2012 Fuso 4x4 vs newer

jomobco

Now Decanter
I'm looking at buying a Fuso 4x4 for a base vehicle for a Earthcruiser, Host, ATW. I've found a 2012 for a good price. Is there a disadvantage that I've missed between a 2012 and a newer Fuso? From what I can see it's the same motor/tranny (auto). Thoughts are appreciated thanks!

John

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello John:

I'm not sure, but I think that while the mechanical components may be similar the computer systems may vary. After we had purchased our 2014 I noticed that some Fuso documents distinguished between a 2014 and 2014.5. I contacted Fuso asking for the difference and I was told that there were differences in the emission systems computer components as well as other computer differences. After 12,000 miles we have greater respect for potential differences dealing with the computer control of all components of a Canter. I'd contact Fuso (check their website) and try to get a run down on all differences between years, computer systems, transmission shift controllers, etc.

Howard

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
FWIW: When I was looking at a Fuso FG, our Portland dealer had a new 2012 on the lot and he assured me it was an excellent purchase because they had updated all of the computerization and programming to the new specifications and that meant there were no differences at all.

Definitely worth checking to make sure, but it appears that a new 2012 and a 2014 my now be identical.

Howard70

Adventurer
FWIW: When I was looking at a Fuso FG, our Portland dealer had a new 2012 on the lot and he assured me it was an excellent purchase because they had updated all of the computerization and programming to the new specifications and that meant there were no differences at all.

Definitely worth checking to make sure, but it appears that a new 2012 and a 2014 my now be identical.

Hello Mike:

That would be great, especially if it was a universal policy across all dealers. I'm not sure that it is, or at least it might not have been with the dealer who provided our 2014 as we learned that some service bulletin "updates" hadn't been applied to ours even though the bulletins came through while the truck was with the original dealer (before heading to EarthCruiser). If John could be sure that the 2012 he's looking into has been completely updated (at least to 2014 specs as the 2014.5 specs are reputedly not absolutely "transferable" to earlier models) then I'd agree with you - it could be a real bargain. We've been talking of 2014 as the most recent model, but the Fuso Canter website is now touting the 2015 model (which appears mechanically similar).

Howard

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
That would be great, especially if it was a universal policy across all dealers.
That's how I heard it . . . every Fuso FE/G that could profit from them got the latest updates. But between the fact that I'm no expert and the guy was trying to sell me a truck, you don't want to rely on me.

I'm sure somebody around here knows the accurate situation. Just gotta wait for them to show up. ;)

jomobco

Now Decanter
Upon conversations with vendors here's what I got:

If it gets the Fuso Good To Go "G2O" update in which is will be stickered as such it will have not only the programming but the DPF/Urea Injectors updated which then brings it up to the 2014 standards and from what I'm hearing trouble free operation. This includes EMC/TCM updates to fix the shifting problem and Emission hardware updates to fix an issue there. Thanks for all the responses!

Edit: I brought this post into this century :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles