What have you for a CB setup?

craig333

Expedition Leader
Same CB as Robert in my truck but with a mag mount antenna. Performance is only fair but mostly I just want to listen to the trail leader, if it does that I'm good.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Robert - Thanks for that info! That's a great rooftop solution for an xterra...for storage, antenna and lights. I was wondering about something like that just to put up some decent backup lights.

Back to the CB topic, the stick/whip antennas pretty much are dipoles, with the antenna being one half and the vehicle being the other. So having a better ground does help. But at 5 watts I'd agree it isn't anything you really have to do, you're not going to fry your trucks electrical systems, and probably not hurt the radio. With a 50W or so radio, like ham HF? Then it's a good idea to pay attention to how the ground/bonding of the antennas work.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
I run a BC-980 in my rig. It has all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a full sized radio.

14595963763_f9ae742699_c.jpg

I do radio sales/installs/repairs and the Cobra 75 has been the most popular radio out there. Recently I have been doing more sales of the Midland 75-822 and coupled with an external antenna I really tend to prefer it over the Cobra. As far as mag mounts go, the Wilson Lil Wil is a great performer.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Cobra 75 WX ST and a turntable 3 foot firestick. I rarely use it and it takes up minimal space. It has good enough range for what I use it for.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I wont bore with pictures. I hauled out my radio(Ebay purchased), antenna and hooked it all up. The radio is a Cobra 25ltd ST, and the antenna is a K30. I have an SWR meter, but I can not find a cable to actually tune my rig. So for now, I just listen. I did reach out five miles yesterday on ch.19. The Cobra 75 is very appealing to me, as soon as I save up for it.

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^
I would strongly suggest getting the Uniden PRO-510XL (or a 520XL) over a Cobra 75. The 75's compact proportions don't make up for it's dismal tonal quality on transmit, occasionally making those without extension speakers struggle to understand you... (probably why it's sound is so muffled, it's parts (notably the audio xfmr & IC, and possibly the mic element) are too tiny/low quality to be effective).

With a 510 or 520, others should be able to hear you with a much brighter, cleaner tone (which usually translates into being able to talk further distance as well), and it's still small enough you can find a convenient spot for it in most any vehicle.

Always use the longest antenna you can safely run, it is the most important part in efficiently transmitting and receiving.

Can't agree more here.
It also can't be stressed enough to mount it up on the highest practical point of your vehicle too. Those worried about overhead tree branches busting it off only need to put a good antenna spring on their mount (I've had a 5.5' Francis CB26 whip with a spring atop the roof of mine for 10+ years now without a problem).

libarata

Expedition Leader
The more I look at the Cobra 75, the less I actually like it. It looks great for non-essential use(road trips), but a dedicated box with full-sized parts does seem better in the long run, and more affordable.

Now, how many folks have SSB capability? I am keeping my eye on craigslist, and ebay for one :D

Grinder313

Observer
The TRC-465 in the pic I posted is on SSB, that is why I bought it. It is also the size of a Cobra 25, the other reason I bought it.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I have SSB as well. I can't say that I've come across many others who also have it in groups I've traveled with though (probably less than 1-2%).

SSB is getting more into the technical (hobby-orientated) side of things (and whoever you talk to on SSB obviously needs to be on a SSB unit as well). If you are into that, then for sure go with a SSB unit. They tend to be better for AM use as well due to the higher quality parts typically found in such radios.
There are units with FM available as well, though technically FM use is illegal in the US... and I think Canada as well (for no good reason either. :rolleyes: FM would get rid of probably 95-99% of the random noise (power line static bursting thru the squelch, etc.) that is sometimes prevalent on CB freqs if manufacturers were to also switch to noise and/or tone-based squelch technology like what is used on virtually all FRS or ham FM receivers, they would be less expensive to manufacture too).

Uniden's fairly new 980SSB is a unit that has had my curiosity for some time now... I haven't looked at one up close yet, but I think it's smaller than even the TRC-465/453 twins, and has a channel scan function which is something I've found to be useful at times while out in the boonies.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'M running the Uniden Pro538w for CB coms.
It's a very tight unit with a front firing speaker.
I wanted something that could be mounted in the dash and not have to run an external speaker.
This unit fit my needs exactly.
The Firestix II (4ft.) is mounted to the ARB bullbar with an HD spring.
The range is solid with the tunable Firestix.

P1010248_2.JPG

Robert Bills

Explorer
I would strongly suggest getting the Uniden PRO-510XL (or a 520XL) over a Cobra 75.

Although I currently use a Cobra 75 WX ST, I cannot disagree with this statement if the vehicle has a place to mount the larger radio.

The problem with some late model vehicles, the Nissan Xterra being one example, is that there are no cubbies in the dash in which a CB would fit nor is there room to mount a CB under the dash. Sure, one could mount it inside the compartment in the center console, behind the console or in a door pocket, but it would render the unit impossible to see while keeping one's eyes on the road/trail.

4x4junkie

Explorer
The problem with some late model vehicles, the Nissan Xterra being one example, is that there are no cubbies in the dash in which a CB would fit nor is there room to mount a CB under the dash.

I'd be willing to bet finding a good place for it is a lot easier than you think. :)

Possibilities might include: above the rearview mirror, side of the center console (or transmission hump), atop the center of the dash, below & right of the steering column (barring your knee doesn't hit it there), under the HVAC / 4WD control pod where vehicles used to have ashtrays... I'm sure there's others as well (the unit is only 4-1/2" wide, 1-3/8" thick, and 6-1/2" deep).

If you're averse to drilling holes for brackets, Scotch (3M) makes a very strong "Outdoor Mounting Tape" that can be used to mount it directly (it's sortof like double-stick foam tape, but MUCH stronger, and is gray in color). It's immune to heat, cold, & moisture, doesn't dry out or harden, yet it can be released by sticking a putty knife or similar object in between where it's bonded and working it through the tape to lift it off. Home Depot & others sell it in the tape & glue section.

Of course even better than any of this would be if Cobra would do something to improve the poor audio circuit in that radio (it's a spiffy little unit otherwise, the audio is really the only thing that keeps me from recommending it), though I wouldn't suggest anyone hold their breath. Maybe that small Midland unit mentioned earlier in the thread is better, though I have no experience with it myself.

libarata

Expedition Leader
The Cobra 25ltd I have is from 1997. I contacted Cobra, and they said they would refurbish it(gauge light does not work, loose knobs), but they did not list a fee. What angers me, is that most of these CBs have not changed in decades, other than fresh paint, camo options, and some have gotten slightly smaller. I really wish there were still radio shacks that had competent employees.

-

I have a small cubby(cd case holder) that I could shove a 19DX style transceiver into, and that is the class I am looking at. The 75 style is even more attractive in a limited space set-up, but reviews that folks give are on both ends of the spectrum, with the good side always commenting on ease of use, and install. While the bad side speaks of bad audio and others tinny reception. It is also hard to find out if the folks that use them tune anything, or just slap everything together and start jabbering on random channels. I suspect that the 75, compared to a normal box is about like comparing a tablet to a dedicated towered computer.

How many of you listen to CH9? I tuned in on my way home yesterday, and I was immediately assaulted with gruff sounding Spanish.

Grinder313

Observer
The old 25's are still popular with the dedicated AM CBers and should last many more years. You can get the light bulb at the cell shack and the other parts are in ebay if you know what the specs are or search the net. A lot of cb's are going to SMT so their is change. I would keep the 25 until it's dead.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Really, what would be nice would be a small CB. The size of the detachable face of some dual band ham radios - maybe 2" tall x 4" wide, but only about 2" deep. There's no reason a 5W radio has to be any bigger than that. 6" x 4" x 1.5" is the size the radio needed to be 20+ years ago...nowadays that is the size a 50W radio should be. In a full sized pickup, or a class-A truck, or an old crown vic, mounting a couple of big radios isn't a big deal. But Robert's right, there's just no good place to mount one where it's visible in many new trucks, Xterra included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles