iPad vs. iPad Mini for Backcountry Travel

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah, someone in another post here compared mini to iphone 6+, which might be better. You'd have to consider battery and storage, which can be quite large with the 6.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Considering that there is no tablet on the market (that I know of) that will connect via satelite on its own, Its a non-issue.

I can understand the desire to stay connected. I am most of the time via an Ipad Air and my IPhone.
But that is on the road, in the air, and in the office,

I simply do not see the need for it in the backcountry.
As it is, backcountry by simple definition is a remote place that is not-accessible by vehicle.

Are you saying that you are hauling all this crap in on your back?

I use mine in remote places. It is a toolbox worth of materials in one package. I don't need to be connected to be able to use the math, photo, video or GPS functions. There are a bunch off offline applications that work just fine without being connjected.

For instance, in just the last week, I have used the following:
HP48 calculator application - for remote survey calculations
Offline Topo Maps - for site recon, and locating section corners
Theodolite - for gps positions, slope determinations, and site photos I can beam to my office once I am back at the hotel
And of course music playing and Photo taking.

And while this is for work, the nature of my work applies fairly well to remote travel and exploration.

Of course...... being as they are computers after all, treat them as convenience, rather than necessity. Computers in my life have a history of not working when you really need them to.

.... And backcountry is always accessible by vehicle. The vehicles just change depending on the terrain. I have been "backcountry" snowboarding, and regularly see more people on snowmobiles than I do on anything else.

carbon60

Explorer
I use an iPad without network connection all the time! As previously mentioned plus a place to have the entire Toyota FSM for my 80.

jerdog53

Explorer
We have been using our iPad mini this summer for back country navigation, :Wow1: clipped to the dash of the LR3. Its a non cell - wifi only unit only so once connected to a Garmin GLO it works perfect. The smaller screen doesn't seem to be a limiting factor as you can zoom in easily for more detail. Like others have said the minis smaller size can be easily tucked away into the glove box of wife's handbag which makes it convenient.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Are you saying that you are hauling all this crap in on your back?

As a matter of fact... My wife and I have used our iPad Mini with a Garmin GLO while snowshoeing and hiking. I'm afraid I don't have photos for you, but the GLO TX/RX is barely bigger than my thumb and, using sticky-back velcro, attached to the top of our backpacks (it connects to the iPad by Bluetooth), and we have a water-resistant case with a neck lanyard. It's not a heavy device at all and gives us navigation and photo/video capability.
Please don't continue to feel the need to intrude with your opinion that there is '[no] need for it in the backcountry." The OP's question was in the comparison between these devices, not one based in whether there is a "need" (or even a want) for the device in the first place.
Different strokes for different folks and all that. Have a nice day!

brentbba

Explorer
I use an iPad without network connection all the time! As previously mentioned plus a place to have the entire Toyota FSM for my 80.

:drool: Damn you for another good reason for an ipad/mini! Electronic version of the FSM would certainly beat the hell out of the 3" manual version I now carry in my 80. :)

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
An update: the night before two back to back trips, I went into Verizon to pick up a mini. I had concluded that a mini would be more travel friendly (easier to carry, less space in the truck, etc). Alas, they had only the 16 GB versions. So, in need and with one foot on the road, I purchased the Air. It is working great while traveling. At the end of the day, I think the 3G connection and adequate storage were the things that really mattered and screen size was somewhat irrelevant (for me at least).

Thanks for all of the great input!

Sent via fat thumb

Mad Matt

Adventurer
An update: the night before two back to back trips, I went into Verizon to pick up a mini. I had concluded that a mini would be more travel friendly (easier to carry, less space in the truck, etc). Alas, they had only the 16 GB versions. So, in need and with one foot on the road, I purchased the Air. It is working great while traveling. At the end of the day, I think the 3G connection and adequate storage were the things that really mattered and screen size was somewhat irrelevant (for me at least).

Thanks for all of the great input!

Sent via fat thumb

You nailed it. For me storage size is everything (I too have the entire FSM for my 80 on both my iPhone & iPad) and having connectivity (when available) directly reduces the amount of cached tiles I need to worry about having stashed on my iPad.

As to screen size, I really do think bigger is better. I use my iPhone for some stuff, but the more real-estate the better when trying to briefly glimpse down at a screen while driving.

Toys by blindranger, on Flickr

PatoNegro

iPad Mini in Nicaragua using MotionX GPS HD

I took my 64gig iPad Mini (non-retina) with Verizon LTE to Nicaragua for 3 weeks of mission work. I drove a local pastor wherever he wanted to go in a 4x4 Toyota Hylux. I used MotionX GPS HD and downloaded maps. The GPS combined with a Claro SIM card and their cell phone towers provided coverage from mountain roads in the north to muddy rain forest trails in the south. It also worked while driving in the capital, Managua. Having 64gig of storage was important because downloaded maps take up space.

Jon

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
:drool: Damn you for another good reason for an ipad/mini! Electronic version of the FSM would certainly beat the hell out of the 3" manual version I now carry in my 80. :)

I have downloaded the FSM to my phone and Ipad. Plus, i have the electronic manual for my radios and other gadgets/equipment if they have them. i even download the full schematics for my winch incase I had to work on it for some reason. It is nice that you can basically carry the entire Library of Congress in a phone now.

Cimarron13

I have downloaded the FSM to my phone and Ipad. Plus, i have the electronic manual for my radios and other gadgets/equipment if they have them. i even download the full schematics for my winch incase I had to work on it for some reason. It is nice that you can basically carry the entire Library of Congress in a phone now.
Same here. Anything I have that has a downloadable manual is on the iPad mini as well as all my Apple products. Gotta love iCloud sync. Started with iPad 2 for navigstion before going mini. Now the iPad 2 feels like carrying a big of rocks around. I don't know how I lugged that thing around before.

jerdog53

Explorer
My set up..

DSC00587_zps6919c4e5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles