New Northstar pop up "artic insulation" package

doctorit

Adventurer
I'll be most interested to see if this is "backwards compatible" with my TC650 (and even more interested if it doesn't cost as much as trading in for a new camper)...

kerry

Expedition Leader
Looks good. I wonder if that thick fabric folds as well as the standard stuff. It would be nice to retrofit it once my canvas wears out. It can't be cheap.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That foil faced insulation will certainly condense moisture.

And how do those tops lift? Manually or otherwise?

Might be interesting with a realistic amount of snow on the roof, considering the "artic" name.

Regardless, I like the direction that they are trying to push it. My biggest hangup with pop-ups is cold weather related.

brian90744

American Trekker
Great idea from North Star, I like what they are updating. A cheap idea I purchased a roll of silver bubble insulation from HD 25’x24”, cut a piece the width and length of my top pop-up just to see if it worked in cold weather.
We went on the 2013 Southern Calf, American Adventurist group “Mountain Rendezvous” camp out in Big Bear, CA, day temps 75F and nights 39F degree; I installed the insulation across the back and behind the lift bars on the side. It still needs to be cut to the correct width. I’m happy to report it worked great, inside at night stayed warm with the heater on the lowest setting. See pic

Attachments

• insulation 1.jpg
    insulation 1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 37

robert

Expedition Leader
I used the reflectix in my vw when it'd get cold. You can definitely tell a difference, especially when covering the windows.

mkish

Adventurer
These are manual roofs, and there's no reason for them not to be. We have the tc800 (8 ft floor) and the manual lift is absurdly easy with nothing on the roof. It's pretty darn easy with a 50lb boat on the roof. Any more than that could make it a small chore. I'm sure you'd want to remove some snow before popping up.

I like the back door window!

brian90744

American Trekker
is for the roof rack thread?? Next.
These are manual roofs, and there's no reason for them not to be. We have the tc800 (8 ft floor) and the manual lift is absurdly easy with nothing on the roof. It's pretty darn easy with a 50lb boat on the roof. Any more than that could make it a small chore. I'm sure you'd want to remove some snow before popping up.

I like the back door window!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Great idea from North Star, I like what they are updating. A cheap idea I purchased a roll of silver bubble insulation from HD 25'x24”, cut a piece the width and length of my top pop-up just to see if it worked in cold weather.
We went on the 2013 Southern Calf, American Adventurist group “Mountain Rendezvous” camp out in Big Bear, CA, day temps 75F and nights 39F degree; I installed the insulation across the back and behind the lift bars on the side. It still needs to be cut to the correct width. I'm happy to report it worked great, inside at night stayed warm with the heater on the lowest setting. See pic
My wife and I contrived an artic pak using space blankets we'd carried in our Honda Pilot for years. It makes a huge difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles