Why the Glass Roof??? LR3

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
So I'm washing the car this past weekend and I can't help but to wonder what the hell was the thought possess on the Glass roof. It just seem really dumb. You can't open the rear sun roof and that much glass must be a ton on the roof. Plus it turns the truck into a green house in Summer, really some times I think I could baste a turkey in this tuck just by leaving it in the sun all day. It leaches the chemicals out of the Leather seat too and make the truck smell like treated leather and dye. I just don't get it. Anyone know the reason why Land Rover went this way??? Also can you get the non glass roof in North America and have the Glass replaced? I know they came with out it in Europe. It's not that big of a deal to me, I ended up giving this truck to my Wife, but she has complained about it a couple of time.

Nate

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I love glass roofs. Ever since I sat in my first Mercedes with one. Plus there is less waxing of the roof.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
It is Tinted. Replacing the roof is really not a realistic option but I may go pick up some 3M Vinyl and just cover it up.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You can tint it more. Find a good shop that uses the 3M UV blocking stuff and tint it down to like 5 or 10%. It will still have an "open air" feeling on the inside but will really cut out the heat. It would probably cost about 125 bucks to have it done by a pro.

zelatore

Explorer
I didn't even realize mine had it when I bought it, then somebody asked about it. Oh, what do you know...I guess it is glass.

Personally I would just as soon not have it as it's got to be heavy and I don't have passengers back there. Other people who have kids say they really like it. Eh...mine is covered by a roof rack anyway. And sometime this summer I took a rock to it and got a crack. Until it gets worse I don't plan to do anything with it, but I've considered trying to switch to metal when the time comes.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I recently saw one (member is on here) that had a vehicle wrap place to a perforated (tiny holes all over) Union Jack on the top of the glass.
Turns out the glass had a tiny (and I mean tiny) fracture in one corner, and a glass company recommended it.

Turned out to be a really cool look. You could see out almost with no obstruction, but it cut out about all of the sun. Was really nice looking as well.

D

EricTyrrell

Expo God
jurassic-park-sunroof-t-rex.jpg

Should have got the safari roof option..

roverandom

Adventurer
Why a glass roof? Because the LR3 was designed back when weight was quite a long way down the body engineers priority list.

That is part of the reason it weighs nearly 6,000lbs.

zelatore

Explorer
Has anybody actually compared the weigh with glass vs metal? I know glass is heavy, but you'd have to add some reinforcing ribs to the steel panel as well which would add a bit of weight.
Just thinking out loud here.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Glass is definitely heavier in this application. Strength to weight is rarely in favor of ceramics :) Now, they have other trade offs - higher hardness, insulating properties, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier