Traveling Nova Scotia with my Nokia 1020 as GPS.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
We are taking at week long getaway to Halifax and doing some traveling around NS while there. Instead of taking a dedicated GPS I am going to try my Nokia 1020 with here drive app. Rumor has it that its the best GPS system available on smart phones. I tried it here in town and it works great, but hard on the battery. We will see how it goes.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I'd be wary of any cell-phone based GPS unit. Many of them require cell service to work correctly. Bring it along for sure, but make sure you have a dedicated GPS backup (and dedicated map backup backups!). We didn't use our phones in Nova Scotia when we traveled there last month so I can't comment on how the service was along the Cabot Trail. Our nav method of choice is a Laptop with mapping software.

SG

kojackJKU

its a gps based unit that is indipendant of cell service. Oh yes, we are doing peggys cove and Lunenburg in one day. We have been there before so we know its nice. I need to see the bluenose. We had boats all our lives and our last one was a 34ft marine trader trawler. Awesome boat. The bluenose is a LEGEND. She is the fastest schooner on the water, and faster is better!

I will report how here drive works. I would not use it for off road travel but we are only on pavement this trip as we are flying in and renting a small compact car.

Doing the cabot trail on sunday and Monday. Can't wait for that. plus a visit to glen Breton distillery where they create glen Breton single malt "scotch". they are not allowed to use the word scotch because its made in Nova Scotia instead of Scotland.

kojackJKU

After day one. GPS works awesome. 100 percent satisfied. One note is I need a 2.1 amp charger instead of a normal 1amp charger or the battery drains even when plugged in. I am going to the store today to get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles