarack-roof-top-tent

Cherryred11

I thought their tents had a nice design. The Tamarac is pretty sweet. My only issue is that their annex has no floor. If I take my dog he can't stay in the annex because he will get out. If they would put a floor in the annex I would buy one in a heartbeat.

ColoDisco

Explorer
After researching tents for quite (and realizing almost all of them are made in China, http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=Roof+top+tent) a while I chose the CVT option. Paid about $1900 including shipping for my tent, annex, awning and screen room for the awning. After just one use I tagged the tent on a tree on beef basin in Utah, damaging it badly. 100% my fault, suppose I forgot it was up there. After returning I called up Bobby and explained I need replacement parts. He explained he would figure out a way to help me out as he did not have parts readily available. He took the parts I needed off a demo tent and shipped them to me at no charge!! Now I know this kind of service is not expected every time however that was going FAR beyond my expectations. My tent has been perfect ever since. Only thing I have done in the past 2 years is add a buckle system to draw the 2 shells together, due to some residual bend in the mounted base from my earlier impact in Utah, and added LED lights to the tent and awning. I also added a protection system to my roof rack which in Colorado has come in handy several times. I do agree on the black cover, looks cool but roasts your knees in the summer. I toss a tarp from Dventure tool company on there so I can crawl across to set up the tent.

As she sits today:
image.jpg
LED in awning, annex and in tent:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Good luck with your choice!

Cascadia-vehicle-tents

Supporting Sponsor
After researching tents for quite (and realizing almost all of them are made in China, http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=Roof+top+tent) a while I chose the CVT option. Paid about $1900 including shipping for my tent, annex, awning and screen room for the awning. After just one use I tagged the tent on a tree on beef basin in Utah, damaging it badly. 100% my fault, suppose I forgot it was up there. After returning I called up Bobby and explained I need replacement parts. He explained he would figure out a way to help me out as he did not have parts readily available. He took the parts I needed off a demo tent and shipped them to me at no charge!! Now I know this kind of service is not expected every time however that was going FAR beyond my expectations. My tent has been perfect ever since. Only thing I have done in the past 2 years is add a buckle system to draw the 2 shells together, due to some residual bend in the mounted base from my earlier impact in Utah, and added LED lights to the tent and awning. I also added a protection system to my roof rack which in Colorado has come in handy several times. I do agree on the black cover, looks cool but roasts your knees in the summer. I toss a tarp from Dventure tool company on there so I can crawl across to set up the tent.

As she sits today:
View attachment 250105
LED in awning, annex and in tent:
View attachment 250106View attachment 250107View attachment 250108

Good luck with your choice!

Thank you for those kind words...

Hello Brad,
One thing I did notice is that you have a telescoping ladder. How well is it still working for you? If you have any problems...as we have had with telescoping, please let me know and we can get you switched out. We did replace about 40 of these and switched back over to the sliding. Let me know.

Thank you again,

Bobby

carbon60

Explorer
One thing I did notice is that you have a telescoping ladder. How well is it still working for you? If you have any problems...as we have had with telescoping, please let me know and we can get you switched out. We did replace about 40 of these and switched back over to the sliding. Let me know.

My telescoping ladder worked great, until I spent a week in the sand. :)

Still works, just a bit finicky.

A.

Been lookin at tents, looks like I'll go with a Tepui based on recommendations from the overlanders.

Cvt's are cheap but you also get cheap quality looks like.

I see you found roof top tents and awnings. I don't know if you are actually trying to be confrontational but in just 30 posts it looks like you are. I have a CVT RTT and I personally don't see anything that would qualify your statement. If you choose to purchase a Tepui you won't find anything lacking in quality there either. I look forward to your personal experience with whatever brand you end up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online