SilencerCo Overland videos

zimm

Expedition Leader
its still significantly easier on the 'ol ears when shooting standard 308 thru a suppressor.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Up until the 50's you could walk into most hardware stores and buy a suppressor. They were common to simply keep the ears safe when shooting. They help hide muzzle flash and shouldn't be such a hassle to acquire...and no, they don't sound like the movies, but only an idiot would think buying one would make their firearm be whisper quiet.

Awesome videos!!

robert

Expedition Leader
I need a suppressor! Unfortunately I may have to go with AAC since they will be made here in Huntsville.

Check out their website; they're having a "Damn the man" sale where they give you $200 site credit if you buy one of their cans. If you look around several places have the Ti-Rants on sale right now.

Malamute

Observer
Up until the 50's you could walk into most hardware stores and buy a suppressor. They were common to simply keep the ears safe when shooting. They help hide muzzle flash and shouldn't be such a hassle to acquire...and no, they don't sound like the movies, but only an idiot would think buying one would make their firearm be whisper quiet.

Awesome videos!!

Actually, 1934, but yeah, it used to not be a big deal, and was considered polite not to make a lot of noise in some circles, as it is in some northern European countries today, like I believe Finland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

I'm not sure all the loads in the vids were subsonic. The amount of bullet splash from the 556 hits on steel looked more like full powered stuff, but I could be wrong. I'd also guess the 300 gr 338 Lapua loads weren't subsonic. They showed it as being about 138 db's at the end of the first vid.

The recording levels from being outside will have a lot to do with it. There are videos of the difference between full power unsuppressed loads then suppressed loads side by side, the difference is quite apparent, though neither sound deafening on the video.

The recording levels from being outside will have a lot to do with it. There are videos of the difference between full power unsuppressed loads then suppressed loads side by side, the difference is quite apparent, though neither sound deafening on the video.[/QUOTE]

Great point, additionally, the position of the microphone behind the barrel vise in front of the barrel captures only a small percent of the down range sound. This might come as a surprise to some, but with the proper suppressor/ammunition combination, "Hollywood" quite is achievable - even down range.
Now here's another fun fact, One of quietest firearms I've ever used was actually a Smith & Wesson revolver. 4 inches of barrel and about 4 inches of silencer. And yes, it required some modifications at the point where the cylinder and barrel meet.

Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

Malamute

Observer
I would love to have a good suppressor, simply for the ability to shoot with less noise, even with full power loads. On the right guns and with the right loads, true silent operation would be great fun for shooting in the yard (not a problem in any event) without annoying the neighbors or wildlife. I've used 22 CB loads for small pest control, but a more potent load would be more fun and more useful.

One of the cooler rigs I've seen in the dark and distant past was a Ruger 22 auto pistol with an integral suppressor, it just looked like a heavy barrel target gun. A shop owner I knew that shot one said it was very quiet with standard vel loads. The sound of the bolt cycling was the loudest thing you could hear, and the bullet hitting.

Scott Brady

Founder
We just had a little fun with SilencerCo. More details soon :)

644368_10153267708023275_2895171983125106479_n.jpg

10644460_10153268478548275_5155953169869225738_n.jpg

10441097_10153266883728275_4447507887884839885_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne