Helinx Cot One: Comparison of 3 light cots

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
This is an incomplete review of three cots as I only purchased the first two. First the specs:

1) HELINOX COT ONE
$300
4 lbs 4 oz
6 x 26.5 x 72
5 parts plus fabric

2) TRAVEL CHAIR SLEEP RITE

$198
6 lbs 4 oz (weighed by post office)
6 x 30 x 78
8 parts plus fabric

3) THERMAREST LUXURY LITE SIZE LARGE
$240
3lbs 6 oz
24 x 74 (no height given, but it’s low)
30 parts plus fabric (That’s not a typo.)

WHY A COT? I find that a cot with a mattress can be up to twice as comfortable as a mattress alone, because of the feeling of being suspended. This is especially helpful for people with joint problems. A cot makes imperfections in the ground under you irrelevant. And you can store things under a cot.

WHY A LIGHT COT?
The ultimate in car camping luxury is the Camptime Roll-a-Cot with the Exped Mega Mat. Together they weigh 16 lbs, they’re bulky, and the cot is difficult to assemble. You could cut that weight in half with a lighter cot and mattress. Sometimes I like to pack lighter and simpler even for car camping. I was also hoping to use a cot for kayak camping. Maybe you’re looking for a compact cot for motorcycle camping.

One difference between a standard cot and a lightweight cot is the height. The Camptime Roll-a-Cot is 15” high while the above cots are 6” or less. It’s much easier to get on and off a taller cot, but I was surprised to find that even 6” high makes it easier to sit sideways and change your clothes.

PRICE:
Are these cots worth their very high price? As a frugal person I say no. $300 is a scandalous price for a camping cot. But as an avid camper and an older person with arthritis, I was tempted to try these products. What is a good night of sleep worth to you?

All of these cots claim to support 300–325 lbs. But how do they really stack up?

HOW THEY COMPARE:
First I would cross the Travel Chair Sleep Rite off your list due to problems with its design, comfort, and assembly. The design does not support weight well and it feels unstable. After just 15 minutes of trying this cot at home the seams were already pulling apart from the tension on the fabric (I am more than 100 lbs under the weight limit). The fabric is very noisy each time you move. The legs need to be folded in an elaborate pattern to get the parts to line up correctly and get them back in the bag. This cot doesn’t have any advantages over other cots on the market.

I didn’t buy the Thermarest Luxury Lite because the reviews mention problems with the assembly (it has a whopping 30 parts that need to be assembled) and the durability. The Thermarest website says you can’t break the cot because you will bottom out before it breaks, an indication that it doesn’t support weight well. Reviewers complain about broken parts.

That leaves the Helinox Cot One, which I bought from LL Bean for $270 using their current web special––10% off plus a $10 gift card. It’s just 14 oz heavier than the Thermarest Luxury Lite and is far more stable, durable, comfortable, and easier to assemble than either the Luxury Lite or the Sleep Rite. Those 14 oz. are only meaningful to a backpacker.

Assembling the Cot One is very intuitive and fast––about two minutes. Breaking it down and putting it back in the bag takes one minute.

The Helinox Cot One is very strong––the side poles don’t bend under pressure. The top surface is very taught. When you move around the cot doesn’t move, and it’s noiseless. The design of the locking mechanism on the legs that provides tension to the fabric is very smart and works perfectly. It takes moderate pressure to lock it and minimal pressure to unlock. Getting on and off the cot I felt like it could easily support my weight with no fear of breaking it.

I tried the Helinox Cot One with the REI Campbed 3.5 and the Exped Synmat 7. Both were excellent. Five minutes on this cot and you’re convinced that you would be comfortable for a whole night.

I don’t think I’ll use the Cot One for kayak camping. It’s the size and weight of a two-person tent, and space is precious in a kayak. You could pack the poles and the legs separately to use hatch space more efficiently. It should fit well in a canoe.

BOTTOM LINE: I give the Helinox Cot One 5 stars for comfort, design, and ease of use. But is it worth $300? To my knowledge it’s the best cot on the market under 6 lbs. It’s also the most expensive. I guess things are worth the value that they have for us. I may keep the Cot One because it will fulfill my goal of packing lighter for car camping. It’s a sinful price, but as I get older I want to spend more time enjoying beautiful places and less time wrestling with gear. What about you?

Kcdude

Adventurer
Nice writeup....too bad then don't make a XL size that will fit a 78"x25" bag and pad.

Last edited:

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Nice writeup....too bad then don't make a XL size that will fit a 78"x25" bag and pad.

If you're a side sleeper wouldn't 72" be long enough for you? How tall are you? There's no harm in letting the mattress hang over 3" on each end. Just don't let the alligators get your toes.

Honu

lost on the mainland
awesome write up
agree on letting the 78 hang over a bit :)
also glad they made the helinox wide enough for a 25 inch pad

that helinox looks slick for sure :) and for pure weight and size I would have gotten them if they were out :)
they did not have those out when we got our cots from Alps lightweight cot as they call it

I did have a camp time roll a cot and expel megamat but the problem was both were 30 inches and the pad did not sit level it kept trying to fit between the two aluminum support bars and would slip to a angle !!!!

recently moved to hammocks though :) and found them way more comfy than any cot mattress setup :)

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I did have a camp time roll a cot and exped megamat but the problem was both were 30 inches and the pad did not sit level it kept trying to fit between the two aluminum support bars and would slip to a angle !!!!

recently moved to hammocks though :) and found them way more comfy than any cot mattress setup :)

I had the same problem with the Roll-a-Cot and the Mega Mat but I finally got used to it and made it work.

What do you think of the price of the Cot One? I haven't decided whether I will keep it.

Question about hammocks: How do they work for a side sleeper, or a person who needs to lie straight?

Honu

lost on the mainland
great forum for hammocks
www.hammockforums.net

on the price of the cot one ? tough I don't mind paying $ for nice things why I have some SP stuff but also retro fitted the partner steel stove so prefer quality function
also have the helinox chairs and IMHO they are a awesome company that makes nice light stuff
considering a insulated titanium mug is $50 :) the cots are cheap in some ways
I would like to see them about $200 ? but not in the market for new cots these days so on sale some discounts for me I again have been on a size weight thing to get that down
less to unload and load and setup is easier on me living %100 out of the rig is not possible ? are old trailer I could but tired of towing trailers in some ways and again wear tear mileage on the vehicle etc... for me its about pack small play big kinda thing and with that comes $$$$ for nice things that pack small like the cot one !

hammocks like Dream Hammocks or Warbonnet seem to run about $200 or so kinda in that same range and can go up a bit also insulation using under quilts seems to be the way to go ?

I am new to hammock camping but used hammocks in the islands and when I lived in Honduras but there the temps were so mild and I was inside often so it was my bed in a room camping ones are different of course again insulation needs are different

I am %100 sold on them I am 51 got to loose about 40 lbs :) but I have a bad back from broken bones and accidents and stuff that finally caught up with me
I slept better in hammocks camping now than in my really nice custom latex bed ! and that bad has been the best bed I have ever had

you can when properly setup lie on your side its again all about proper setup and a good hammock I truly was WOW getting up camping feeling %100 awesome from the morning was something I have not had since I was in my late 20s early 30s
as far as lying straight not a problem and you lie flat I would say check out the forum and read a few things there
but basically you lay diagonal with about %30 angle on the lines to get some nice slack but not to much and things will lie flat !
there are also bridge hammocks that are good like the warbonnet Ridge Runner where you can get flat without diagonal lay

again I am so sold I am going to make a setup for when there are no trees
my 2 kids and wife also love it and are sold on the hammocks over the ground now :)

perkj

Explorer
campsaver.com currently has the Helinox Cot One on sale for $225 and free shipping: http://www.campsaver.com/helinox-camp-cot

I had a 5% off coupon as well and got the price down to $213 :) Too good a deal to pass up

UPDATED - here is the 5% coupon code that still appears to be working: cart-5849

Last edited:

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
campsaver.com currently have the Helinox Cot One on sale for $225 and free shipping: http://www.campsaver.com/helinox-camp-cot

I had a 5% off coupon as well and got the price down to $213 :) Too good a deal to pass up

UPDATED - here is the 5% coupon code that still appears to be working: cart-5849

Holy moly Sylvia Pajoli, that's what I call a hot tip, Perkj. After a discussion with LL Bean I placed an order with Campsaver. Yes, the coupon worked as of a few minutes ago. My guilt just went down about the price but of course went up about returning the cot to Bean's. I've spent quite a bit at Bean's over the last 40 years though.

THANK YOU, PERKJ!!!

Anybody else going to take advantage of this sale? I've been watching this cot for a few months and didn't see a single sale.

I tried to post a 5-star review of this cot at Bean's. It was rejected because my last line was, "I give this cot 5 stars for comfort and quality and one star for affordability." I was told that the reviews are handled by an outside organization. Very disappointed that my review was not read by Leon Leonwood Bean.

perkj

Explorer
THANK YOU, PERKJ!!!

Anybody else going to take advantage of this sale? I've been watching this cot for a few months and didn't see a single sale.

Glad I could help! Like you I have been watching for this to go on sale for a while. I ended up getting a second after thinking some more and realizing what a fantastic deal it is. My brother ended up ordering two as well.

They have a great deal on the chairs as well....and the extra 5% makes that deal even better too

Honu

lost on the mainland
very good deal on those :)
report back for sure :)

for sure great deal on the chairs which we love !!! if you get a chair get some golf balls drill 1/2 inch hole 2/3 the way into them and replace the stock feet :) also I had posted for a head rest mod that works and makes them super comfy :) rumor was a tall back version is coming ? but till then my head rest mod again comfy so comfy when building testing I actually fell asleep in them !!!! and did not fall over tip over anything and my head stayed supported

I love there products

zelatore

Explorer
I'm fairly new to the cot world, so last year I bought a couple of inexpensive 'military style' cots from Cabella's. I can't say the name, but I'm sure you've seen the type as everybody has them. About $50 ea as I recall. Solid and comfortable, but very heavy. I do like the height (about 16" or there about) as it makes it easy to sit on the thing and pull on your boots and it gives me storage room under the cot at night.
I'm curious how the light-weight cots stack up against these traditional 'old school' steel cots. I don't know if I can stomach the cost for truck camping, but then again I'm starting to be more weight conscious even in my bloated LR3.

Something like this (only mine is a generic they happened to have on sale in the store that day)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...=SBC;MMcat104795280;cat104267880;cat104280480

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Nice write-up.

I didn’t buy the Thermarest Luxury Lite because the reviews mention problems with the assembly (it has a whopping 30 parts that need to be assembled) and the durability. The Thermarest website says you can’t break the cot because you will bottom out before it breaks, an indication that it doesn’t support weight well. Reviewers complain about broken parts.

I use the LuxuryLite and with all 30 parts (you don't have to use all cross bars) I'm usually setup before my friends have blown up their Thermarest pads. I'm lucky that I'm short 5'6.5 and only around 160lbs so side sleeping is not a problem for me, and I can use less hardware to set it up. I'm going to guess that people reporting broken pieces are doing it wrong. I've had no such issues.

Helinox Cot One looks real nice, but for my personal use on the Motorcycle it's just way too big. For car camping it would be great. The LuxuryLite packs down as small or smaller than a standard size inflatable pad. It fits in my pannier or any other small bag I might be using.

For solo car camping I use a full size Coleman army type cot.. Again, I assume it's my smaller body type, but I have no problem side sleeping on it.

Honu

lost on the mainland
depends how big of tent and if you have kids etc... ?

I had the camp time roll cot setup which had pros with height the downside was lots of wasted space in the tent by the time you get in with your kids etc... you had to get a bigger tent than needed ?
wasted space in can't get as close to most tent walls so there is a big gap of space there the low cots can gain back that space

I still use a pad with the cots of course comfort wise is sweet but for insulation you of course need a insulating pad of some kind !!!! so a 3-4 inch insulated air pad on a cot is very very comfy but not as comfy as I am finding nice hammocks now :)

the height for sure takes a bit more to get out of a low one for some but not a big deal as far as comfort my alps which are super low are just as comfy when sleeping as the military style in some ways more comfy I think cause the head does not have the bar :) most comfy cot we bought and tried was the huge bunk o cot setups those were comfy !!!! also 32lbs each I liked the bunk idea though in a kodiak tent was awesome floor savings but again weight was a lot

my thing and its just some of us that want lighter gear maybe ? its the loading at home then the unloading at camp setting up then the loading again at camp and the unloading at home and if you have 4 of them ? and the space etc...

I'm fairly new to the cot world, so last year I bought a couple of inexpensive 'military style' cots from Cabella's. I can't say the name, but I'm sure you've seen the type as everybody has them. About $50 ea as I recall. Solid and comfortable, but very heavy. I do like the height (about 16" or there about) as it makes it easy to sit on the thing and pull on your boots and it gives me storage room under the cot at night.
I'm curious how the light-weight cots stack up against these traditional 'old school' steel cots. I don't know if I can stomach the cost for truck camping, but then again I'm starting to be more weight conscious even in my bloated LR3.

Something like this (only mine is a generic they happened to have on sale in the store that day)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...=SBC;MMcat104795280;cat104267880;cat104280480

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
my thing and its just some of us that want lighter gear maybe ? its the loading at home then the unloading at camp setting up then the loading again at camp and the unloading at home and if you have 4 of them ? and the space etc...

This is what has worn me down over the years, as well as gear storage. For maximum comfort I have a Kelty Trail Ridge 4 tent, large cot, and large mattress. The Helinox Cot, Trail Ridge 3, and a smaller mattress weigh half as much and take up half the space in the car. I also get tired of planning meals and preparing food so sometimes I eat simple cold meals. What I really want to do is bike, hike, kayak, and sit in a chair by the fire and read, not be constantly messing around with gear. The logistics of camping can be exhausting and caotic. I may be ready to simplify camping, and the rest of my life too, come to think of it.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer

Some people complain about the cross bars on "old school" steel cots. Clearly you have the advantage of height. I'm really impressed with the comfort and sturdiness of the Helinox Cot One, pretty amazing for such a light little thing. The main advantages of this cot compared to yours would be light weight, compact size, and quick setup. The main disadvantage would be the low height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online