Snow Tires or Highway Tires for a x-country trip with my Forester

Bikemobile

Adventurer
When you go shopping for your next set of tires, the general altimax hp in your stock size is a great all season. I used them year round on my outback in Denver with the wet snow they get.

bjowett

Adventurer
If you decide to buy another tire, check out the Nokian WR G3. It's an "all weather", made to run year round, carry's the snowflake symbol even. Last year, I had a set installed on my mother's Lexus RX 350, and can vouch for their being a great all a rounder.... admirable snow performance, technology has caught up with the all season tire.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Snow tires are extremely soft... driving on any gravel road will destroy them very quickly.

-Dan

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
check out the Nokian WR G3. It's an "all weather", made to run year round, carry's the snowflake symbol even

End of story. The WR is the most undervalued tire in the US. I've been running for 10 years. Its the only all season allowed at Team O'Neil rally school's advanced winter driving school. They work extremely well in the snow, wear like iron, quite, and stop great on wet tarmac.

fike

Adventurer
I had wrg2 tires and they ARE excellent, but they are expensive and didn't last much more than 30k miles. Also, as I said in my initial posting, I am not buying new tires for this trip. Hopefully next summer I will upgrade the car to a 2015 model,so buying a new set of tires now is a bit wasteful.

machine1

Explorer
2013 Forester XT owner checking in, you'll be fine on the street radials.

We took a trip to CO last winter for skiing, ran into some snow. The Forester doesn't care what tires are underneath it, it will find traction. Just drive at a reasonable speed and pay attention to the cars in front and around you for anything weird happening on the road surface.

I was on Cooper Discoverer AT3'S though but I don't think it would have made a difference. We had a muddy event last month and the Foresters with radials didn't miss a beat.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ft-Road-Meet-2014-in-North-Texas-event-report

You'll enjoy the 2015, especially if you get one with x-mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior