'83 Suburban Diesel- Pics & Questions

AsphaltCowboy

Normally not my style but I stumbled across a nice 1983 Suburban 6.2 diesel for a deal nobody could pass up. Paid $500 but sold some of the unneeded spare parts it came with for $300 leaving me $200 invested in the burb. I was planning to drive it for a while and re-sell it but am now thinking about putting a little money into it and using it for a new backroads expedition rig.

One of my first projects in suspension. I plan to get all new leaf springs. I don't want to make a lifted monster but right now if I put any kind of weight in it the back sags quite a bit. I wanted to know if I order springs from a 3/4 ton suburban would they match up and also would it lift it at all? I wouldn't mind an extra inch or so along with not sagging. I'm going to get 32" tires. Leaning towards S/T Maxx but not 100% sure yet.

Here are some pics.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Yes, I believe the 3/4 ton springs will fit. I would check with an online store like rockauto.com to confirm as they have the parts break down according to weight capacity model.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Cowboyand nice looking `Burb´you have there. If you look at the front sprinds you will notice that they have a reverse arc to then and probably only 4 leafs in the spring pack. BDS makes a 2 inch leaf that has the arc the proper way and at least 1 exttra leaf, and not to mention a lifetime warranty! I have been running BDS on all my rigs and had never had any problem. 3/4 ton stuff should fit your rig no problem and be a welcome addition. Also, when you need shocks go Bilstein. They will last forever and you will never regret them! Cheers, Chilli...:)

AsphaltCowboy

Yes it does have the reverse arch, I'd have to count the leafs but 4 sounds right. I'll look into the BDS kit.

If I were to buy alll 4 brand new stock 3/4 springs would that lift it at all(other than not sagging under load?)

Rally592

Observer
i really like this rig, especially since i have a soft spot for diesels! i have thought going with 3/4 ton springs also.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
One tip found in these forums is to apply white lithium grease between the springs. It will require disassembly of the spring pack but greatly helps with the operation and squeaking with leaf spring.

AsphaltCowboy

I'm planning on replacing the 6.2 with a turbo 6.5(mechanical). I've done the lube the leafs trick and agree it does quite down and smooth out. I've always liked the way it rides better than with dry springs.

Does anyone have a hub to fender measurement on a stock k10 vs k20 Suburban? I want to get all new springs either way and am thinking new, stock 3/4 ton springs would probably put me where I need to be.

Thanks!

AsphaltCowboy

Does anyone know how much higher(if any) a 3/4ton Suburban sits vs a 1/2ton? Just trying to see what kind of difference I would see with brand new 3/4 springs(front and rear) vs my worn half ton springs.

Thanks!

cyclic

Adventurer
The rear axle is what make the height difference. It's about one inch rear. Spring for front. The front 60 will do the same, if I'm not mistaken. BUT you should have a 10bolt/44 front right now.

skaz

I've owned many 73-87 chevys. ( I've have 2 '76's now ) Generally most 1/2 and 3/4 ton parts can be swapped. In my opinion theses are some of the best and easiest rigs to modify. They are truly the swiss army knife of trucks. Parts even now are still relatively cheap and available and there is outstanding swap-ability between models and years. I've run tons of different suspension set ups over the years. Chevy's like all makes have their quirks but once you figure out what they are, ( reverse arch front springs, steering that doesn't like lifts ect....) they are great. Give the guys at OffRoad Design a call or check out their site. These guys know these trucks inside and out and can walk you through any thing you want to do and their parts are top notch.

By the way great score on the Burb'. Out here on the east coast that thing would bring 8x what you paid for it, if not just for the body. Got to love road salt.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke