First Camping Trip with Wife and Kid... Not so good...

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
My wife informed me on the way home that night, that if I would just buy her a camper (pop-up or greater) we would all be much happier. I think I believe her, but still want to give the tent idea a few more goes.
Here's your rebuttal so you can try the tent route first. We bought the pop-up camper and still needed to get the Mega Mat to make my wife comfortable. It's not the shelter and much as it is the sleeping surface. The camper adds mobility convenience and better inclement weather protection.

rcintx

Adventurer
Here's your rebuttal so you can try the tent route first. We bought the pop-up camper and still needed to get the Mega Mat to make my wife comfortable. It's not the shelter and much as it is the sleeping surface. The camper adds mobility convenience and better inclement weather protection.

I really do want a trailer of some sort (camper or equipment hauler) just for the convenience. I would love to be able to hook on with the truck, hit the supermarket for food, and be gone. As it stands right now it takes hours to load and unload. That is changing starting tonight. I plan to spend a large amount of time organizing my gear so that we can be out the door in under an hour if we get a chance to go camp.

deerkiller

When my fiance, son and I went camping this summer we slept on top of a comforter in the tent. Slept like rocks both nights.

We had a 70's-ish starcraft pop up when I was little, I loved camping in that thing. Id buy one for myself in a heart beat. Lots of good memories

Kharn

I really do want a trailer of some sort (camper or equipment hauler) just for the convenience. I would love to be able to hook on with the truck, hit the supermarket for food, and be gone. As it stands right now it takes hours to load and unload. That is changing starting tonight. I plan to spend a large amount of time organizing my gear so that we can be out the door in under an hour if we get a chance to go camp.
That's the biggest reason I built a teardrop.
While waiting for the chance to build the tear (it took 3 years... :eek: ), the best solution I found was to use stackable crates with attached lids, each crate had a purpose and a designated spot in the truck, then I built suspended shelves around the top of my garage to hold them. To pack, we'd just load the crates, the dog's cage, the tents, easy-ups, stove, cooler and our bags in the truck and head out. Once we got to the site, the crates were easy to work with since their storage order presented gear when it was needed (site prep, tent accessories, air mattress and bedding, cooking supplies/tools, etc). The time to pack the truck went from hours to under 30 minutes, and the cooking crates were easily brought inside afterwards so all the stuff could go through the dishwasher.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I am really thinking about 2 Exped Mega-Mat's.

But man... That is an investment. Any experience with those?
Best mats on the planet. Period. I worked in the outdoor industry as a buyer for years and also compiled the sleeping pad test for Overland Journal a while back. The Mega Mat is in a league of its own. I could go on about why, but just know those pads smoke other pads on a number of metrics, comfort being the most important.

This coming from a guy with probably a dozen pads in the closet. :) Gear nerd to the core.

Expedition_Matt

When I was tent camping, I wish I knew what I know now. It's very clear your answer is in some self-inflating mattresses. I happen to have 2 Thermarests (the 2 inch thick ones) and a larger 3 inch Alps Mountaineering. I can honestly say that the Alps is just as comfortable - or more comfortable - than my bed at home. But the Thermas are fantastic too. My point is - no need to get caught up in the biggest, most expensive - and heaviest models. Get one that is well reviewed and in your range and you will have fun! The youngsters would do fine on a Walmart foam rollup pad; but Mom and Dad should splurge on some comfort.

I have moved up from tents, to popups to now a motorhome - but in terms of pure fun - tents are just fine! Especially with insulated sleeping pads.

I might also suggest that Craigslist can be a great source of gear!

walley_eye

I camped for years using tent and sleeping bags with air mattresses. You definitely need to be prepared with some good patch kits and glue with the air mattress and a good pump but upgrading your gear is never a bad idea. Now a days i'm 45 and its all about comfort cause if someone didnt have a good sleep then some ones a gonna get hurt!

I would definitely move to a cot system now. There are enough of them available to choose from.

If you are really adventurous and wanna give the kids something to talk about how about sleeping in a hammock set up? They even have then with a built in tent!

Sent from my Yamaha Grizzly somewhere in Canada

rcintx

Adventurer
Alright guys... I think I have been convinced to buy the Exped's. My wallet hates you all, but my back will love you!

Thanks again for all of the replies. I started trying to do some organizing this weekend and I think I can build some shelves to hold it all in my closet/office/gear cave/safe room. I will be sure to update everyone on how things progress! What a great community.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I have tried almost everything listed on this thread. The cheap foam mattresses work great if you have the space. I bought 2 similar products from the Foam Factory. The best things about a foam bed is that it's probably the most comfortable camping pad that you will ever sleep on, you cannot puncture, it's cheap, and it will keep you warm.

Last year, I bought 2 Nemo Cosmo insulated inflatable air mattresses that are nearly puncture proof. They do not leak at night and are super comfortable. I throw 2 of these on top of the foam mattress for added comfort. At night, I roll the foam and air mattresses together and use a compression strap to secure the bed.

I tried Coleman and all the other super thick inflatable air mattresses and most ended up with holes or slow leaks.

The REI Campbed 3.5 is an excellent choice too. I own 1 and we still use it.

chuppie

Observer
Large 2 pole tent like a Coleman Sundome or Instant tent and COTS. Problem solved. Cots keep your sleeping bags off the ground as well in case it rains severely. Air mattresses cause divorce.

lysol

Explorer
The wife and I bought this one over a year ago and have used it about 10 times. It's amazing... (Queen size)

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountain..._sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PDWNPE84GK5ZJWYQM8T

As with all of our air mattresses, it leaks a little air, but not much. I usually just use the pump and top it off around 5am (takes like 5 seconds). We feel it's cheating sleeping on it, but we wake up so refreshed....

alps-mountaineering-air-bed-queen-rechargeable-pump-in-rust-grey~p~4195f_03~1500.2.jpg

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
way late to this and some thoughts to :)
sounds like you are getting the mega matts :) good choice ! even if you end up in a trailer you could use them and be super super comfy :) so they will never be a loss and on top of it they hold value really well

now my thoughts :)
most comfy matt we tried :) but we passed and got memo pillow top setups which were so close in comfort it was almost flip a coin and they packed down to 1/3 the size of the mega mat ?
but if you have the room you can't go wrong AND they are good at insulating unlike a air mattress :)

the one thing when we did the dual with a little one in between was the crack that is in the middle ? put a super thin matt over it we use a exped multi mat to do that when we did but we finally all moved to our own setups and found it more comfy in the long run than trying to all cuddle up :)
moving to big agnes bags for the kids has worked out well also since they never slide off the matt anymore :) but get them on sale closeout never pay full price

we also used some alps cots that pack down super small and flat :) my bones now over 50 are not as good as they used to be

we also use a thin piece of foam for a knee pad setup :) for the mega mat they hook together and there are some other nice mats

that said we have moved to Hammocks and now are getting the best night sleep ever ! maybe 20 nights or more now in hammocks and have not woken up once with back pain !!!! I am %100 dedicated to them now and our whole family is hanging in them and loving it also
and I even in my home bed wake up with back pain I had my ribs broken off my back one time and had some major knee damage and surgeries on it etc... so between the two I have about a 1-2 hour warm up in the morning to get moving again ? and have to say with the hammocks I can get up and get going right away

we had a trailer a really cool one and it was super nice to just pack food and clothes and go
but I got burnt out on towing ! every up side has a down side
when we switched back to car its still taking me time cause I like to camp in comfort but working on smaller and lighter gear all the time to make things more comfy
had the RTT setup and many other things I am moving forward at being more happy but its taking a while to get there :)

so remember no matter what you do IMHO it will take a while and some hits and misses to kinda perfect and nail down the system that works for your family ! if that is a pop up so be it embrace it and enjoy

I am really thinking about 2 Exped Mega-Mat's.

But man... That is an investment. Any experience with those?

keane

Observer
We have a 4 person backpacker tent for the wife, kid and myself. To keep us warm and comfy we use a double wide backpackin style roll up air matress toped with sheep skins. Then depending on the time of year either sleeping bags or a couple down blackets. We found the sheep skins to be great to sleep on while camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne