SilencerCo Overland videos

Ikarus

Observer
Hello all, I created a couple of "overland" videos for SilencerCo (we make firearm suppressors, if you haven't heard of us.)

While I didn't capture too much of the trips in these short videos, both Moab and Oregon were great. We were way down the Lockhart Basin road in the Chicken Corners area for the Moab video.

We're hoping to do a lot more - anyone interested in joining us for some shooting and wheeling? Let me know if you've got any good spots around you!

Be careful fellow overlanders, this is VERY misleading. Silencing any firearm requires subsonic ammo. Subsonic ammo is hard (if not impossible to find) but you can reload it (custom loads). And there lies the problem.... All the advantages gained by the more popular rifle calibers (5.56, 7.62 ect) are lost with subsonic rounds. The down range audible noise is a result of the projectile breaking sound barrier. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the sound barrier is reached when an object moves at a speed of 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s). Check the ballistics of your ammo and you'll see the problem.

Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

J

JWP58

Ummmm Ya that's why they are called Suppressors. If you don't use a subsonic load you'll still get the super sonic crack, it will suppress the muzzle blast though. They don't "silence" anything, unless of course you're using subsonic ammunition (.22lr, 300blk, sub loads of everything else).

Why the hate?????

robert

Expedition Leader
Tough crowd. The sniper rifle comment was on the retarded side given that the guys are in regular clothing and appear to be either hunting or just out having fun. Couple that with the blurred lines between hunting rifles, sniper rifles and target rifles these days and I'd say it was uncalled for. Additionally suppressors are becoming increasingly popular amongst hunters and regular shooters who don't wish to damage their hearing and are concerned about noise pollution (for whatever reasons).

I also don't see how their name is misleading. Most people who are interested in suppressors already know that they rarely silence the firearm like in the movies but rather reduce the sound. The name SilencerCo is no more misleading than tons of other product names out provided the consumer does even the slightest product research.

That's an impressive suppressor though; I'd love to have it and the rifle it's attached to. The boat ride looks fun too.

ETA- Disclaimer, I do not own any SilencerCo products (although I'd like to). Similarly I don't own any Noveske products, anything like that rifle in the first video, tracked vehicles, large trucks, jet boats, mountain property, cabins, etc.

Last edited:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Cool video, and looks like A LOT of fun. Too bad California doesn't allow us to have those :smilies27

robert

Expedition Leader
Good point, thanks Robert. And, it is a very cool video!

Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

No worries. Times change and the AR platform has become one of the most popular in history. I have to admit that I grew up hunting with traditional firearms- my main hunting rifle is still an older Thompson Center Hawken style muzzle loader. That said my latest hunting purchase was a 10" 6.8 upper for my SBR AR; the 6.8 performs well out of the short barrel and I can put a suppressor (AAC SDN6*) on it to help save my hearing. It ought to work well on deer and hogs in the area that I hunt. I'm hoping to try it out this season if I get time when I get back.

*Shooting with the suppressor puts a goofy grin on my face every time; it makes the 5.56 sound more like a hypervelocity .22LR. I've got a touch of hearing lose already from over twenty years of running sirens and working around equipment so I protect my hearing when I can.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Hello all, I created a couple of "overland" videos for SilencerCo (we make firearm suppressors, if you haven't heard of us.)

While I didn't capture too much of the trips in these short videos, both Moab and Oregon were great. We were way down the Lockhart Basin road in the Chicken Corners area for the Moab video.

We're hoping to do a lot more - anyone interested in joining us for some shooting and wheeling? Let me know if you've got any good spots around you!

Shootin' "civilized".... ;)

Give my best to John's family next time you see them.....guys from Group miss him. Going to try and swing up that way to say hi and pick up a couple of uppers from the shop before I head back east in a bit. I'll probably be in SLC for a bit in not too long. I'd love to stop by and see your guys' shop as well.

Last edited:

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Be careful fellow overlanders, this is VERY misleading. Silencing any firearm requires subsonic ammo. Subsonic ammo is hard (if not impossible to find) but you can reload it (custom loads). And there lies the problem.... All the advantages gained by the more popular rifle calibers (5.56, 7.62 ect) are lost with subsonic rounds. The down range audible noise is a result of the projectile breaking sound barrier. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the sound barrier is reached when an object moves at a speed of 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s). Check the ballistics of your ammo and you'll see the problem.

Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

What they are used for in movies vs real life is pretty different, generally....it's possible you are confusing the two.

also, they are probably using subsonic ammo in the video. I wouldn't consider that mis leading, because 300blk was generally intended to be a sub sonic round. The rounds are readily available, and people going through the process of buying a 300blk upper and a can are pretty familiar with it.....

Last edited:
What they are used for in movies vs real life is pretty different, generally....it's possible you are confusing the two.

also, they aren't shooting subsonic ammo in that video.

Subsonic ammunition keeps its projectile below the speed of sound. Supersonic ammo propels it faster than the speed of sound. When a bullet breaks the sound barrier, it creates a sonic “boom” that is audible. The suppressor cannot reduce that sound. Subsonic ammo will be quieter out of a suppressed firearm.

Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

KiwiKurt

Explorer
previous post should have read "are" not "aren't" *

at any rate, I don't think the video is misleading. People getting a 300blk upper and suppressor know the 220gr/SS round is "hollywood quiet" and the hypersonic rounds aren't. 300blk subsonic rounds are readily available. The point I'm making is that people who suppress rifles that are concerned about terminal ballistics usually aren't concerned with having a "hollywood quiet" rifle, because that isn't why they are suppressing it in the first place.

As toys, they sure are fun though! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier