High mileage Tahoe. Should I pass?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
If he can back up his maintenance claims a bit of bartering for a lower price could be a good deal. Only other big thing to worry about would be brake lines. Already had mine rupture at 92K, replaced the whole set two weeks ago. Treat the engine well and it should last you the 2 years you anticipate.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I had an 04 and traded it with 187,000 miles. Loved the truck but developed a coolant leak and was looking at potential big $$$ to fix the truck that was 9 years old. Watch for undercarriage corrosion. We use the liquid calcium chloride in CT and it eats brake systems, backing plates etc. There was also a problem with the speedometer going bad and the entire instrument cluster being replaced on a lot of these. You may want to see if that has been done.
Again, I was very happy with the truck but the Mrs. wanted me to get a newer Tahoe before I retire (so I could work extra to pay for it). We now have a 2013 Z71 Tahoe. Good luck

Kaisen

Explorer
It's $4800!? So what are you expecting?

My 2003 Suburban has about 260K miles with no issues thus far, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country

A rebuilt instrument cluster is under $150, so no big deal.... and you can rebuild each gauge that fails for under $15 (replace bad stepper motor)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Those early 5.3's last a long time, that being said there is a big diff between 250k miles you have driven and buying a used 250k vehicle. Good thing is 5.3's out of wrecked salvage yard trucks are cheap and plentiful.

Kaisen

Explorer
...that being said there is a big diff between 250k miles you have driven and buying a used 250k vehicle...

True. But it would be just as true at 100K miles. Or 150K miles. If the budget is $5K, you're not buying a low mile queen. Condition trumps miles, regardless.

mike the welder

Adventurer
I just bought a Suburban with the 5.7, however I test drove allot of trucks with the 5.3 and was very disappointed with the power, mostly because it didn't have any. Even with the 5.7 I want more. I can't say anything about their longevity, but since the cash for clunkers deal it's very hard to find low mileage high end cars. New Tahoe, Suburban's etc were very expensive new and bring pretty good resale.

Bottom line is how do you feel about the deal? I personally don't buy vehicles(anymore) unless I can drive away with a smile knowing I came out on top.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have driven quite a few 5.3's and 5.7's. I have always felt the 5.3 to be far superior IMO.
I just bought a Suburban with the 5.7, however I test drove allot of trucks with the 5.3 and was very disappointed with the power, mostly because it didn't have any. Even with the 5.7 I want more. I can't say anything about their longevity, but since the cash for clunkers deal it's very hard to find low mileage high end cars. New Tahoe, Suburban's etc were very expensive new and bring pretty good resale.

Bottom line is how do you feel about the deal? I personally don't buy vehicles(anymore) unless I can drive away with a smile knowing I came out on top.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Most Chevys we have owned have not had motor/trans issues......but everything else.....the little stuff....seems to fail, which is why I would recommend the oldest style that you are comfortable with to minimize frivolous repairs.
We live on a dirt road, so that certainly increases our trucks failure rate.
My wife's 07 tahoe at 85k now. The motor burns less oil than others I've read about.....but uses oil. "Service 4wd" lights up whenever it gets cold...you know....like when you need it. Brakes after brakes. U joints. No major issues, but a ton of little nit picky stuff. I soooo want to dump it for an older unit(not having a tpms is reason enough for me) but she likes the squeaky plastic Lego like interior.

Sold my 98 suburban @265k.....no major issues
My 1990 at 150k is getting its original clutch swapped out....again, no major issues.

300-400k mile Chevys are not uncommon in our part of the country but the prices are only slightly higher than scrap value

1meanz

Mullet Club Chairman
I have driven quite a few 5.3's and 5.7's. I have always felt the 5.3 to be far superior IMO.

I just bought a Suburban with the 5.7, however I test drove allot of trucks with the 5.3 and was very disappointed with the power, mostly because it didn't have any.

This is the difference between how people feel torque and horsepower. The 5.3 runs pretty good once it's revved up. The 5.7 has much more low end torque and feels better at part throttle, especially in a Suburban with a 3.42 gear set. I don't feel one engine is better than the other, they just deliver power differently. Just wanted to jump in and clear that up.

Either engine will run 300k miles or many more if maintained properly, the transmissions and transfer cases are essentially identical as are the front and rear diffs. 5.7 SUVs have leaf springs in the back, 5.3 SUVs have coils. Other than that it's about it for the major components.

98dango

Expedition Leader
My 2005 Tahoe has 167k with nothing major that was fault of the truck. I did rebuild the transfer case but that was due to improper fluid. The rest is all stock not treated well. I did have an electrical problem but again due to bad install of aftermarket part. Now the typical service 4wd and tps light. The tps light well It never has had sensors.

mike the welder

Adventurer

I should have included "IMO". I just drove over 20 trucks and Suburbans in the last 30 days and did not like the 5.3 at all and I felt the 5.7 had more power overall IMO. Everybody has different taste.

Hey Drewnobi, I think I still have about a week left on my carfax subscription. If you get me a tag number or Vin# I can run the carfax report and email it to you. Carfax kept me from buying some real potential problem trucks. You would not believe the stuff people try to sell you hoping you wont find out.

clandr1

Adventurer
I've owned my '05 since new, and love it (122,000 on it currently). Other than a water pump, brakes, new steering components and a windshield washer fluid pump, I haven't had any problems.
I also think you should come up with an extra $500 and make a road trip to Dallas.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/******/cto/4618843832.html

Drewnobi

Well, thanks for the replies and advice. If the guy gets back to me about the trade I will consider the condition of the truck after a test drive. Haven't heard back though...typical CL stuff.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
as far as car fax goes many many many shops do not report to car fax did I say many. also used car dealers do not report or if they do everything is rosy. also backyard mechanics don't report. just something to keep in mind. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles