SYE help

katuah

Adventurer
OK so I need some assistance. Tried asking over at NAXJA and all I got was crickets. I did some parts trading and at the end of it all I wound up with a used SYE. I want to put it in my XJ, but it clearly is going to need some new seals/rings/etc I wanted to get everything together before starting to work, but I have no idea how to tell which company made it so as to find out exactly what all I need to get. Does anybody here know SYE's well enough to tell me anything useful? Pic below. And yes, they appear to have grabbed a lot more than just the SYE. I pity whoever ended up with that TC.
sye1.JPG

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
Call advance adapters. Most likely they made it. They make most of the ones on the market. The seals should have the part number on them. Clean them up good and look close. Most times you can cross reference most seal part numbers to a national number. you should get a new yoke nut as well. Depending on your trans set up, you should be able to use a front drive shaft in the rear. I did that and carried an extra as a spare. Was kinda nice having 1 shaft to cover either end. I assume you have a 231? There is only one company that makes a 242 sye and thats tom woods.

katuah

Adventurer
I traded for a drive shaft too, from a local shop with a good reputation. :) Have Spicer U-joints on-hand for that. Yes, 231. Another issue, though, is that I have the AX-15 manual, and I've heard that the rear DS has to be longer for those because the t-case sits closer to the engine due to the different transmission size. (Must say I haven't measured so this is hearsay to me at the moment) I may have to get the DS lengthened. And that would probably eliminate using a front shaft as a spare. I'm not really expecting to be performing the sorts of crazy crawling stuff that generally breaks a DS anyway, though, so (knock wood) I will probably just carry spare U-joints.

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
Assuming the transfer case in your XJ works well and the internal components are good. All you would need to use from what you have pictured is the main shaft, rear tail housing, yoke and the nut. You might have to cut off a portion of the shift fork shaft at the rear where it goes into the new rear tail housing (the depth may be to shallow compared to the stock housing). Everything else in the picture can be kept for a spare or to replace what you have from yours if the part is in better shape. A new rear output seal, RTV silicone and of course a rear driveshaft (the AX15 is shorter than the auto). It can all be done without splitting the transfer case from the transmission. Unless the seal between the tranny and transfer case needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94