Making my choice: 1995 SR or 2002 Limited

parobellum

Well, I think I have read all the threads. I am torn though - sub 100K 1995 SR, well maintained or a 150K 2001 Limited - both about the same price, neither modified. I have 5 kids (ages 4-11) and I want to use this for some trail riding, camping, taking the kayaks places and snow duties during an annual 500 mile trip to the NE in winter.

I was so set on a 95 SR, I think from becoming enamored/obsessed with some of the builds here. But the practicalities of the 2001 speak to me as well. It seems that with the Gen III Limited I will get most of the off road capability of the 95 SR, or at least as much as I will ever need.

Does snow change the equation?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'm fairly sure the Gen. III has more cabin room than the Gen. II.
With five children and gear, perhaps the 2001 is better suited for your needs.
Both rigs work great in snow with capable tires.
I've never tried to fit five kids and two adults, plus overland gear into a Gen. II or III... either way, it sounds tight.
I travel with two children, two adults, and one big dog...and we max out the Gen. III on trips that are over seven days.
Space seems like it's the biggest issue you are facing, both rigs are very capable, as you know.
Good Luck.

plh

Explorer
I've never tried to fit five kids and two adults, plus overland gear into a Gen. II or III

That would for sure be tight!

I have all 3 Gens. In my opinion the Gen 3 sounds like it would fit you best but not optimal. Remember there isn't a whole lot of room in the 3rd row in any of them.

7 people - Expedition or Full size van 4x4 conversion?

Last edited:

Worshington

Observer
With a seven person family I think even the Gen III would be a very tight squeeze. Have you considered a Sequoia, Armada, or Tahoe. The Monty will hardly swallow any gear if the third seat is being used.

Superu

Explorer
I've owned and loved a 95 SR, but honestly cannot imagine a 500 mile trip with 7 in it or even an 01.

Our family of 5 handily loads up our 03 Suburban. For limited trail riding and the duties you've described, I would very seriously consider a larger vehicle than the Monty. Remember, you need room for gear along with people unless you are hauling a trailer.

Good luck.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The family I bought my 98 Montero from had picked up a Tahoe to replace it because they needed more room, and they only had 4 children.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94