2014/15 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk vs 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition

CF1973

Which of these two vehicles, by the numbers, do you believe is better for long partial off-road trips for two people? To pick something specific, a 1200 mile trip to The Pryor Mountains for 2 people. I've never been there, but think it's a trip I'd like to take, perhaps with another vehicle to assist.

I realize there could be a lot of side discussions about required equipment, 4x4 systems, off-road capabilities, etc. This is a question of which of these two vehicles you would choose and why.

If possible, please ignore brand loyalty, resale value, existing or anticipated reliability, etc. I am curious how this group values the following characteristics for that trip.

MPG
Trailhawk: 18/20/25
4Runner Trail: 17/18/21

Range, calculated
Trailhawk: 284.4 to 395
4Runner: 391 to 483

Weights
Trailhawk: 4106 lbs curb, 5500 GVWR, 1394 lbs cargo(calculated), 985 lbs (as listed in door jam, does not include fluids?)
4Runner: 4750 lbs curb, 6300 lbs GVWR, 1550 lbs cargo(calculated)

Cargo volume
Trailhawk: 29.7 and 54.9
4Runner: 47.2 and 89.7

Off-road numbers
Trailhawk: 8.7" listed clearance
4Runner: 9.6" listed clearance

- If my numbers are off, please correct me.
- If you think reliability or other factor MUST be considered for this type of trip, please feel free. Of course, you could always ignore this and say whatever you want. :)

My thoughts
- I like the range of the 4Runner and it has aftermarket parts not available for the Trailhawk.
- The cargo weights are very similar and I don't think that cargo volume for 2 people will be an issue in the Trailhawk. I say this without good experience, so please correct me.
- I get ~25 MPG in an empty Trailhawk in mixed driving because I drive conservatively.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I wouldn't even consider the new Cherokee in the same ballpark as a 4runner. You want me to avoid reliability? That's something that might be important for a long off road trip.

I would get the 4runner hands down.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
If it were me, I'd be looking at the 4Runner. I drove pre-production Cherokees and while I loved the interior, I couldn't get over the exterior. Also I prefer bigger vehicles so the 4Runner gets my vote.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
4runner all the way.

The numbers are comparable but the reliability, looks, comfort and functionality of the T4R are far superior.

libarata

Expedition Leader
As much as I dislike Toyota, the Toyota wins without consideration. I will keep the Cherokee for groceries.

njtacoma

Explorer
I don't really think they are in the same class of vehicle.

The 4runner has a ladder frame the Cherokee is unibody
The cargo volume is different, the cherokee is a smaller vehicle.

The cherokee in a comparison with a Rav4 might be more comparable vehicles.

toxicity_27

Adventurer

I would completely agree with this, which is why I chose the 4Runner, if it were between the Cheokee and the Rav4 I'd choose the Cherokee.

CF1973

Thank you everyone for the input so far.

You are right, obviously. Part of this question, is which of these types of vehicle is more appropriate for the type of trip mentioned? Are the ruggedness, cargo capacities and off-road capabilities of the 4Runner required for that type of trip? Is the Cherokee with less ruggedness, less cargo capacity and perhaps less off-road chops, not going to handle it? I realize the trip details are important and not having been anywhere near Montana or Alaska, I don't know. What if I wanted to drive to Alaska?

Thanks

njtacoma

Explorer
I would completely agree with this, which is why I chose the 4Runner, if it were between the Cheokee and the Rav4 I'd choose the Cherokee.

I guess I didn't finish my thought, if the comparison is 4runner v cherokee I choose the 4runner. If, however, the comparison is cherokee v rav4 I choose the cherokee.

The extra mileage of the cherokee would be nice for knocking down highway miles.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I prefer the size and gas mileage of the Cherokee, but everything else on the 4runner.

I'd go with the 4runner. I still don't have a lot of confidence in the Cherokee's transmission.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I vote Jeep. all the way. I have no faith in Toyotas at all. they rust out in a year or two here. 100 percent overrated vehicles.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
The Cherokee is significantly smaller and relies heavily on electronic systems to make up for mechanical shortcomings. The 4Runner is a body-on-frame construction compared to the Jeep's unibody. The 4Runner is simply a tougher and more capable machine with more usable space, load carrying, etc. It has been around a bit lo get so you will avoid the first-year problems that will probably pop up in the Jeep. Chrysler has an inconsistent reliability and build quality history, and while I think Toyotas are overvalued, I would trust my life to the 4Runner - the Jeep, not so much. The fact that the 4Runner has been around longer also means more aftermarket goodies.

Really, I don't even see these as being in the same class of vehicle.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
8 yrs and 100k with my 06 4runner. Still on original everything except tires and front pads. No repairs. Taken me all over the west without rattles and gets 18-20mpg on the highway. The jbl stereo sounds good, what more can you want?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I vote Jeep. all the way. I have no faith in Toyotas at all. they rust out in a year or two here. 100 percent overrated vehicles.

Just so he doesn't get flamed for this....I have heard about this from other people. Wasn't there a recall on rusted frames in 07 or 08?

I still vote T4R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94