Snow Tires or Highway Tires for a x-country trip with my Forester

fike

Adventurer
I am getting ready to drive from Maryland to Oregon via the Badlands, Glacier, and Yellowstone and then return home via the California Sierras and Canyonlands in Utah. I am travelling in my 2010 Subaru Forester MT. I have two sets of tires: Goodyear highway passenger tires and a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Should I consider using the Blizzaks for the trip? I know that 95% of my drving will be highway, but I can't help but wonder if the Blizzaks might be better at offroad than a set of Goodyear Assurance Triple tread touring tires.

Thoughts? (and no, I can't buy a new third set of tires for the trip)

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'd go with the highway tires. Number one, are your snow tires studded? Be sure you know the laws in the states you're driving through because they may or may not allow studded tires. Number two, snow tires don't like long stretches of highway with no snow very much.

If you can afford it and since you want offroad performance, why not get a set of ATs? That would be the best of both worlds.

fike

Adventurer
no studs. I can't afford or store ATs right not. there is only really one AT tire (Geolander AT/S) that fits the 17" wheels and that isn't an amazing great tire. Highway performance probably should be my primary concern. You guys are confirming my suspicion that snow tires aren't the best idea for this trip.

Last edited:
Hiway tire only because snow tires are a very soft compound which is what makes them great in the snow. But driving on the hiway will kill them quick. Oh and like someone else said I only put my snow on in december till march other wise they wear far to quick.

fike

Adventurer
November 15 to March 15 for me, but yeah, generally I stick to wintery months for snow tires. Snow tires have abysmal braking performance in rain and dry conditions when compared to all season tires.

zelatore

Explorer
Hiway tire only because snow tires are a very soft compound which is what makes them great in the snow. But driving on the hiway will kill them quick. Oh and like someone else said I only put my snow on in december till march other wise they wear far to quick.

This. True snow-only tires like the Blizzak wouldn't last long on dry pavement at all. It would be like running soft race rubber in terms of tire life. I would bet that one trip would be enough to use them up.

155mm

Adventurer
95% of travel being highway, I vote for sticking with the highway tires. Better performance and better economy.

You should be fine with the AWD and I don't think the snow tires offer enough on this kind of trip at this time of year.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
no studs. I can't afford or store ATs right not. there is only really one AT tire (Geolander AT/S) that fits the 17" wheels and that isn't an amazing great tire. Highway performance probably should be my primary concern. You guys are confirming my suspicion that snow tires aren't the best idea for this trip.

Do you have experience with the Geolandar A/T-S? Surprised because I was very happy with the all-around performance with the two sets I had on my van. What don't you like about them?

I wouldn't run the snow tires in anything but colder, winter (snowy) conditions for which they are designed as the compound is not meant for not the higher road surface temps you'll be seeing.

PhillySMB

The only thing you might need snow tire capability for is an early season snowfall out west in the Sierras, Montana or Washington as sometimes roads are closed to anyone without chains and/or dedicated snow tires + 4WD. But the likelihood of this being an issue is fairly remote. Assuming your highway tires are all season, you'll be fine with your AWD Subie. If you are really paranoid, you could get a two sets of low-profile cable chains as insurance, but I think that would be a waste of space to lug them along. Technically you aren't supposed to use chains with the newer Subarus, but the low-profile ones work in a pinch as long as you put them on all four wheels (otherwise you mess up the AWD system). I've used them on my Subarus over the years (I'm on my sixth Subaru at this point here in Pennsylvania).

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I never had problems with road closures in the snow when I lived in Montana. Closing passes is pretty common but as long as you are staying down in the valleys and on main highways you should be ok, especially if those are school bus routes.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
I am going to be the dissenter here and say run the snow tires. I make a trip about the same time of year, going the other way from Washington to South Dakota to go pheasant hunting, every year. We have been caught out enough times in the Rockies or out on the plains in snow storms, that I always switch to my winter tires just before we leave. It's too early for them here, and it wears them out faster, but the extra security if (when) we get nailed with a blizzard on the highway is worth it.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Your Suby will be fine with the tires you have on it. First thing in winter driving is use your head, that will get you through 99% of the conditions you will experience on that trip. #2 is the AWD of the Forester, which will get you through the 1% of the time that you are not thinking. Unless you live in the mountains and have a sketchball driveway you will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior