2014 Granite Rubicon Unlimited JK350 Expedition Build

Jurfie

Adventurer
Good! Curious as to your real-world mpgs. This thread has me thinking about buying an older (and cheap) 3.8 JKU and having a swap done. $25-30k for a Hemi swap + $10-15k for a pre-2012 JKU and you've got a pretty sweet platform to build up for the price of a new Rubicon at twice the fun.

west_ok

Adventurer
Good! Curious as to your real-world mpgs. This thread has me thinking about buying an older (and cheap) 3.8 JKU and having a swap done. $25-30k for a Hemi swap + $10-15k for a pre-2012 JKU and you've got a pretty sweet platform to build up for the price of a new Rubicon at twice the fun.

That sounds like a good plan Jurfie.

Well, chalk up the first disappointment , MPGs so far are not what I had hoped. Took a short road trip to watch my niece & nephew play basketball. On the way there with a pretty good crosswind cruise set at around 77 avg 10.5 MPG on the way back with not much wind cruise same did a little better 12.5 MPG interstate the whole way. Just using the computer not verified. I was really hoping to be 14+ I guess if I'd slow down I'd be better off. Other than that it drives great.

Sweet ride!

I just did! That's one sexy beast!

Thanks guys! Lol

B.J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jurfie

Adventurer
On the way there with a pretty good crosswind cruise set at around 77 avg 10.5 MPG on the way back with not much wind cruise same did a little better 12.5 MPG interstate the whole way. Just using the computer not verified. I was really hoping to be 14+ I guess if I'd slow down I'd be better off.

Hmm. There *is* a break-in period, so it should get a little better...I was quite surprised by the mpgs I initially got with the 3.6L. What gearing do you have? Presumably AEV upgrades to taller gears to better match the HEMI & 35s?

west_ok

Adventurer
Hmm. There *is* a break-in period, so it should get a little better...I was quite surprised by the mpgs I initially got with the 3.6L. What gearing do you have? Presumably AEV upgrades to taller gears to better match the HEMI & 35s?

I figured they would also. But they don't recommend it unless you are jumping up to 37"s. So I still have the 4.10's. Hopefully it will get better as it breaks in.

What are you guys getting with 35" tires and the Pentastar? Regeared? Auto? Thanks

B.J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r3run33

Adventurer
hello hey any recommendations on engines etc why you went with the 5.7etc how do you like the conversion so far?? Going to go with a turn key from AEV rather then giving them the vehicle to modify. How is the lift etc. thanks

west_ok

Adventurer
hello hey any recommendations on engines etc why you went with the 5.7etc how do you like the conversion so far?? Going to go with a turn key from AEV rather then giving them the vehicle to modify. How is the lift etc. thanks

For me the 5.7 just made more sense. Because of how I plan to use it. It is mainly going to be an over landing rig, heavy, pulling a trailer most of the time for camping trips and vacations to the mountains other than that just driving around town. The 6.4 would be a blast to drive but I don't like the fact you have to run high octane in it. And for me I didn't really see that the extra power would really be necessary for what I am using it for. It would be fun but the 5.7 is no dog! As for the conversion I love it. I wish the mileage was a little better but I don't suspect it's much worse than the Pentastar would have been outfitted the same. As for the lift and how it drives I couldn't be any happier. Turnkey or finding what you want thru an AEV dealer is probably the be$t way to go. Let me know if I can be anymore help & good luck with your decision let us know what you decide!

r3run33

Adventurer
thanks a bunch for the feedback; no AEV in stock near me (philadelphia area) going to do a little road trip this weekend to a dealership that has a few but they are all penstar.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey B.J. Just for a point of reference, for the first 1,000 miles of "break-in", I was averaging about 13-1/2 mpg. That's with 4.10 gears, auto and the stock 32-ish tires, doing a true "break-in" style of driving/resting.
Add 35's and I'd be willing to bet our mileage would have been mirrored. Gut feeling is both our rigs will do better with some mileage.

Glad to read you are digging it. :beer:

Jurfie

Adventurer

Yeah, I'm quoting myself. Just wanted to note that I received a quote for a turn-key, new (crate) engine and transmission, 5.7L VVT truck HEMI swap, and it is significantly less than the $25-30k I guesstimated. 2-week turnaround.

Dang it...now I've got to convince the wife that this is a good idea. :smiley_drive: (sorry about the threadjack).

west_ok

Adventurer
thanks a bunch for the feedback; no AEV in stock near me (philadelphia area) going to do a little road trip this weekend to a dealership that has a few but they are all penstar.

Hope you find you one!

Hey B.J. Just for a point of reference, for the first 1,000 miles of "break-in", I was averaging about 13-1/2 mpg. That's with 4.10 gears, auto and the stock 32-ish tires, doing a true "break-in" style of driving/resting.
Add 35's and I'd be willing to bet our mileage would have been mirrored. Gut feeling is both our rigs will do better with some mileage.

Glad to read you are digging it. :beer:

Thanks Scott that makes me feel a little better.

Yeah, I'm quoting myself. Just wanted to note that I received a quote for a turn-key, new (crate) engine and transmission, 5.7L VVT truck HEMI swap, and it is significantly less than the $25-30k I guesstimated. 2-week turnaround.

Dang it...now I've got to convince the wife that this is a good idea. :smiley_drive: (sorry about the threadjack).

Yeah, you can use AEV's "build and price" on their website and it is spot on with what they actually charge. Only thing to take into consideration is freight to and from or tax if you pick it up or drop it off. If you decide to ship it I wouldn't use AEV to find the carrier. No worries on the thread jack!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey B.J.,

Hope all is going well, and you are getting some "play time".
I have a question if you don't mind, that came up in Klaus' build thread on Bruce.
I've *read* in a number of threads over different boards that the AEV lift is harsh. Don't know if this is just a bunch of people without first hand knowledge parroting others, or if this is really true, and to what degree.
What is your opinion on this?
Thank you Sir! Really appreciate your input.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94