Sand filter

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It would appear that it was not only me that was interested in the sand filter that Bandicoot was using in his water filtration setup.
Apparently this specific filter is no longer available. Sigh.....

sand filter pic 1.JPG sand filter pic 2.JPG

Rather than hijack that thread, I will start a new one, as I received a tip from another member on an alternative filter to the one shown above.
I found out that these filters are better known as "sand spear filters", and a Google search will find you a few variations of the concept, including some modified, home made versions.

In Australia there is a company called Glind that sells one of these, that according to the reviews I read seems good.

sand filter pic 3.JPG

Should anyone be interested, you can find them here...

Gatsma

Adventurer
It appears that, comparing the two, the "new" one lacks only the outer shell, which may or may not be necessary, but would not be too hard to fab something like it.
Checked out the tagged site, and while it's not inexpensive, can be a necessity, which makes it worth it fairly quickly!
It's nice to know there's something like this still around.

Rockhounder

Explorer
You can take a flexible coupling and do the same thing. In fact, that filter looks EXACTLY like the flexible couplings/shock absorbing couplings that we use on our CNC machine XYZ actuator shaft linkages, and commonly used in other mechanical driveshaft applications. Most I have seen have the center hole arounf 1/4 to 1/2 inch, but I have seen ones at Luky's hardware store (nuts and bolts surplus shop) in Burbank CA. Just block off one end, and attach a pipe into the other end, and for a couple of bucks, voila.... instant sand filter :)

I just googled "flexible metal coupling" and came up with tons of links and pictures

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You can take a flexible coupling and do the same thing.

I am not sure that this is true.
The sand filter uses specific V-wire which has a very close slot tolerance. A flexible coupling on the other hand is just a stainless steel braid.

Rockhounder

Explorer
I am not sure that this is true.
The sand filter uses specific V-wire which has a very close slot tolerance. A flexible coupling on the other hand is just a stainless steel braid.

I am not referring to steel braid, instead I am referring to the exact same manufacturing method used to create the sand filter. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the sand filter inventor did not first use a flex coupling (which starts out life as a solid aluminum or steel rod, which is then center bored to accept the shaft, then rotationally sliced to create the spring flexion aspect), then think "Aha!" I can solder a tube fitting, and sell these...

Bandicoot

Adventurer
I use my sand filter all the time, even when there is no "sand", simply as a weight on the suction line. I once tried the typical irrigation PE "filters" but these tend to float which is a PITA. If you want to siphon water up into a tank, even if there is no risk from sediment, you really want the pickup at the end of the hose to go immediately to, and then remain at, the bottom of the bucket etc.
rick

R Thomas

Observer
The V shaped wire is also used on well screen for submersible pumps. They are for similar purposes also.

Military water purification setups also use a version. Military units will use a trash pump to push water out of the sand filter, allowing an individual to sink the sand filter in the beach sand. The wire screen prevents the beach sand from entering the feed line and the beach sand prevents debris from entering. Think of the sand filter on your pool. The water can then be pushed through reverse osmosis membranes for potable water consumption .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles