What have you for a CB setup?

libarata

Expedition Leader
I do not see a currently active thread of this kind. So what do you have? Do you have a known range? Do you know your furthest reach? Show them pictures!

Grinder313

Observer
Right now I run a Realistic TRC-465 with an RS 65" ant. Longest skip was Brazil in late Spring and 40 miles to a base station.

tarditi

Explorer
Cobra 75wxst - I don't use CB often, but it's compact and easy to use. No idea what max range is - I am in the process of changing vehicles and then I'll probably change antennas. Currently I have a non-ground plane antenna and moving to a 4' tune-able firestik.

Grinder313

Observer
Always use the longest antenna you can safely run, it is the most important part in efficiently transmitting and receiving.

Robert Bills

Explorer
My primary mode of radio communication is Ham, but because amateur radio operators are a minority in the offroad community and CB is required for almost all organized events, I have equipped my rig with Ham, CB and FRS/GMRS.

My Nissan Xterra lacks anyplace to mount a full size CB chassis (or even a small unit) that is easy to see while driving. Since my primary purpose for CB is short distance group communications on the trail rather than on the highway where a greater range is required, and I didn't want to hack up the interior trim in my rig, I gave up on the idea of a "peaked and tweaked" full size unit and went with a Cobra 75 WX ST, Breedlove stud mount/quick disconnect on my roof rack (properly grounded to body and frame), and 3' Firestik Firefly antenna.

I haven't measured the range, but my CB performance is similar to offroad rigs I encounter with unmodified full size Cobra, Midland and Uniden radios and the ubiquitous 4' Firestik II.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Robert - not to hijack, but can I ask what you used for a 2m antenna, and how you grounded the cb antenna? I also drive an xterra, and not only does it not have great mounting options, I don't know how I'd ground a roof antenna without drilling holes...my understanding is that the roof rack is just held on with rivnuts.

To answer the original question, I would use a mag mount on the roof if I ever do CB, which is rare, because it would give a decent ground plane, and because if I hit a branch it just knocks the antenna off, rather than tearing off whatever the bracket is. Main disadvantage of a mag mount is that long term it tears up the paint no matter what you do, you'll have a ring and eventually a rust spot. Oh, and performance will never be as good as a longer antenna w/ a decent ground. When I had a truck with a rear tire carrier, I just mounted a 3' fiberglass antenna on the carrier bracket with a 3/8" stud truck mirror bracet, no other ground. It shouldn't have worked well, but it was fine.

Tom

Grinder313

Observer
When it comes to "grounding" an antenna, you only need continuity to the body which acts as the ground plane. Some people go to extremes, adding ground straps to doors, trunk and hood to make the vehicle's whole body the GP. A mag mount actually uses capacitance coupling to the body. I have used a mag Wilson 1000 and didn't notice any difference between it and my Radio Shack whip of the same length that is only grounded to the trunk lid.

brownmule

Observer
I have a Galaxie 88 with an Astatic mic. A whip antenna is what I use. I'm in north Texas and I've skipped from coast to coast, canada, Puerto Rico, I guess Puerto Rico is my longest.

Robert Bills

Explorer
AlbanyTom said:
Robert - not to hijack, but can I ask what you used for a 2m antenna, and how you grounded the cb antenna? I also drive an Xterra, and not only does it not have great mounting options, I don't know how I'd ground a roof antenna without drilling holes...my understanding is that the roof rack is just held on with rivnuts.

I use a 3' Firestik Firefly for my CB and a 19" Larsen NMO-2/70SH for my 2m/70cm Ham radio. (I may try out the 34.75" Larsen NMO-2/70B for backcountry use, but so far the shorter antenna has not let me down.)

Both antenna mounts are attached to tabs welded to a steel drop-in basket that fits between the factory roof rack rails. (http://www.hepsdesigns.com/) For the ground I use 1/2" wide tinned copper grounding strap from the roof rack to the body near the hinge for the rear hatch. (http://www.aesham.com/lightning-protection/cable-x-perts-2332/) It did require drilling a hole for a machine screw, but the hole is hidden from view. Since RF current runs on the surface of a wire rather than through it, the braided flat strap is a more effective antenna ground than 12 ga. primary wire. See this article on "bonding": http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html

Grinder313 said:
When it comes to "grounding" an antenna, you only need continuity to the body which acts as the ground plane. Some people go to extremes, adding ground straps to doors, trunk and hood to make the vehicle's whole body the GP.

I disagree that bonding is "extreme," particularly when one is limited to the use of clamp-on antenna mounts, roof rack mounts, and tire carrier mounts. Braided copper strap currently sells for $0.89/ft and it only takes a few feet to properly ground an antenna. Bonding hood and rear hatch to body and body to frame only takes a few more feet and perhaps 30 minutes of one's time. Properly grounding an antenna mount and bonding to improve ground plane isn't wasted effort if one depends upon radio communications for offroad safety/survival and it improves radio transmission by even 1/2 mile.

Grinder313

Observer
I understand bonding and it's benefits. I would take my dipole and string it up if I had to and have better luck than my mobile antenna, I think everyone should carry a dipole. K0BG has a good site. OK, lets get back on topic...

Grinder313

Observer
507e764691a667ddca9b092d8a98ece4.jpg

I have a Cobra 148GTL, Uniden PC78 LTW and President Jackson I keep for mobile backup and a Cobra 2000GTL and Tram D201 connected to a 102" SS whip for base operation.

irish1371

Adventurer
I run a cobra 75. I used double sided velcro to put the u it down behind the glove box.
I use a 4 ft firestik for all around and a 2ft for pa trail runs.
You can see my mic and my phone holder set up
b20377f75346403a83e77927bf5d1122.jpg

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
Go for the cobra 75. Tune your antenna correctly and you'll get the same range of any other unmodified CB, plus, you cannot beat the flexibility of installation- the only thing that shows is a tiny 1/2" plug that you can mount anywhere convenient instead of trying to stick a dang VCR sized box somewhere.
Unless you use it daily and can't live without fancy features the big ones have, you really can't beat it.
I love mine after realizing how few people actually use CB anymore- no wasted space

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier