iPad vs. iPad Mini for Backcountry Travel

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
A new tablet is on the horizon as my first gen iPad is getting long in the tooth and many of my apps are losing support. I am going to stick with iOS. I keep coming back to the question of iPad vs iPad mini. For a given price, I can get a mini with more storage than the iPad. The resolution is the same between the two, as well. For my budget then, I am trying to figure out if I would be better off with a smaller screen and more memory or larger screen and less memory. Oh, and either way, it will be cell/wifi tablet, so I will have GPS and cellular based. connectivity. Thoughts or considerations?

Sent via fat thumb

PhillySMB

After years of a full size iPad I went with a Mini earlier this year. Thought I'd miss the big screen, but I find myself using the Mini way more than I ever used the full size pad. Much more user friendly IMO. Even took it on a bike tour in Europe this summer, which I'd never do with a full size one.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Interesting, I hadn't thought about non-vehicle support. I think I am most concerned about the loss of screen space, too

Sent via fat thumb

PhillySMB

Basically the mini with retina and the air have the same resolution (I believe) so will show the same screen real estate. The full size will be better for viewing movies, but IMO not that much better. I talked to a lot of folks who moved from the full size to the mini, and most all were happy with the switch and didn't miss the screen size.

summerprophet

Adventurer
A full size iPad will rarely leave the house. If it does it will be in a briefcase or purse.

An ipad mini on the other hand, will fit in a cargo pocket, hoodie pocket, glove box, center console, and top pouch of a backpack.

I have a ipad mini that I babied for over a year. Then one day I picked up a job surveying a number of extremely remote cellular towers. Tossed in with the luggage was an iPad mini. I ended up using it more for navigation and calculation, then I did for web surfing in the hotel room.

When I got back into town, I ordered a waterproof case, and screen cover. It has gone from a toy to a tool. You will not regret the mini.

haven

Expedition Leader
The iPad Mini has a 7.9 inch, 2048-by-1536 resolution at 326 pixels per inch.

Other specs
Height: 7.87 inches (200 mm)
Width: 5.3 inches (134.7 mm)
Depth: 0.29 inch (7.5 mm)
Weight: 0.73 pound (331 g)

The larger iPad Air has the same resolution, but the larger 9.7 inch screen size lowers the resolution to 264 pixels per inch.

Height: 9.4 inches (240 mm)
Width: 6.6 inches (169.5 mm)
Depth: 0.29 inch (7.5 mm)
Weight: 1 pound (469 g)

Both models use the A7 processor. Since the iPad has no external memory slot, I'd suggest that you purchase a model with as much internal memory as you can stand to pay for.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Backcountry and a tablet??

Or maybe you meant back-yard?? :eek:

You guys need to get out more, and go further.

You are not in the back-country if you still have a signal.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Backcountry and a tablet??

Or maybe you meant back-yard?? :eek:

You guys need to get out more, and go further.

You are not in the back-country if you still have a signal.

Umm... So you're saying, since I still have SATTELITE signal, it doesn't count? Where should I go? Thanks for the non-helpful post, by the way.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Considering that there is no tablet on the market (that I know of) that will connect via satelite on its own, Its a non-issue.

I can understand the desire to stay connected. I am most of the time via an Ipad Air and my IPhone.
But that is on the road, in the air, and in the office,

I simply do not see the need for it in the backcountry.
As it is, backcountry by simple definition is a remote place that is not-accessible by vehicle.

Are you saying that you are hauling all this crap in on your back?

carbon60

Explorer
I use a full-size iPad mounted with a RAM mount. I think the mini would take up less space and make accessing other controls (around/under it) easier.

My current setup:

apa5ugy7.jpg

(1996 Toyota Land Cruiser, FJZ80)

A.

Last edited:

Lars70

Observer
Considering that there is no tablet on the market (that I know of) that will connect via satelite on its own, Its a non-issue.

I can understand the desire to stay connected. I am most of the time via an Ipad Air and my IPhone.
But that is on the road, in the air, and in the office,

I simply do not see the need for it in the backcountry.
As it is, backcountry by simple definition is a remote place that is not-accessible by vehicle.

Are you saying that you are hauling all this crap in on your back?

My iPad mini has a GPS chip in it. Doesn't care whether there is a cell signal or not. I use downloaded USGS topo maps via an app, the iPad thus becomes a giant-sized GPS with better resolution than any of the small Garmins in my life. It's not the be-all and end-all; I still carry paper maps, but in remotest Nevada where I spend a lot of time, the electronic gizmo can save frustration when arriving at, for example, the intersection of several 2-tracks through the sagebrush where the desired route isn't obvious.

As for your definition of backcountry, that's subjective. I've flown my airplane into places that ground-bound vehicles can't access. Sure looked like backcountry to me. Therefore it is.

brentbba

Explorer
I use a full-size iPad mounted with a RAM mount. I think the mini would take up less space and make accessing other controls (around/under it) easier.

My current setup:

apa5ugy7.jpg

(1996 Toyota Land Cruiser, FJZ80)

A.

How stable is that flex mount with the ipad? Shakey? Would it, obviously, be more stable with the mini? Maker-Ram?

carbon60

Explorer
How stable is that flex mount with the ipad? Shakey? Would it, obviously, be more stable with the mini? Maker-Ram?

It shakes a bit, but not enough to bother me. I suppose the less weight you have on it, the less it would shake, yes.

It's all RAM: seat bolt plate, flex arm, etc:

- RAM Mount Plastic Rail Base for Aluminum Flex Rod (RAM-B-309-5U)
- RAM Mount Plastic Short Arm B-Socket (RAP-B-201U-A)
- RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball (RAP-B-238U)
- RAM Mount Universal 10 inch Tablet Mount Tab-Tite Cradle (RAM-HOL-TAB8U)
- RAM Mount Cradle Plate Vehicle Floor Mount 1.0 inch Ball (RAM-B-316-1-238U)

Some of those part numbers are actually "groups" of RAM parts, to make ordering simpler. You end up receiving everything seperately as a big pile of black bits. (Can be somewhat entertaining to figure out.) I find that some of RAM's choices are not ideal. For example, a kit might include the specific mount for a device (i.e. smartphone), the arm and the suction mount. But RAM makes a few different grades and lengths of arms, plus a couple strengths of suction mount. So, in hindsight, I would order the specific parts that I want.

Also visible in the photo is the mount I use for my iPhone:

- RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Locking Suction Cup Mount (RAM-B-166-UN7U)

And a mount for the not-visible DeLorme inReach:

- RAM Mount DeLorme inReach Lite Suction Mount (RAP-B-166-2-DEL2U)

The above, in hindsight, is not sturdy enough.

Maybe this needs its own thread…

A.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
We too use an iPad as GPS Unit for Offroad Navigation, together with an Ram-Mount.

It works well and survived a lot of bad tracks in europe and on our transafrica...

iPad Air vs iPad Mini is a hard question, since the new iPhone6+ is not much smaller than the iPad mini.

If you will use the Navigation Device for offroad Navigation with offline Satellite view and MotionX or similar apps, a bigger screen can be handy.

I guess the mini is a good compromise, if you dont get hot too the new iPhone6+ anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles