General Grabber AT's

Worshington

Observer
Hey Gang,

Has anyone had any experience with these tires? The monty is going to need some new shoes soon and originally I was torn between Cooper AT3's and BFG AT K/O's but I saw an LR3 on a trail a few miles from my house with these and I've found that they are a little cheaper. I'm on a pretty tight budget, (my new full size spare is a tire that I found in a ditch on the back 40 of the property where I live) so price means a lot. I like what I hear about the coopers but these generals seem to have a slightly more aggressive tread.

Cheers,

Jason

bikerjosh

Explorer
AT2

Had AT2s on a more modified Element. Great tire, very heavy though or so they seemed. Only had them for 20k miles before I sold my element, but they didn't seem wear much in that time.

Superu

Explorer
Have used AT2's on the Superu and run them in a 33" size on my 03 Suburban. Very pleased with them.

Last edited:

jfeust

You know Cooper is running a $70 cash back on the AT3's right now? I just bought a set myself. They should be here this week.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I run the AT3 on my Chevy diesel and love them in everything except really heavy mud, but most of us don't drive through mud more than we need to though. On the other hand I have been through 6 or 7 sets of the BFG KO's over the years on my Jeeps and now the Montero and have been 100% happy with them, never had a single tire issue or flat.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I've had BFG's, and AT2. I now run ATP's (slightly more aggressive AT3) and I would pick the ATP. Quieter and works just as well if not better in dirt. They're all good tires though.

Worshington

Observer
Thanks for the input fellas...these sound like they might be a contender. I'm starting to think that I'm not up to spending the extra bread on the BFGs, especially because both the Coopers and the Generals sound like they are great tires. As far as I can tell, I will be spending about the same amount on either tire. So it is officially a toss up.

Cheers,

Jason

mapper

Explorer
I researched the crap out of tires when I bought my last 2 sets of AT tires. I definitely considered the AT2 but found a fair number of reviews complaining of ride quality, fuel economy and winter capability. Take it for what it's worth. I run Cooper AT3s on my Astro (P-metrics, not LTs) and they perform wonderfully and I especially like how they ride. They have a silica based rubber compound and the ride quality and noise traits are consistent with what silica based rubbers are supposed to do. They also have been excellent in the wet and snow (though not as good as a dedicated snow tire).

My Montero has Hankook Atm rf10s in 31x10.5...they don't ride as nice or quiet as the coopers, but they are a LT C-load tire. I kind of wish I had put Coopers on the Montero too. My roommate has 31x10.5 AT3s on his Tacoma. I've been meaning to drive that truck as he's out of town for a month. I'll try to take it for a spin tomorrow and see how the C-load LT tire compares to my p-metrics.

So, in summary...my experience with the AT3 is wonderful and I like them more than my hankooks for dry use. I definitely recommend them. I don't have direct experience with the AT2 but got turned off by some reviews and seemingly "older" tread technology.

plh

Explorer
I have a Gen III Monty. Unibody makes for more road noise? I would have guessed it would be the other way around.

If you see in my signature line the Falken Wild Peaks listed spent their first 30K miles on my '05 Couldn't stand the noise from day 1. Moved them over to my '92 this summer and are silent.

The Gen 3 is much ore susceptible to road and tire noise than a Gen 2.

Mojave Jack

I've been through the tire research wringer myself, lately. I've run BFGs for years, but the one drawback is that the colder it gets the harder they get and they turn into ice skates. I've never run the Grabbers, but they were a top contender. I eventually got the Cooper AT3s, and absolutely love them. They were rated number 1 in Consumer Reports for AT tires, and all things being equal, I ended up going with them. Saving $50 a tire at Onlinetires.com, plus the Cooper $70 rebate previously mentioned didn't hurt either. I f you are in SoCal, you can pick them up at the warehouse and save the delivery fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94