2014 Granite Rubicon Unlimited JK350 Expedition Build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
how is it on gas, worse than the 3.8? I figure it would be better because of less weight than the truck.

west_ok

Adventurer
Any Pentastar owners out there I have a question. Are you happy with your 3.6 or is it still lacking for more power? Tossing around the Hemi swap.

B.J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Any Pentastar owners out there I have a question. Are you happy with your 3.6 or is it still lacking for more power? Tossing around the Hemi swap.

B.J.

Mine has been pretty good. Almost 40k miles on my 13 since I got it new in August of 12. Occasionally I would like more power, but I think doing gears will solve that. I'm running 35s with 3.73s on a manual.

GetOutThere

Adventurer

B.J.

I have never felt the need for more, but I'm also running stock with 4.10s.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have never felt the need for more, but I'm also running stock with 4.10s.

Same here, stock 255/75 R17 KMs, and 4.10 with auto. It's pretty quick out of the hole, and cruises right along in overdrive, no matter the head wind.
Since you have the Hemi already, it will be awesome input to get your thoughts between the two. :beer:

How much longer before it's south bound?
Front bumper & winch looks great. Looks like the winch sits lower than it does in the 10X/X/HR front bumper. That's helpful to keep air flow going through the radiators. Plus I think the AEV bumper just looks killer.
Are you getting the rear bumper with the water tanks? That is something I wished they'd carried over to the 10X/X/HR. Really like the idea of 5+gallons of shower water mounted down low.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I too have the 3.6 with 4.10s. It's obviously no race car, but I think it has plenty of power. Cruises very comfortably at 80 plus and with the lower gears, it has some giddy up. Although if a Hemi is your measuring stick, you might have a very different opinion. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your rig.

west_ok

Adventurer
Same here, stock 255/75 R17 KMs, and 4.10 with auto. It's pretty quick out of the hole, and cruises right along in overdrive, no matter the head wind.
Since you have the Hemi already, it will be awesome input to get your thoughts between the two. :beer:

How much longer before it's south bound?
Front bumper & winch looks great. Looks like the winch sits lower than it does in the 10X/X/HR front bumper. That's helpful to keep air flow going through the radiators. Plus I think the AEV bumper just looks killer.
Are you getting the rear bumper with the water tanks? That is something I wished they'd carried over to the 10X/X/HR. Really like the idea of 5+gallons of shower water mounted down low.

Yeah, I got the rear bumper with the water tank. I've got it on my current rig and love it. Seem like a really good use of otherwise wasted space. It's actually finished if I'm not doing the Hemi swap. Have to make up my mind tonight.

B.J.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
If you are going to pull the trailer through the mountains, and can get the VVT Hemi, to me it's a no brainer. But if they don't do the VVT, and you've got the gears, that would cause me a pause. I tend to drive at a slower pace when possible. So sitting on cruise control a mile or two per hour under the big rigs, is a very comfortable pace with a trailer.
I would probably want a V8 if expecting to pull a trailer comfortably at 70+. I don't like to work something to death. The V8 will lope along happy as a clam at that speed with a trailer. Uphill, downhill, it really doesn't care.
Not sure I could settle for the V6 in that situation.

west_ok

Adventurer
If you are going to pull the trailer through the mountains, and can get the VVT Hemi, to me it's a no brainer. But if they don't do the VVT, and you've got the gears, that would cause me a pause. I tend to drive at a slower pace when possible. So sitting on cruise control a mile or two per hour under the big rigs, is a very comfortable pace with a trailer.
I would probably want a V8 if expecting to pull a trailer comfortably at 70+. I don't like to work something to death. The V8 will lope along happy as a clam at that speed with a trailer. Uphill, downhill, it really doesn't care.
Not sure I could settle for the V6 in that situation.

Well after much debate I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 5.7 VVT only bad thing is It'll probably take a month to finish up.

B.J.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sweet! This will definitely be worth the wait...

Is it done yet. :D
Hope they keep sending you update pictures. Would be cool to follow along with the swap.
I was thinking about this last night, and more this morning. Given the same circumstances, I'd have done the same thing.
Get's back to that whole compromise thing. My grandpa always said, only the rich can afford to buy cheap. The rest of us should always buy the best we can afford, and take good care of it.
A piece of advice that has served me well when followed, and smacked me upside the head when ignored.
Great move! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke