Choosing a vehicle to fit my needs

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Here are two vans for sale in Detroit that fit the theme. Im seeing some vans on here around the 30 mark both diesel and with some expo readiness and some just drivetrain. Ive been on this site about a week and just started looking for a vehicle to go to Brazil from Detroit with. I found some older quadravans but they are all rusted out so I found these two on CL. Im wondering if its like anything you invest money in you never see back so just grab that one for 30 ready to go which he probably dropped 50 in or buy one for 16 and put xxxxx amount in because its a money pit? Its just me and my dog and I dont need fancy things. Before I found this site I was envisioning a old diesel work van strip it out and throw the camping gear in the back and away we go. Now I'm seeing the holy grails of expo vehicles and wondering if I need more. Im more focused on the drivetrain and the mechanicals getting me there and less about the modern conveniences. Its between an AWD astro, a 2wd e350, a jetta tdi wagon, a Jeep WJ Overland, or my Subaru outback. Each obviously way different vehicles. Im not planning too much "off road" on my first trip this is more of a scouting mission for a future year long expedition. Im just looking for something that can hold enough gear, my dog and I to make a drive to Sau Paolo and back. This will be to gather information and plan the adventure of a lifetime. Im of the thought that I dont want to build up a 30+ expo vehicle, plus plan a long trip and all that goes into it without at least seeing what I am getting into first. Thats why Im thinking a decent model of my suggested vehicles and do all the maintenance and taking a "road trip" type scouting trip as opposed to a full on overland adventure. I have a couple Subaru and a 2 OBS 7.3idi so thats my background on vehicles. Both of which make great overland vehicles in the USA but I'm worried about parts as I get farther south. Im sure this website is comprehensive enough to have listed the most common makes in foreign countries or something along those lines I just joined and have a ton of searching to do.

Heres an ambulance 4x4
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/4649059503.html

Heres a 5.4 e350 quigley
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4581295328.html

edit- I know about Toyotas and LC and all that. I am 6'2 200 and a 4runner is too small I get real sore in 3 hours in one. Maybe the gx470 but I'm not looking for that sophisticated. Obvioulsy a WJ Overland and a gx470 are similar so I'm probably being a hypocrite.

I am adding a Suburban 2500 6.2/6.5, a CUCV Blazer, a 1/2 ton conversion van, and a Ford Bronco to my choices for feedback. This is not for an all out expo vehicle but for a vehicle to take an overland trip scouting an expedition from Detroit to Sao Paolo. It won't be a long drawn out trip needing tons of supplies. Maybe a month total round trip. So thats why I'm looking for a "road trip/camping/scouting" vehicle and not so much a house on wheels. Once I scout out my year long trip then I can focus on a purpose built vehicle. So my first overland vehicle needs to be more on road and efficient and some cargo room. Something with 4wd or awd would be a bonus I would just rent a Jeep if I wanted to go hard core off road. Something I could sleep in would be better.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Of your choices, I'm voiting for the dreadfully awlful Ford E350 2wd. Add a selectable rear locker and some tire chains. Be ready with hilift jacks and equipment to get it un-stuck. Add rear airsprings and Bilstein shocks. But I'd rather have a 4.6L, 5.4L, or 6.8L v10 in that van. Used gas vans are extremely cheap.

Last edited:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Im going with a Mitsubishi Delica. For a trip to Sau Paolo and back. I will get it and get it freshened up and boost the life out of it :) But serious what a perfect traveling car for me and my dog. This isn't going to be an off road adventure just more like a road trip with a side of dirt. A 2" lift and some tires and a winch and the SWB Delica can get it done for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles