honestly how is the montero sport

ATXzombie

Observer
im in the market for an suv, my sierra is getting harder and harder to park downtown. looking for an suv for beach driving and camping and fishing. how is the sports reliability? right now im stuck between an xterra, Montero sport or a rodeo
thanks

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
They're pretty decent, definitely in the realm of the Xterra and Rodeo depending on the year. The advantage is the MS has the biggest axles of those vehicles (The MS gets Montero axles) and is available with coil springs from '00 on up and if you want leaf springs for better carrying capacity there's '97-'99. '97-'99 is also the year range for a factory locking diff. All in all pretty good trucks, If you're tall like me there are 3 different roof interiors that make a big difference so you'll have to find one that fits you.

Montero Sport, It's no Montero but it's more Montero than anything else out there... :)

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Definitely go Sport. I test drove those + 4runners and the Sport is by far the best. Best model is the 3.5xs in my opinion. Normal non awd t-case, 3.5l engine, cloth interior, no sunroof. I considered getting a Montero recently and getting rid of my Sport but decided to stick with the lighter and smaller vehicle. After putting on 265s and Bilsteins I am very happy with my choice. 1999 limited (although rare) can be had with the 3.5l, leaf springs, and factory locker. I prefer the ride of coils and it's relatively inexpensive to add an ARB locker or swap in the solid performing hybrid LSD from another sport.

My only gripes about my Sport is the turning radius is slightly large (not terrible but not great) and like all Mitsu 4wds 4 low is not low enough.

Last edited:
We have had mine in the family for over 10 years. I just bought it from my parents with 100k on it. Loaded up Limited. I'd skip the sunroof if you are planning on a rack. AWD is nice for the wife, but I'd rather not have it. Great mpgs, good size. Weak rear springs, but I solved that with cheap airbags.

I'm a fan. For the money you won't find much better. I've tried.

ATXzombie

Observer
cool, thanks for the input, its hard for me to give up having a pick up truck. been working for chevy for so long and driving chevys its gonna be a great big mental screw job to get used to something else. gm doesn't make a decent midsized suv. trailblazer is junk imho

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Surprised of you casting the TB aside. It has proved to be far exceeding what I thought it could be and I did not want one either initially, but I am a GM fan. Solid powerplants and overall drivetrains with a 2.7:1 TC; as well as a strong boxed frame. Not a lot of aftermarket support, but enough to reliably run 33-35 inch tires. Over 15 mpg with 35s allows me to roam a bit further than other platforms might. The super tight turning radius makes up for alot on the trail when I am out with the jeeps too. I would not hesitate to strap the family in and drive the TB across country even with 165K miles on it.

But of your choices listed, the Sport appears like it really is the way to go. Seems they do have good options depending on the year you choose.

kirda50

If anyone still cares about this thread, I had a 2002 Sport (3.5L) for about 6+ years. It was awesome. I would still have it but for my unfortunate neglect. Even when in need of $4K worth of engine work, it ran as well as when I bought it. I miss her greatly.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Surprised of you casting the TB aside. It has proved to be far exceeding what I thought it could be and I did not want one either initially, but I am a GM fan. Solid powerplants and overall drivetrains with a 2.7:1 TC; as well as a strong boxed frame. Not a lot of aftermarket support, but enough to reliably run 33-35 inch tires. Over 15 mpg with 35s allows me to roam a bit further than other platforms might. The super tight turning radius makes up for alot on the trail when I am out with the jeeps too. I would not hesitate to strap the family in and drive the TB across country even with 165K miles on it.

But of your choices listed, the Sport appears like it really is the way to go. Seems they do have good options depending on the year you choose.

Really?? I'd take any of the above options over the Trail Blazer (including most Jeeps). That front IFS looks like it was designed for light duty at best. Never seen such a poor / weak design. Dang.

shmabs

Explorer
The sport is a great platform if you don't need /want the size of the full size montero. I will second Pirate McGee in that the XS is an awesome package.

I fitted mine with 265s, sliders, skids and rear OME springs, that truck surprised me and many others at how deceptively capable it was. My sport looked nearly stock but took me wheeling all over the west coast and moab without issue, and was reasonably fuel efficient.

Other than a dismal low range, little front suspension travel, and limited parts resources the sport is an outstanding vehicle. The axle gearing (4.90), trans and engine are a great combination for daily use, i feel that motor/trans combo is one of the best that japan put out at the time in terms of driveablity, and significantly better than my 3rd gen 4runner I currently drive.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Really?? I'd take any of the above options over the Trail Blazer (including most Jeeps). That front IFS looks like it was designed for light duty at best. Never seen such a poor / weak design. Dang.
Welcome to look at my build thread and see what that weak design has taken me to, over, and through. It has led and followed JK Rubicons (same dimensions as the unlimited so i wheel with a bunch of them typically)and other rigs in multiple states and terrains. Surprises quite a few people and in 5 years has only required one trail fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke