Project: BlackPearl - '96 GMC Yukon 6.5L Turbo Diesel

BlackPearl

Hey everyone, Ive been watching quietly in the background for years now and its time I started to speak up. I finally found the truck that has taken me the better part of a decade to find and I couldn't be more ecstatic to start building

Here is my "new to me" 1996 6.5L Turbo Diesel Yukon. At this point it hasn't had to much done to it aside from what you can see in the picture. Front bumper was changed out, it was lifted up 5.5 inches and stood up on 35's. Somewhere along the line it picked up two bad paint jobs -green and black after the factory white, the interior was re-died black from the burgundy it got from GM and the stock fabric got an upgrade to leather. Oh and its seen its fair share of road both asphalt and dirt in the 428,000km its toured.

I have an extensive list of things I'm going to be doing to this truck over the next year or so, but we can get into that later. For now this is Project:BlackPearl

2abe5d53-444d-4b31-9ae2-9cb41ca1df47_zps5b3320ea.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Cool looking truck BlackPearl. I have a 94 with the turbo diesel. I would like to hear your thoughts on that powerplant and your truck in general. Mine has 373000 km and still going strong. Keep us updated with lots of pics... Cheers, Chilli....:)

BlackPearl

The Game Plan

Alright, this is the game plan or the run down on everything that is going to happen to this truck. In no particular order here we go.

Driveline/Chassis

- A LB7 6.6L Duramax will be relieving the tired 6.5L TD, a ZF6 Manual transmission will be backing the Duramax with the help of a NP263 Transfer case to get the power in the right directions
- A Dana 60 with a drivers side drop and high pinion will replace the stock IFS. It will ride nice and tall on set of 18" dual rate coil over shocks and radius arm set up
- A Corporate 14 bolt (Full Float) axle will take the place of the stock rear end, and will match the front with a set of 18" dual rate coil over shocks, but will have a triangulated 4 link to make it work in the dirt
- Custom 1 ton driveshafts will bring it all together
- Upgraded larger disk breaks will be loaded into the front end, and the back drums will get a nice hefty set of disks to match. Both sets will be driven by a hydroboost power steering unit inlace of the stock unit.
- A PSC hydraulic steering system will help me move this big rig in the rocks and clean up the handling on the road
- Lastly a set of 38's will become the boots on the truck kicking the 35's to the shed

Body/Protection

- The front bumper might stay it might not. Once I get into the build ill see how it works with the rest of the truck.
- The rear bumper will be fabricated to match whichever front bumper stays on the truck, it will also have a rear tire carrier
- The rear axel is going to be moved backwards on the truck for better departure angles and to lengthen the wheel base. That means the rear wheel arches are going to have to me moved back to match.
- A set of rock sliders will keep the rocks off the doors and will tie into a custom roof rack thanks to a set of curved ladders that will follow the contour of the body and act as a exo-cage
- A custom roof rack will be made to house, a roof top tent, 14 8' LED bars, and a custom 270* awning
- The hood is going to get some work and eventually look like a 2005ish HD Chevy hood
- A power sliding sunroof is going to be added to the truck
- Tow mirrors will get rid of the stock sport style mirrors
- Headlights will be changed over to LED, and a 20 inch bar will be added to the stinger on the bumper.
- Two additional gas doors will be welded into the body just behind the drivers and passengers side doors (ill tell you why in the Expo part)
- The rear lift gate/tailgate is going to be made into a Dutch style door used on the astro vans
- Both side windows will be converted into liftable hatches to match the rear window allowing access to the sides of the truck
- A Jeep style River Raider snorkel will be retrofitted for the top cover of the hood on the passengers side
- Once all the body work is done the truck will come off the frame, receive a through sand blasting inside and out, then repainted Burgundy and matte black broken up with a grey/silver pinstripe. It will also get bed liner under the entire truck on the floor of the truck from front to back and half way up the interior from the doors back.

Expedition Gear/Interior

- From the front seats back the interior is going to be stripped to make room for an internal cage that will be both structural and house all of the gear in the truck locking it in place.
- 2 30 gallon Husky water bladders will sit in the footwell for what used to be the back seat. One for drinking water, the other for clean dish/shower water. They will be refillable through the extra gas tank doors.
- A 14 inch tall double drawer system will sit on the floor in the back of the truck. One drawer will have hunting gear, and other valuable gear to be locked up. The other drawer will have a shallow RV style sink and quad top burner at either end with a prep space in the middle. This drawer will pull all the way out the hinge and turn 90* then slide back over where the tailgate would be (now replaced by a dutch style van door) there will also be two smaller shallow drawers under the prep space that will have plates/bowls/cutlery etc.
- An ARB fridge freezer will keep everything cool
- A Goal Zero 1250w Yeti Solar Generator will keep everything powered up and green, the solar panels will be mounted on a sliding rack that will hide under the roof top ten when its all packed up.
- Two RV water pumps (one for each bladder) will push water through a manifold controlled from the cooking area, to either the sink for either drinking or dished depending which bladder your pulling water from, or send it through an onboard hot water system to heat up for showering or hot dish water.
- The clean water side will also have a loop plumbed into it to send clean water through an on-board RO/DI unit that will refill the Drinking water bladder when it is getting low.
- Inside of the drivers rear window (the modified, now hatch style one) will have two 40lbs propane tanks, one will be full and useable for both the stove top burner and the tire carrier mounted/removable BBQ. The second propane tank won't actually be holding any propane, it instead will be turned into a wood burning stove with a cooktop for cold days or the fire restricted areas, or if you run out of propane.
- A Tepui Autana tent will be the luxury suit for my copilot, my dog, and me. The additional annex for the bottom will act as extra dry storage or another room for guests, but at the very least it will provide 2 walls before the custom awning joins up and circles the back of the truck.
- A custom "Foxwing" style awning with a twist will be made to fit into the roof rack, and will be designed to provide full coverage over 270* of the truck with the back end wide open. Attachable walls and removable PVC coated floor will give you wind/water/year round protection for cooking, and living. It will also be fitted with a stove jack for the wood burner to vent through.
- Inside the A/C controls are getting relocated to the shorter over head console to make room for the double din head unit with navigation, and the dozen or so switches needed to control everything in the truck from the drivers seat.
- Onboard air will run both lockers and whatever tools i might need on the trail.
- Lastly the two bucket seats and centre console will be ditched for a new 60/40 bench seat, and 4 point harness just incase.

I think I have everything in their but if I forgot something please tell me, maybe I just forgot to put it on the list! Otherwise if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

My estimated start date on the truck is November 1 2014

Last edited:

BlackPearl

Cool looking truck BlackPearl. I have a 94 with the turbo diesel. I would like to hear your thoughts on that powerplant and your truck in general. Mine has 373000 km and still going strong. Keep us updated with lots of pics... Cheers, Chilli....:)

I absolutely love the truck I have had it for a little over a week now but it runs fantastically for me. I don't have much bad to say about the truck mechanically other then it doesn't like reverse gear and I can't hear my turbo making much of any boost right now, but those are "specific to me problems" I think. I have owned and worked on a few 6.5's before and haven't had much of an issue with them at all, they do have factory problems like my PMD which burns out and sometimes you'll have issues with the lift pump or the bypass on the turbo, I have seen a few vacuum issues because of badly places tubes but that was just someones rookie mistake. I can't complain about the 6.5's so long as they are taken care of and given the attention the demand. There will be tons of pictures to come as the build progresses, and the more feed back/questions I get the more involved and detailed the build will be :)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Right on BlackPearl. I love my truck too having but 5000km on it in 1.5 months! I have towed a huge load on a u-haul trailer up to my property on 37km of logging roads.

Loves to flex too!

but the Yukon has a couple of mods like a Dana60 up front and dual fox shocks and 14 bolt rear...:drool:

I'm jealous of your diesel 2 doors! I wish I would have looked a little longer for one when I bought mine. Keep up the good work!

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I really wish GM had made a 4 door diesel Tahoe, because I'd have bought one. As it is, when this motor croaks, I'll replace it with an Optimizer Detroit diesel.

I'm excited to see how this goes :)

cent frum a smaert fone

BlackPearl

Guess what time it is!

Hey everyone! its November and that means this big old beastie is getting one last trip to the bush for a few days of hunting before she gets locked up in the garage and put under the knife!!
I know I outlined the skeleton of my build but now its time to start telling you what ill be doing, posting pictures as it progresses and probably bouncing ideas off of you all as I run into some problems along the way

The first thing ill be doing is popping the body off the frame, gutting the interior, and then blasting everything from top to bottom so I have a good and hopefully solid idea of what I'm working with here. The chassis will be broken down just the bones then strengthened front to back with a tube subframe and plates. After a some time in the booth the body will go back on so that I can start on the suspension - which I have finally decided on. Our BlackPearl will be flexing and rolling around on a custom 4 link front and back with a nice set of dual rate coil overs front and back.

that should bring us to the second or third week of December about 3 weeks of disassembly and prep before I can start to mock up the suspension

superbuickguy

Explorer
sounds like a great build.... I love my 6.2 with a gale banks turbo, though when it dies - I have a 6.5 waiting for its turn. I like the duramax, but the truck is a hobby truck - so spending the change to put a duramax in just doesn't make sense on for my truck any level. With that said, 300km and that duramax sounds like the perfect option...

BlackPearl

Hey guys I just got back into town from hunting things went well saw a lot of everything and came home with a freezer full of meat! I didn't get to many pictures, but the gopro was on for the majority of the trip so the pictures will come out of that as soon as I get around to looking at it but until then me and the pearl had a few firsts this week, one of which was the snow!

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94