International 4300 4x4 with Cummins discussion

ScottReb

Adventurer
Haven't seen much discussion on this platform. Maybe I'm missing it, but someone will let me know:sombrero: I know GXV and UniCat have done some rigs with Internationals but it doesn't much talk around here, it seems to be one of the best options for US big rig builders.

This appears to be a very good platform. I know its not a COE but the regular cab is 107" to bumper. U500 is approx 86" for comparison. They have good GVW you can stay under 26K for CDL issues or go up to 33K I believe. Lots of frame and cab options.

The Cummins has been available for a couple years now. There is growing Cummins support/use in Europe at least. Makes getting parts easier in that half of the world. http://www.cumminseuro6.com/welcome-to-our-guide-to-euro-6?nointro=yes

Lets hear what people have to say...

Last edited:

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Navistar had so many issues with its EGR MaxForce engines that it turned to Cummins in desperation to stop rapidly decreasing market share.

As a point of reference, I've got the DT570 in my 7400, and my truck weighs about 27,000 fully loaded. Made sure I got the bigger motor after driving a few 4000 and 7000 series with the DT466, which is the 7.6L mentioned by Suave. Good motor, but it's a slug on any hill, with or without a load. If you're going to be over 20K, I'd suggest the bigger motor.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Another thought, but about the chassis, rather than the motor, for international travel. I had to do some meetings in Belfast this week, and took some time today to rent a motorcycle to scoot around the back roads of Northern Ireland (new Triumph Tiger 1150, sweet ride!). Every time I passed a truck or caravan/motorhome, I thought "there is now way in hell that I would ever consider driving my 7400 on these roads, with or without the camper!" And I think the same thing everywhere I go outside the USA. We just make everything super-sized in the US, from our meals to our vehicles and they just don't fit well in most of the rest of the planet. No matter what happens with Cummins support, I'd want it in a smaller, COA chassis for overseas travel.

ScottReb

Adventurer
I know the size issue is a personal thing. But the European builders all build their campers on bigger trucks. The average, at least to my guess, is about a 5 meter box. And they all travel in Europe, at least to start. Shacagra (probably butchered the spelling) travelled 20,000 miles in EU with what is much larger of a truck. Said it was the same size as most larger delivery style vehicles over there. When Ive been there Ive seen some very large vehicles in small cities. I guess what Im saying is that I agree, small is better, to a point. You have to be comfortable. Were planning on a 10+ year timeframe on Europe and Asia. Plus we will have at least one possibly two motorbikes for our local travel. Our truck will be our home and the bikes will be our run around vehicles.

Joaquin, I didn't know you had a 6BT in the Casa, very cool. Nice simple strong engine.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The motor is set up with dual alternators (motor and home banks are complete seperated with a back up isolater if one of the alternators goes bad)

Reminded of a question I had quite a while back and forgot to ask...

If one of the alternators goes bad, what happens with that serpentine belt? I mean, can you just remove the bad (possibly locked up) alternator and keep on going?

Umtaneum

Adventurer
I have looked at an International for a build, so far it's too much money for me, realistically. However, in our family construction business we have had several Intl. short wheelbase 5yd. dump trucks. We love them. The DT 466 is underpowered for any load over about 25k, I would say. I doubt if most campers are going to be much over 20k, which I think the motor is more than adequate for. Fully loaded, pulling a mini excavator on the trailer, we are running about 50,000 GCVW, as an example. Very sluggish. I have a 5 speed over a two in our current one. I like our Kenworth/Caterpillar with a 6 speed manual better with a light load or on the freeway, not so much when heavily loaded on surface streets. Not enough gear choices. 10 speeds seems just about right.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
Intl. CXT or MXT look like the ideal overland build platforms, as long as you can stay away from that maxforce engine.

ScottReb

Adventurer
It looks like the only Intl with the Cummins option is the 4300. As far as I can tell. Hoping to get my base vehicle the end of next year for my build, so no hurry for me.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
A Cummins is a solid choice.

Size really comes down to preference. Many here will say that anything bigger than a 4runner is too big for international travel. On the other end you have all the manufactured expedition rigs are larger sized like a box truck, or bigger. Perception is a big part of it. A military 2 1/2 ton truck like what I'm building is the same size as a crew cab long bed truck, just taller and has a 3rd axle. People think its a huge vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz