Choosing a landcruiser

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Ih8Mud 100 Series LC Forum <-- This link contains everything you could ever possibly want to know about the 100 Series LC. Before you click it ensure you have several days of free time on your hands ;)

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Kurt,

I know this is only an observation, but I stopped at a post office and a new 4Runner parked next to my 80 series, I think it was bigger than the LC. I wonder if a 100 series is about the same feel as his LB Crew Cab 2nd Gen Taco. I know both feel big when I compare them to my Taco, but not as much as people make it seem, I think the 80 might have a tighter turning radius, so that helps me....

The 100 is surely larger (wider) but perhaps not by too much, I'll have to measure next time I have them side by side. That said I've had 2nd Gen Tacoma owners behind the wheel of my 100 on extended trips and they all think it 'feels' much larger than their Tacoma. Perhaps perception?

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
The 100 is surely larger (wider) but perhaps not by too much, I'll have to measure next time I have them side by side. That said I've had 2nd Gen Tacoma owners behind the wheel of my 100 on extended trips and they all think it 'feels' much larger than their Tacoma. Perhaps perception?

100 & 80 are within an inch of each other in size, same wheelbase. 4 & 5th gen 4rnr are a couple inches shorter and wider than 100 & 80, insignificant off road. I went from 3rd gen 4rnr to 100 and didn't find it a major factor off road.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Hello all,

I am new here and looking at trading my 2012 TRD Tacoma in for a Land Cruiser. I am very interested in the idea of an overland build, In fact it consumes all my google time lately. I would like something that will be a good well rounded vehicle since i still do a fair amount of road driving here in Texas. I have found a few 2006 (100 series?) Im still not even sure how to tell them all apart. Can anyone provide some good basics on what I should be focused on. My hope is for a decent lift 3" or so with some good sized rubber and enough suspension that it will bare a good sized bumper and winch without rubbing offroad.

the standard 2" lift does 35's. in fact, i just checked mine and im at 1" up front. i decided to keep it that way to lessen the strain on the cv's. with my 1" diff drop im not too far out of stock. i just barely make contact with the frame at full lock/compression. not enough to notice off road.

zimm

Expedition Leader
What sort of fuel economy are you getting out of your modded rigs? And how "tight" are they after that many miles? I would guess they are still very solid and rattle free?

3 skid plates, sliders, 2 8000lb winches with synth, steel bumpers, steel drawers, full tools, full recovery gear (2 blocks, 200ft straps/rope, 8 shackles etc), 20lbd co2 tank on roof, 1 spare jerry, full camping equipment/food, roof rack, rtt, 2 people, 35's, stock gearing, 178,000 miles on motor and one pheasant feather. 12.2 mpg @ 70-75mph highway (cruise control). considering the wind im breaking, id guess 11 combined with city with that load.

zimm

Expedition Leader
For 28 Large you should be able to get a killer low mile 100 or maybe a 200 without real high miles. Therefore engine rebuild should be a long ways off unless you have a long commute, in which case you better think twice about an unnecessary lift and bigger tires. Your MPG would drop from poor to dismal.

is alaska on the dollar or the euro? 'cause i cant find a 28 large 200 anywhere in the continental US.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
From what I have seen any 200 with less than 100,000mi is going to be north of $30k. Could be a gross generalization but that's what I remember from last time I did a search.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I'm running 33" meats, slee sliders, full front runner roof rack, 2" lift, engle fridge, standard tote of recovery gear + hi lift and I get 18 MPG at 75mph. Albeit just had had injectors reconditioned and new plugs and ignitors installed. At 80+mph it drops quickly to about 13mph

zimm

Expedition Leader
I'm running 33" meats, slee sliders, full front runner roof rack, 2" lift, engle fridge, standard tote of recovery gear + hi lift and I get 18 MPG at 75mph. Albeit just had had injectors reconditioned and new plugs and ignitors installed. At 80+mph it drops quickly to about 13mph

That's better than epa... you must have a caffeinated coffee injection system installed.

Dutchman82

Dutchman82
I have 2 80 series land cruisers,one I daily drive, and one is my offroad-expo rig. What attracted me to the 80 series is the solid front axle, and the factory option F/R locking differentials. Factory suspension 33 inch tires are no problem, and 35 inch tires even with a small lift will not rub at full articulation (if offroad). They have both been incredibly reliable, and I just did the head gasket on my DD at 220k, and my trip rig still has 90k orig, so have a long ways to go. I will say fully loaded, the 4.5 inline 6 does leave something to be desired, and having driven a 100 series the 4.7 V8 sure is nice, it makes considerably more power but still maintains about the same mileage, if not better than the 80 series. I am more offroad moderate rock crawl centric, but still drive my 80 on multi thousand mile trips to get to get to the fun offroad areas, where I really like the solid front axle. You can't go wrong either way.

NickFL

I just installed a 2.5" OME lift and 33's (275/70/R18) Toyo AT II on my '03 with 60k miles. I have only had the truck for a week, so I haven't calculated any mileage yet. I can give you my first tank with this setup numbers in a day or so. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94