Battery, or something worse

GORM

Adventurer
I recently acquired an LR3 and got by the truck sinking overnight by removing and cleaning out the front air block. :)

Now I have an electrical problem.

Was setting up home link so was performing this activity with AC on plus radio. This operation took me less than 5 minutes. When I went to start the rover I only got clicking sounds, no turnover. I let rover sit and multiple times same thing. Jumped the car from my wife's truck and as I went for drive all the warning lights came on and when off. The NAV system kept coming on, I would shut off display and it would come back on. I drove around for a few minutes, returned home and wheniI turned off truck it died. No clicking sound, no power in car at all. Rover jumped again with no issue and it is running.

Thoughts? This is an 2008 and the battery looks like it could be an original, if that is possible.

Thanks
Kent

GORM

Adventurer
More info: duplicated all of the above. 1st fault was HDC as I was starting to drive and then the parking brake. OECD up to speed, everything seemed ok though the NAV kept going back to the restart Land Rover screen. Once I turned off the truck, it would not turn back on.

umbertob

Adventurer
A 2008 with original battery? I am amazed it lasted that long, if it is. Definitely sounds like a spent battery (but get the alternator checked as well.)

GORM

Adventurer
Thanks. The airbag light came on and has stayed on since the truck originally died. I'm chalking the warning light mayhem up to the electrical issue.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The faults you are seeing are consistent with low voltage faults. These vehicles are very sensitive to low voltage conditions. Not really recommended to let it sit with the key on and accessories running for very long (despite the huge size of the battery).

Start with replacing the batt... Interstate makes a nice one that size... and chances are 95%+ you will be okay.

I have not personally seen an alternator fail on one of these trucks. Not saying its impossible but it is probably not likely.

Campndad

Essayons!!
u3e4unag.jpg

This is one of two alternators i have seen fail, directly related to water. Have them check the alternator, but i bet its just the battery. I have replaced 2 since my original.

adelatoa

Adventurer
Make sure that your battery is powered at 14 volts if you got any codes. I got my DII on disable mode and it would not go out of it until I was able to get a new battery to hold the charge of 14 volts. The new digital chargers cut off at 12.5 volts or so. you need an analog charger to get it above the 12 volts.

GORM

Adventurer
Needed battery (adv gold diehard, largest they had) and alternator and starter were ok. Air bag light on so I guess I must try over charging battery to 14v? I'll see what happens when I can get the truck up to speed for extended period of time. Battery replacement occurred only 2 blocks from work.

Thanks all

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The 14V thing is not accurate.

What he means is that the vehicle demands 14V while it's running in order for all systems to operate correctly without storing faults. Overcharging the battery will not clear faults.

Disconnect the positive battery terminal, and bridge a jumper wire between the disconnected + cable and the - cable. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove jumper wire, reconnect + cable to battery. This is called a hard reset, it clears the memory from all modules in the vehicle and will clear most faults.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles