2014/15 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk vs 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition

Blind_Io

Adventurer
That was an issue for the early 2000s Tacoma's, which were force-recalled by the NHTSA. Toyota had to replace the frames or buy the trucks back, but there are still some out there that did not get the work done.

I have much more confidence in the current Toyota truck line (excluding the problem-plagued FJ Cruiser) than the ones from the 2000-2010 era. I do agree that they are overvalued for what they are, especially on the used market.

I have a family member with a 4Runner Trail and it is a very nice vehicle and quite capable out of the box. If I had to replace my XTerra, or if I outgrow it, the 4Runner Trail would be on my short list of vehicles to consider. I just wish it had fewer computerized farkles and was available in a stick.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Even though I run a Ford Dealership, we own five Jeep dealerships and they are seeing all kinds of electrical issues already, and the trans is a nightmare.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Does this seem like the usual first-model-year bugs, or does it seem like these are deeper design and/or quality issues?

luk4mud

Explorer
I owned a 2008 Jeep GC. Never took it offroad but it was one of the most comfortable highway cruisers I have ever had. I would consider buying the new GC diesel for the same role.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Just so he doesn't get flamed for this....I have heard about this from other people. Wasn't there a recall on rusted frames in 07 or 08?

I still vote T4R

There has been recalls for the tacomas and tundras for rusting chasis. I know of two in my small town of about 20 tundras who had their chasis rusted out and the local dealer had about 50 tacomas as a big rust graveyard. NO THANKS. keep the Japscrap and drive a real vehicle.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
keep the Japscrap and drive a real vehicle.

Really? Please don't let your love of a certain brand impair your judgement. They're just vehicles and should not become personifications of who you are. As a long time owner of both Toyotas and Jeeps and having lived in the winter wonderland of the Pennsylvanian Rust Belt, both brands have had their issues as well as every other brand of vehicle ever made. It is a certified fact that Jeeps of all models are notorious for rusted body panels, rotted out frames and the general quick fall to the entropy of the universe. The backyards, junk yards and auto salvage yards are literally cover in the rusted out husks of once proud Jeep iron. That is why solid Jeeps are hard to find and are priced high accordingly. Toyotas too have had their issues but such is the way when chemistry and physics have their way with your ride no matter what the brand. In the end salt wins, steel rusts and all brands are subject to its sodium based wiles. Your pronouncement is silly at the least, grievously ill informed at the worst.

fike

Adventurer
I think the cherokee makes a better compromise as a daily driver. The Trailhawk will do some pretty crazy stuff, while towing a fairly large trailer, so you could definitely do an off-road trailer for expeditions. I don't like to run really big tires, so the cherokee is fine for me, but here is unlikely to be much or any lift kits for it. As for electronics, I'd be okay with those gadgets. There's nothing wrong with solid state electronics.

CF1973

I think the cherokee makes a better compromise as a daily driver. The Trailhawk will do some pretty crazy stuff, while towing a fairly large trailer, so you could definitely do an off-road trailer for expeditions. I don't like to run really big tires, so the cherokee is fine for me, but here is unlikely to be much or any lift kits for it. As for electronics, I'd be okay with those gadgets. There's nothing wrong with solid state electronics.

That is one of the issues I'm not sure of. Can the Cherokee haul 1 week's worth of food and water for 2 people along with camping equipment and recovery gear? I don't want to use a trailer in this case. Would we be packing very light to make it work?

fike

Adventurer
That is one of the issues I'm not sure of. Can the Cherokee haul 1 week's worth of food and water for 2 people along with camping equipment and recovery gear? I don't want to use a trailer in this case. Would we be packing very light to make it work?

You'll need a roof box or rack. Otherwise, it will be car-camping just a little better than backpacking style.

zelatore

Explorer

Depends on how you pack. I can fill up my LR3 for a week-long trip for 2 if I get crazy. Or I can fit everything in a couple of backpacks. Somewhere in between is where most of us will fall. I'd say you should have no problem getting a week's worth of gear for 2 in the Jeep. Heck, guys do it all the time in Wranglers (and not those weird ones that have too many doors).

I'm not a Toyota fan, but I have to admit the 4-runner is a significant step up from the Cherokee. But one thing nobody is mentioning is price. What's the delta there? $7500 maybe? That's a lot of coin to spend on gas, gear, etc.

I don't agree with the idea that the Rav4 is comparable to the Trailhawk. Maybe...MAYBE...with the base model Cherokee. Maybe a better comparison would be the Xterra? Cheaper/smaller than the 4-runner, but still bigger than the Cherokee.

zelatore

Explorer
Just checked out the base price for each rig.
Trailhawk starts at $29,600
4Runner Trail starts at $38,800 ($41,200 if you want the premium...whatever that gets you)
So you've got over $9000 in price difference. That's a heck of a lot, and another reason why nobody is likely to cross-shop these two.
For s&g, the Xterra Pro4X starts at $30,600. So it's right there with the Jeep price-wise. Plus it's more likely you'll find somebody to deal on the Nissan compared to the new-launch Jeep or the high-and-mighty Toyota.

So I vote option C - Nissan Xterra Pro4X.

mdmead

Adventurer
Reliability and issues with the new Cherokee aside, I'd be interested in knowing what you need for a vehicle after the trip is over? While the Toyota is hands-down a better off-roader, the Cherokee might be friendlier to live with the rest of the time. Personally, I'm intrigued by the new Cherokee; it would suit me 98% of the time. (The comments regarding problems with the new Cherokee would be a big consideration and might very well tip the scales to the Toyota for that reason alone.)

Blind_Io

Adventurer
There has been recalls for the tacomas and tundras for rusting chasis. I know of two in my small town of about 20 tundras who had their chasis rusted out and the local dealer had about 50 tacomas as a big rust graveyard. NO THANKS. keep the Japscrap and drive a real vehicle.
OK, you just lost all credibility. Every automaker has had problems, Ford completely failed as a company at one point and went through decades of dark times producing things like the Mustang II. The 1990s saw the company fail after years of quality issues and substandard products. GM squandered the reputation they had built for quality and is still trying to earn it back.

To lump all Japanese made vehicles into the category of "japcrap" is not only small minded and bigoted, but not in touch with reality. My family had an FJ80 and now has a 4Runner Trail. I own a Nissan that has been fantastic. Even if an American marquee had a reputation for the durability of Toyota products, not one US brand makes a vehicle to compete with the 4Runner or XTerra. The Bronco is gone and shows no signs of being reborn, the Scout is dead along with the Blazer. What else is there? A Tahoe? Low clearance, horrible break over, approach, and departure angles - and most have eco tires with limited tread. It is a family hauler and tow vehicle for the camper or boat.

The only thing that comes close is the Wrangler, and frankly, after having a Chrysler product, I would never trust my life to it in the bush. Chrysler consistently ranks near the bottom in build quality and reliability. Sure there those guys who know a guy with an XJ that has "400,000 miles and never had any repairs!" but those are the exception, not the rule. It also highlights the problem Chrysler has had for years: inconsistency. Some of their vehicles can't make it two months without a trip to the shop, others seem to have been sprinkled with pixy dust and never fail. Roll the dice, you might get a good one.

Yes, Toyota made some mistakes by trying to be like GM - the problem is that they succeeded. The current offerings from Toyota are good solid vehicles (with the exception of the FJ Cruiser, which never did have its design issued fixed - the price of a production concept). I would trust my life to a 4Runner. Not so much with a Jeep.

Singlespeed92

Observer
Having trailed with a few KL's (new Cherokee) in the last month or so-including 1 Trail Hawk...if offroad performance becomes an issue,I'd go 4Runner 100% of the time,I was surprised at some of the things a friend's Trail Hawk made it past/over/through,but I still had to yank him more than once in my mostly stock XJ. I'm a Jeep guy who digs Toyotas as well (I've owned 4Runners in the past that made it well over 300K miles,as well as Jeeps that did the same-and loved/enjoyed each and all of em-BTW,a '98 Jeep Cherokee and 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6 sit in my driveway),so I'm about as unbiased as one could get. If you're talking lots of gravel/dirt roads either would do the job well enough and it'd come down to which you liked better (just my opinion,all of this BTW),but if there are real trails (not meaning mud bogs or rock crawling,I mean real trails that may include a bit of either),I wouldn't recommend the KL to any real friends (they have about as much flex as our Camry for one thing). Not hating on the new (non-Wrangler) Jeeps,mind you,progress comes to everything and I'm sure they're decent rigs for their intended use/users,but like I said,I've been trailing with some friends who've bought them,their offroad performance just isn't what one would expect from Jeep brand in 2014 IMO (that said,the new KL would make a much better tow rig for our camper than my old XJ,and would no doubt make a nice daily driver with more features coming standard than Jeep had probably heard of when they made my '98,LOL :) ). My 2 cents worth anyways. I too look forward to reading about your trips and decision :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles