Choosing a landcruiser

DV8ED

Hello all,

I am new here and looking at trading my 2012 TRD Tacoma in for a Land Cruiser. I am very interested in the idea of an overland build, In fact it consumes all my google time lately. I would like something that will be a good well rounded vehicle since i still do a fair amount of road driving here in Texas. I have found a few 2006 (100 series?) Im still not even sure how to tell them all apart. Can anyone provide some good basics on what I should be focused on. My hope is for a decent lift 3" or so with some good sized rubber and enough suspension that it will bare a good sized bumper and winch without rubbing offroad.

bjowett

Adventurer
Welcome. What do you have budgeted for just the vehicle? Your Taco is likely worth low to mid 20's. The 100 Series 98 - 2007 is a great truck, but if you can swing it, the 2008 and up 200 Series is also a nice option.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Why lift it? as an expedition (car camping?) truck? What is the largest tire a stock 100/200 series will accept? 33's? I think I remember something about lifting these generation trucks and their ride adjust/ATRAC/something? But I have a 1st gen Taco and 80 series, so what do I know ; ) - good luck in your search!

p nut

butter
Welcome. What do you have budgeted for just the vehicle? Your Taco is likely worth low to mid 20's. The 100 Series 98 - 2007 is a great truck, but if you can swing it, the 2008 and up 200 Series is also a nice option.

If his Taco is an AC, then maybe low-mid 20's. '12 DC's are still in the upper 20's or 30's (depending on trim) where I live.

Why lift it? as an expedition (car camping?) truck? What is the largest tire a stock 100/200 series will accept? 33's? I think I remember something about lifting these generation trucks and their ride adjust/ATRAC/something? But I have a 1st gen Taco and 80 series, so what do I know ; ) - good luck in your search!

33's fit stock. You can adjust the torsion bar to lift the front. The 06 may also have the AHC, which adjusts the ride height as well.

DV8ED

My Truck blue books for around $28 still. Its a fully loaded TRD Crew cab LB 4x4 with Nav and JBL sound. Id like to keep my budget for the Land cruiser around $28k. I got hosed on my interest rate because I am Canadian and had no credit at the time. I should be able to secure a good rate now.

I noticed of course that the LC's that come up are naturally higher mileage. If i wanted to do an engine rebuild or purchase a long block are these readily available?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I got hosed on my interest rate because I am Canadian

Nice subtle Bob and Doug MacKenzie reference you slipped in there:26_7_2:

All the parts you could ever need are still available. Search for "Cruiser Dan" on Ih8mud (the land cruiser forum) and he can get you anything you need at a great price from his Toyota dealership. It is in Texas too.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Fwiw CDan is in Albuquerque, NM... he is in fact a fantastic parts resource for OEM goods.

The Slee site is a fantastic shopping resource. I'd supplement that with the recommendation that you go and drive as may samples as you possible can. Additionally see if you can't find some built 100 Series owners in your neck of the woods for a potential test drive... they are big rigs and coming from a Tacoma you might find the size unsettling.

Jwestpro

Explorer

Isn't the front end, meaning the torsion bar system, the primary limiting factor in how most people seem to want to "build" up a LC?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Kurt,

I know this is only an observation, but I stopped at a post office and a new 4Runner parked next to my 80 series, I think it was bigger than the LC. I wonder if a 100 series is about the same feel as his LB Crew Cab 2nd Gen Taco. I know both feel big when I compare them to my Taco, but not as much as people make it seem, I think the 80 might have a tighter turning radius, so that helps me....

Fwiw CDan is in Albuquerque, NM... he is in fact a fantastic parts resource for OEM goods.

The Slee site is a fantastic shopping resource. I'd supplement that with the recommendation that you go and drive as may samples as you possible can. Additionally see if you can't find some built 100 Series owners in your neck of the woods for a potential test drive... they are big rigs and coming from a Tacoma you might find the size unsettling.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

My bad... Sold my 80 a few years back, so it's been a few moons since I was active on 'mud. I knew he was down south somewhere! The good news is, talk of something different than the Rubicon has come up and I'm nudging my wife in the direction of a 100. She seems to be taking the bait:)

Arktikos

Explorer
. Id like to keep my budget for the Land cruiser around $28k.
I noticed of course that the LC's that come up are naturally higher mileage. If i wanted to do an engine rebuild or purchase a long block are these readily available?

For 28 Large you should be able to get a killer low mile 100 or maybe a 200 without real high miles. Therefore engine rebuild should be a long ways off unless you have a long commute, in which case you better think twice about an unnecessary lift and bigger tires. Your MPG would drop from poor to dismal.

DV8ED

Thanks all! this is all great input. I have found a few 06 - 07 100's with around 150k miles on them. They seem clean and in my price range. I did a little research and it looks like an OME suspension kit and some wheels/tires will all be doable right away. My plan is for winch bumpers front and rear with a rack and roof top tent. I just saw today that ARB and OME have got together on a external reservoir coil over shock coming 2015. Kinda like that idea!

tabraha

Observer
No worries on the engine rebuild. The 2uzfe is proving itself to have great longevity. Main thing on buying used is to make sure the timing belt has been changed or if it is due then make sure the purchase price reflects it. Also common to replace the water pump while you are in there as a preventative maintenance item. Not really a big deal but it would stink to buy and then find that out. I think it cost me around $700 the last time around. ( I have 2 100's closing in on a quarter million miles so they've seen a few t-belts!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
No worries on the engine rebuild. The 2uzfe is proving itself to have great longevity. Main thing on buying used is to make sure the timing belt has been changed or if it is due then make sure the purchase price reflects it. Also common to replace the water pump while you are in there as a preventative maintenance item. Not really a big deal but it would stink to buy and then find that out. I think it cost me around $700 the last time around. ( I have 2 100's closing in on a quarter million miles so they've seen a few t-belts.

What sort of fuel economy are you getting out of your modded rigs? And how "tight" are they after that many miles? I would guess they are still very solid and rattle free?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94