Has anyone used Delormes Topo 10?

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I am not sure about other states but here Delorme is the big name in maps. They have by far the best paper map of the state. Showing roads that otherwise would only be found on Google Earth if you knew where to look. In addition they tell you where checkpoints are, were roads are impassible, etc.

Almost all of my exploring time is spent on logging roads in the vasts forests here, which is why I use their map. I have really been considering getting there Topo 10 software for my Surface Pro, and using that with a receiver to track and help with trips. The downside of the maps are that a week after it was printed they may have cut in 6 new roads in a 5 mile stretch which can really hinder traveling sometimes.

If anyone has first hand experience with this software I would appreciate hearing about it. Even if it was an older version .

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
I've been using Delorme Topo 9 for several years -

Pros -It's excellent for showing marginal/old/mostly washed away roads in California, Oregon, Nevada and Utah (only areas I've used it). So it's excellent for getting access to remote mine sites and putting together "road" routes across remote areas. That's why it's my first choice...Their online support forums are good.

Cons - The conditions of the many, many "roads" shown are a crap shoot - so it's not something you'd use safely to get from A to B without previous remote country travel experience & common sense AND other maps to cross reference from. I find the software clunky & I have to do a bit of relearning every time I make a map. I do find the interface better than the Nat. Geo topos.

The topo side is excellent so it's a good topo map maker although for trail based backpacking in the Sierras it's just OK as it lacks some human based details like remote campsites, meadow names & such.Moe

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Thank you. The camp site parts are not an issue my map has all of that. It is possible our state is a little more up to date as they are based out of Maine. I am concerned most on the ability for me to lay out a route down logging roads and have the gps portion guide me along that route. Also being able to take random roads and trace a new route on site with the gps function to find my current location

robgendreau

Explorer
Here in the west I've found my Benchmark maps to be easier to read and more up to date than the DeLormes. Unfortunately, cuz I've always liked their stuff.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have been running Topo 9 since it came out, and Topo 8 before that....have not figured a need to upgrade to 10 yet as I am very happy with 9.

I run an Acer One netbook with Topo 9, Oziexplorer and Adobe PDF reader with TerraGo Toolbar.

This gives me USGS Topo maps, Delorme for autorouting and the TerraGo lets me download historic maps for free from the USGS....all three programs run off a USB GPS Puck and I have under $500 in the entire setup including the 12v-19v inverter (better than a big energy sucking 120v).

If you go digital keep the Benchmark series or the Gazetters around as a quick reference and backup though.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I plan to use it on my surface pro. I have a car charger for it as well so that is an extra cost I will not need. How does it do with finding routes to a location you set? There are times I just want to drive down random roads with no plan, this would be my easy way of figuring out where I ended up and how to get back. Or guidance on what roads to take to get from point a to b. All of those roads being old logging roads though. It works well for that?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Delorme would be just fine for you...
If you know the name of where you want to go you can search that, set as destination and start as your location then it will auto-route.
If you are looking at a map and just see something interesting you can click that spot and set as destination and it will auto-route from where you are.
If you just drive it will lay down a track that you can follow backwards or use to figure out another way out to where you want to be.

Very easy to use for what you are asking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94