Maryland m416 - 2nd Build

Kflash

Adventurer
Thought I would start a new thread for my second project. Thought I could do all my camping out of the new Tundra, but turns out the trailer was the best to keep loaded and ready to hitch up. So wish I had kept my first one! O well, sold it for a profit and it helped pay for Linex and a cover for the bed of my truck.

This one was purchased in Lovettstown, VA for $400. 1967 (5 years older than my first one). In half decent shape. The one thing I will miss from the first one is that there are no under the frame lifting hoops welded on front and rear. They were nice for strapping things down.

Probably was really lucky towing it home as there was zero grease in those hubs once I pulled them apart. The tow was 1.5 hours back to Maryland. Hubs were a little warm. Stopped several times to check.

There was a nice dent in the front driver's side of the tub. I heated the area up and was able to bring it back to near perfect. Was originally a little bummed about that but all is now good.

At this point I have it pressure washed, and some minor disassembly done.

I found one rust hole behind one of the side reflectors (water must have been able to pool behind it. Will have to have a patch panel welded in. All the rest of the rust is basically surface. Will spray the bed with rust inhibitor after some clean up.

Posted another thread about the removal of a froze landing leg pin. Finally got it out with some help from another forum member - Thanks!

Plan to pull off the tub to apply under coating, have new plug retainers installed and to facilitate a good clean up and spray of the frame.

One step at a time...Will be basically following my first build...

Attachments

• 2trailer at purchase1.JPG
    2trailer at purchase1.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 79
  • 2trailer at purchase2.JPG
    2trailer at purchase2.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 2trailer rust side.JPG
    2trailer rust side.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 2trailer bed.JPG
    2trailer bed.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Kflash

Adventurer
2trailer bearings off..jpgWhat a painful evening. Had planned to repack wheel bearings tonight, but the goodie box from Armyjeepparts was short 3 races (sending separately from another site). As it turns out, the removal of the hubs was a pain. Had to beat the wheel to drive the front bearing out. The drivers side went ok, but the passenger side took all evening. The outer bearing came off, but much to my dismay, the rear bearing was froze to the spindle. Jerking tire off actually pulled the rear seal out. After much prying and two broken screw drivers, I as able to get it backed out enough to start using a pry bar and block of wood to begin backing it off. I ended up taking off that brake backing plate to make this easier. Just when I thought I was going to have to break out the cut off wheel, it finally slid off. Probably a real simple way to do this- slide hammer or some other "trick"...

So, I pulled off the other backing plate and took the opportunity to really clean and spray primer on the back of the plate before bolting them back on. Got all that back together and called it quits for the night.

Tomorrow I hope to have the other 3 races and will get the hubs back together - back to a rolling trailer.

Up coming...new parking brake cable (this one is toast), new shoulder bolt for the part of the parking break that makes the turn at the frame and attaches to the J bolt.

Talked to a guy about welding a patch panel in the side of the tub where water pooled behind a reflector and rusted through. He also sand blasts!! Almost pulled the trigger, but he quoted 750-900 to sand blast, spray rust inhibitor on the tub and frame and weld in the patch panel. It would be really nice to have all that work done, but can't justify the cost at this time. I'm not doing a full restoration, just a functional camp trailer that I could get my money out of if I decided to sell again.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I feel your pain. It is amazing what you find when you start taking this things apart!!!!!

At least you get to apply all you learned on the first one so this one will be even better than the first.

Kflash

Adventurer
Thanks for the encouragement Don. Hope I get this one close to the first. I think tub on the first one was a little more solid, but heck, for hauling camping gear, it doesn't have to be perfect - like some peoples M416 ; )

Kflash

Adventurer
Another productive evening. Wire wheel on grinder, disc sander and palm sander to the entire tub. Wire wheeled the tub floor and applied rust inhibitor. Need to primer the tub. Unbolted the bed and am ready to lift it off to work on the frame. After some minor rust repair, I am going to apply body filler to some areas in prep for paint.

Anyone know how heavy the tub is by itself??

Painted the hubs, hub caps, new brake cable, lunette and lunette washers and castle nut.

before rust inhibitor.jpgRust Inhibitor.jpg

Still waiting on the races for my hubs to get it rolling again. Without the wheels and the axle supported on jack stands makes it actually easier to work on.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I have the technical manual for these in PDF

if needed PM your email address & I'll get it out to you

Kflash

Adventurer
Anyone know what gauge steel the tub is made from. I need to get a small piece to weld in a patch about 4x4 inches.

Kflash

Adventurer
Worked until it started to rain.

Got the races replaced, bearings packed and rolling smooth again!

Pulled the tub off the frame. Surprisingly light. The wife and I were able to lift it and flip it over so that I could wire wheel the bottom.

Pulled off the shocks, old brake cable/hardware.

Wire wheeled the entire frame.

Note - I would love to have the frame sand blasted. Seems a shame to pull it all apart this far and not take it that one extra step. Again, not doing it keeps my budget low, still will look pretty good, all parts will still be rust inhibited and painted.

By now I really had the wire wheel. My arms are buzzing from holding it for hours.

Kflash

Adventurer
Another productive day. The weekend comes to a close

Finished prepping the frame for rust reformer paint. Sanded inside of tub and applied primer. Ready for the small rust spot patch panel and new brackets welded in for the drain plugs. While the tub is getting taken care of at the welding shop, I will paint the frame and reinstall brake cable, new shocks and wire up the lights. Once the tub is back, its paint and then off to the MVA for VIN and title application. Talked with the Maryland MVA. No problem getting a VIN. Talked with two people. Photo of back and side and a bill of sale and any photos of the restore/receipts.

Tub over unfinished.JPGframe unfinished.JPGframe unfinished 2.JPGtub primred.JPGtub close up.JPGtub on frame primered.JPG

Kflash

Adventurer
More progress yesterday. Frame painted flat black. New NAPA shocks painted black. Ordered Rust-Oleum Army Green Camo paint (shown is the army green next to the dark green camouflage color). Mocked up brackets for drain valves. I could still use the original brackets on one. Now just need to haul the tub to the welder this week. After that it's all reassembly. I was able to find a NOS hand brake locally for much cheaper than I have found on line - lucky find as mine is frozen.
photo 4.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 5.JPG

shocks.JPGframe painted.JPGdrain plug 3.JPGdrain plug 1.JPG

Kflash

Adventurer
Changed my mind in the paint. Going with the darker forest green. Tub bottom protected for a trip to the welding shop.

Ready for welding.JPG

Last edited:

Kflash

Adventurer
Back from the Welder

Heading to pick up the trailer from a welding shop up the street. Though I hate to pay for things I can see myself doing, the investment in hardware and skill is worth sourcing certain parts of a project. Pics coming soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra