Navajo Nation, Hunts Mesa trip

DVD

Adventurer
Hunts Mesa overlooks Monument Valley and is within the Navajo Nation, near the AZ and UT eastern border. It's an incredibly beautiful and remote area. The remoteness is enhanced by the fact that Hunts Mesa is within the Navajo nation, and you need to have a native guide to access the area.

One of my Land Rover buddies and his wife organized the trip, and their uncle, who lives right in the area, served as our guide. So we had the double good fortune of visiting this beautiful area and driving our own vehicles.

Let's get right to the good stuff: the scenery. It's definitely one of those out-loud "wow!" moments when after driving for a couple hours, you finally crest the last little climb and see Monument Valley spread out before you. Here are some photo highlights:

DSCN1080.JPG

The first view of Monument Valley from Hunts Mesa. Indelibly printed in memory

DSCN1086.JPG

Panorama of campsite

2014-08-30%2B17.11.11.jpg

Hunts Mesa camp view

DSCN1152.JPG

Sunrise

2014-08-30%2B19.18.51.jpg

Sunset

I haven't delved into photography enough to do night photos, but as incredible as the daylight photos are, the night views, with the host of stars and the Milky Way wheeling on an axis, were equally wonderful. It was cool that our guide could tell the time at night by which stars were over which formations (e.g., "when that bright star is over the 'bears ears,' it's around 2 a.m."), and he pointed out Navajo constellations.

Speaking of wheeling, the trails up and down the mesa were fun. A few steep, rocky sections, a few sandy sections, and beautiful scenery the entire way. Our trip leader used a saying: "fewer vehicles, fewer problems," and that held true - either that or the renowned Land Rover reliability :)

DSCN1049.JPG

A couple of the classic Land Rovers on this trip

DSCN1077.JPG

Our vehicle ascending the mesa

We did some "Rovering" and hiking on the full day spent on the mesa.

2014-08-30%2B12.22.01.jpg

Vista into the valley

DSCN1230.JPG

We called this "pose rock"

2014-08-29%2B18.08.24.jpg

We never tired of the views of Monument Valley

2014-08-31%2B10.42.09.jpg

We explored these ruins on the trip down

The best part was hanging out with good people who share similar interests and love of the land.

DSCN1158.JPG

Heading back to camp to hang around the fire

After 2 nights camping on the mesa, our private trip was done, and some of our party visited the Navajo park that comprises Monument Valley, driving the loop through the monuments on the valley floor. I think it's like the Grand Canyon, where it's cool to be down in it, but the view from the rim affords more scale and grandeur.

lL8n2n2DsigCHPM2-qnPaaLwdJp2-mdVHIMGRmcSqbo4=w796-h597-no

Three Sister monument

2014-08-31%2B12.43.29.jpg

Monument Valley floor

All in all, a great trip, and I hope this report captures some of the wonder and beauty.
More photos in a Google+ album

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! What an adventure and stunning scenery!! Now that's some Rovering!! Thanks for posting the 80 pictures.................................only one little problem: I saw a Diamondbacks baseball T-shirt. My wife and I are fanatical Colorado Rockies fans but we won't hold that T-shirt against you and yours. Really great posting!! Stunning vistas!!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Looks like a great time and nice group to travel with
Thanks for posting the pics, I never get tired of looking at that area or traveling through there

SmoothLC

Explorer
Jaw dropping wow - absolutely stunning.

And how did I not know this area??!!

Going to have to call my friend who lives on the res and see if a trip can be arranged.

Seriously, thanks for sharing. Those photos are really spectacular.

32vsnake

Adventurer
The 4 corners is on our radar for next year and those photos re-enforce the fact that we need to get out that way.

Beautiful photos... thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94