Kodiak or OzTent?

keyaroxy

Looking at the 10x10 w/ the add on vestibule from Kodiak or the OzTent RV2 . There is a group buy going on for the OzTent so price is closer to Kodiak

Drive a Tacoma DCSB 4X4 and have a utility trailer built strong(6'X4')
Most of the time campgrounds to mtb trail heads
Most of the time just my 7 year old and me.

I know both pack big and not cheap but we are tough on equipment. Any and all advice - thanks

Last edited:

jonnyquest

Adventurer
I saw various OzTents at Overland Expo in Flagstaff. Maybe they weren't set up like they would be with impending bad weather. But, to be honest, they seemed less than sturdy, especially considering cost. I've looked at Kodiaks at Sportsman's Warehouse. Fairly quick set up and long lasting material. For a little more money but with a thicker floor, Springbar Tents. I plan to get a Springbar. The 10x10 will sleep 4 adults comfortably. A good smaller size is the Outfitter 3 (I think it's called).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Yeah, The Outfitter 3, one of the Compact Tents. Perfect for you and a 7 year old, even when the 7year old grows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

High Country Nomads

Another tough tent to consider is Black Pine Sports Turbo Tent. It packs big like the other options, and goes up in a minute before guying it out. My wife, 4 month old and 100 lb malamute had plenty of room including a camp chair for that middle of the night mom & baby moment. Check their site and and also ebay as they sometimes sell their floor models. I got mine for $200.00 - http://www.blackpinesports.com/

foeix

Had a Kodiak 10x14. Set up was a bit frustrating, drying it out got old. Jumped on a demo Turbo Tent and have been very happy... arrive at camp, erect in 30 seconds, drive 4 stakes done.

I am however very tempted by the OzTent Jet Tents. A F21 would be perfect for you and your son...

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I have the Kodiak and have been real happy with it. I was willing to pay a bit extra for the Springbar, but they had a 10-12 week backlog when I ordered. I also liked that the Kodiaks are available at Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse. I really enjoy the extra room and how well the canvas breathes. The only downside to a Kodiak or Springbar is that it must be staked down. This could be difficult if you camp in a rocky area, but I could also see it being an issue i f you live in a sandy area. Not that you can't stake a tent down in either condition, but you will need to plan accordingly. Including staking it down, it probably takes me 10-15 minutes, realistically, to get the tent up. I have no issue with that for such a large tent.

I've never seen the Oztent firsthand, but the design looks real cool - especially that the poles are stored with the tent itself and that you don't need to stake it down. Price looks to be the only major downside.

Given the positive reviews that all of those tents (Kodiak/Springbar/Oztents) receive, I don't think you can make a wrong decision.

Silver dude

Xplorer
I own a 10x10 Kodiak it's a real beast to haul to the woods. Fabric feels like it has the same density as blue jeans. Solid for sure but at the cost of 118 pounds. Once you're past that hurdle you have to consider the other negitive it must be staked down. It cannot be setup what so ever without being fully staked. I haven't yet found it to be a issue. However, its occasionally a fear that crosses my mind when camping in unfamiliar areas, will I be able to set it up. Outside of that its a huge upgrade over the common nylon tent. It feels more like a private cabin then a tent. You have a real sense of security inside. Sets up really quick as well. Quality everywhere and worth the investment. Ebay had the cheapest price, if you nail the right time with Ebay bucks the price isn't that bad.

Last edited:

GFA

Adventurer
My first night in my kodiak 10/14 was in 30-40mph winds at Cape Lookout. It was properly staked out and swayed along along quietly without the need for guy lines. Every tent I've owned has always been put to its test out there in the high winds and driving rain that is common. Some I've wondered if they would make it through the night and one or two actually did not but the kodiak has never been a concern in any weather, even the derecho that rolled through VA in 2012.

The floor in my kodiak is thicker than my friends springbar also but his is a bit older so maybe they've upgraded to a better floor recently.

I have an OzTent Jet Tent F30 (9m x 9m) and although I really like the room and cool little features I was unimpressed in the mis-represented set up time. It is technically "up" in 90 seconds but takes another 10 mins to stake out the 16 stakes! (No joke, at least 16 stakes! 4 corners of the tent, 4 for the fly, 6 for the windows, and 2 for the awning!)

$1100 is very steep for a tent! I have since bought a RTT and plan on buying a smaller Kodiak tent to fill in where the RTT doesn't work.

The Jet Tent is for sale if you are interested. Lol.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I just orderer, today, a 10x10 Kodiak with vestibule and blue screws from http://www.familytentcamping.com/
Cant wait to get it. If you go to the website and put everything in but not submit the order the will send you a coupon code. VALVIS14 is what they sent me. extra 10% off.Or just try that code.Maybe its generic. I been on the fence to order since last October when I saw one in person. Hope surely to have by Expo East.

keyaroxy

Thanks for the code. Still real hot and rainy in FLA now so I have a window of time before camping. Familytentcamping has OzTent and Kodiak so I will be speaking with them ASAP.I know I really cant go wrong between my choices.

srserl

Observer
Keep in mind that the Oz Tent (RV-2) is 6'6" long when packed up (too long to fit in my vehicle...would have to go on the roof).
Also keep in mind that the Kodiak 10x10 Flexbow weighs 68 lbs vs the Oz tent at 30 lbs.

I went with the Kodiak because the Oz tent was too expensive and would not fit in my vehicle.

Either tent will be a good choice.

Love my Kodiak Tent :) I have no experience with the oztent, but the Cosco versions I have seen are not as robust "looking" as the Kodiak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94